Firmware: Canon releases v1.4.0 for the Canon EOS R5

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
This is such a poor analogy. What you are saying is that more than half of the Ford buyers out there are still buying/wanting the Model T then.

Honestly stills photography isn't go anywhere and Canon has produced some great new technology for it's users but it does seem like they ignore stills photographers with these firmware updates. How about they improve the auto focus system and tracking with a firmware update for the R5 & R6. How about giving us the option to select different frame rates in electronic shutter mode.

I and many others rather a stills camera without all the video fluff that is refined, fast and has a large megapixel count.
Actually, that ain't what I am saying. Your interpretation is poor. You keep dreaming about that pure stills Canon. Ain't gonna happen... Ever. If you think stills photographers are being ignored, then you have not held a modern digital camera in your cotton pickin' life. Just plain ignorant.

• Angry
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Actually, that ain't what I am saying. Your interpretation is poor. You keep dreaming about that pure stills Canon. Ain't gonna happen... Ever. If you think stills photographers are being ignored, then you have not held a modern digital camera in your cotton pickin' life. Just plain ignorant.
It's about as likely as a smartphone built in 2021 with a camera that can take photos but not videos :)

By the way, @macrunning - I am also a stills photographer; I haven't recorded 1 second of video on my R5, and in the last 20 years I've recorded about 2 minutes of videos on my cameras (I have owned camcorders on which I do record videos). However, it doesn't bother me when there are video features in the my camera, or if there's a firmware update that has mostly video-centric features.

On one hand, it opens up the market for my camera to people who want something else, thereby lowering the price of my camera. On the other, hey, there are also updates that have no benefits for video-centric users, too, right? And if I don't need an update... I don't have to install it :)

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

jdwusami

CR Pro
Sep 11, 2020
Anyone having an issue with the 1.4 R5 firmware? I have a shoot tomorrow and I want the IBIS fix but am afraid to take out my R5 as I hate shooting with my R backup body. (I know first world problems)

(UPDATE) Updated the firmware on my R5 to 1.4 without issue. No lens, vertical grip off, Canon LP-E6NH battery, ProGrade CF Express card removed, ProGrade V90 SD card newly formatted used for the update. Hopefully, it works well tomorrow as I often will have the camera off and need to flip it on and grab a picture during a wedding, and having IBIS work on that first shot would be fantastic.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2019
Anyone having an issue with the 1.4 R5 firmware? I have a shoot tomorrow and I want the IBIS fix but am afraid to take out my R5 as I hate shooting with my R backup body. (I know first world problems)
I had no issues with the upgrade, I did read of one user running into an issue but take 3rd hand knowledge for what it is worth.

Best advice:
  • Format the card you are using to update in the Camera.
  • Using a card reader copy the firmware to the card.
  • Remove any attached lens before doing the upgrade.
  • Make sure to have a full Canon official battery.
  • Be patient - the upgrade takes a bit.
If you are still unsure about doing the upgrade prior to an event wait.

Upvote 0

jdwusami

CR Pro
Sep 11, 2020
I had no issues with the upgrade, I did read of one user running into an issue but take 3rd hand knowledge for what it is worth.

Best advice:
I'm going to take off my vertical grip and try they update as you suggest. A good tip for everyone on using canon batteries. I only ever use OEM from B&H for batteries as any cost saving is not worth a battery-related issue.

Upvote 0
Feb 26, 2021
There are some seriously NASTY people on this thread who are showing their utmost contempt for people who use a camera differently than they do.

They should be ashamed.

For stills photography the R5 is a step forward and a step backwards. Extremely good images. For me personally the handling characteristics are horrible.

I've owned a 60D, a 70D, a 5D MIII, and a 5D MIV prior to the R5 and it's as though Canon tossed half of their playbook on how to let people who have muscle memory continue to use their new product in a manner to which they are accustomed.

It would be equivalent to living a lifetime driving on one side of the road and the next day you have to drive on the other side of the road. Everything is very familiar but it's all different. Plenty of people, like myself would have problems coping with that.

Honestly if I had known that while in the "Info" screen that if I press the shutter half way my R5 does not go back a shooting state I probably would have never purchased the R5 and just stuck with my 5D MIV. At least the 5D MIV works exactly like all the other Canon cameras I have ever owned.

If you cannot comprehend that handling characteristics such as the one I just described, are incredibly relevant then perhaps you would do well to just pass on over this comment in this thread.

I'll have respect for your needs when you have respect for mine.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
There are some seriously NASTY people on this thread who are showing their utmost contempt for people who use a camera differently than they do.

They should be ashamed.

For stills photography the R5 is a step forward and a step backwards. Extremely good images. For me personally the handling characteristics are horrible.

I've owned a 60D, a 70D, a 5D MIII, and a 5D MIV prior to the R5 and it's as though Canon tossed half of their playbook on how to let people who have muscle memory continue to use their new product in a manner to which they are accustomed.

It would be equivalent to living a lifetime driving on one side of the road and the next day you have to drive on the other side of the road. Everything is very familiar but it's all different. Plenty of people, like myself would have problems coping with that.

Honestly if I had known that while in the "Info" screen that if I press the shutter half way my R5 does not go back a shooting state I probably would have never purchased the R5 and just stuck with my 5D MIV. At least the 5D MIV works exactly like all the other Canon cameras I have ever owned.

If you cannot comprehend that handling characteristics such as the one I just described, are incredibly relevant then perhaps you would do well to just pass on over this comment in this thread.

I'll have respect for your needs when you have respect for mine.
And your point is what? That there should have been a (stills related) firmware fix for the above in the current release - that being what this thread is about? It's not one I've even heard mentioned before.

Upvote 0

SonicStudios

R5
CR Pro
Mar 4, 2020
Its a blast to finally be able to enjoy filming in 8K without having to bring oven mittens or portable cooling units. The V+ is solid and IMO the R5 8K looks amazing. Last night I put in a 2TB mini and just let the record times roll. I went well over an hour, and still had 58 minutes left on the 2TB before calling it a night. I completely replaced all my thick coil HDMI cables i bought for my DJI RS2 with HyperTHINS and was skeptical at first, but they worked out great. They stay solidly connected and I did not have any drop in signal.

The only thing that got slightly warm on the R5 was the DC coupler. I had the SD and CF cards in and out, it didn't matter, again the only thing that got slightly warm was the coupler pocket supplying juice. The fan on the V+ stayed normal for an hour, but as i went into the 2nd hour, it went up a notch. The 2TB mini got hot, but what card would'nt after a solid hour of 8K recording. When the fan on V+ went up a notch, the card cooled down.

I opened a support case with the Atomos folks to get their take on using 4K 120fps. I saw some tricks on how to do it on the V, but wanted to get an official response for the v+

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
All this talk of video Vs. stills capabilities just seems so futile. The quality of video these days, and the ability to extract a still frame from a 12-bit RAW video sequence at 30FPS, means that many advancements in video capture have flow on benefits to stills photography. Rolling shutter improvements are another example… it benefits stills and video at the same time! The technologies these days are all very interrelated / integrated - cameras these days could actually be worse for stills without video functions giving incentive for camera makers to advance processing power, rolling shutter performance etc. Heck a mirrorless camera is already producing a video feed for the viewfinder it would seem backwards to not allow us to capture that if we so choose.

Cameras these days are amazing! Enjoy what we have… there is little of anything serious to complain about….

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands

Best advice:
I second the "Takes a bit", mine spent a looooong time on '0%', more than one cup of coffee worth of time.

Upvote 0

DJPatte

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Jul 10, 2020
Sweden

I opened a support case with the Atomos folks to get their take on using 4K 120fps. I saw some tricks on how to do it on the V, but wanted to get an official response for the v+
The possibility to run 120fps on the somewhat pricey V+ is a dealbreaker for me, not having to switch to internal recording with slightly different codec and things that coming with shifting medium all the time. Would very much appreciate an update on what they say :)

Upvote 0
What does it lack that you'd want them to add?

Ever since the Canon 5D Mk3 I've wanted the RATE button to apply to BOTH CARDS, but it does not.
I was hoping with video being recorded to both cards that the RATE button would also apply to both cards. I updated my firmware and the RATE button still does not apply to both cards. :(

Also, the VOICE MEMO only records to one card. I hoped it would now record to both cards but tested it also after the firmware update and VOICE MEMO still only records to one card.

Canon still doesn't have true dual-card-redundancy without fixing these very simple issues.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
It never has, on the R5 or R6. It closes at power off, and considering that Canon specifically advises against changing lenses while the camera is powered on, they likely would not add such a "feature."
yeah no. there is a setting for it and it used to do it until i upgraded the firmware.

Upvote 0