Firmware: Canon releases v1.4.0 for the Canon EOS R5

Aug 27, 2019
Looks to me like the IBIS issue with Mechanical Shutter is still not fixed....
Anyone else noticed this? And have you noticed an improvement using Electronic First Curtain Shutter?
TIA
Phil

Absolutely fixed for me at least..
@PhilCrean might be talking about shutter shock at lower shutter speeds using the full mechanical shutter. If so this likely will be not be addressed in firmware.

@Viggo I can also confirm the slight twist we were seeing on first shots has been fixed for me with:
  1. Fixes an issue in which sufficient image stabilization effects may not be attained immediately after the start of shooting."

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
Well I took a few shots with R5 using 1.4.0 firmware at low speed. The first was shaky. Speed was around 1/30 (I have deleted them since they were test ones) the lens was RF85mm 1.2L. I had chosen EFCS. But IBIS effect was obvious when looking through EVF when I had set it to be always ON.

But it could be me. I have not repeated the test. Also, I should try electronic shutter too.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

CvH

CR Pro
Nov 19, 2014
I don't understand - I tweak in manual so the subject is sufficiently bright but not with highlights clipped, and it doesn't matter whether or not if the subject is rapidly moving against backgrounds of different contrasts. For what I want to do, I want to get a constant exposure during bursts or sequential shots, and auto iso is not reliable enough for small subjects against a rapidly changing background luminance. I do shoot in RAW and prefer to err on the side of underexposure as far as iso is concerned as it's difficult to rescue blown highlights.
Correct and that how I normally set my exposure if there is only one subject. But what if you want to switch between dark and light subjects as well as dynamic background? BTW, I only shoot RAW. 90+% of my camera settings are Manual mode with Auto ISO and Manual mode with Manual ISO.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Correct and that how I normally set my exposure if there is only one subject. But what if you want to switch between dark and light subjects as well as dynamic background? BTW, I only shoot RAW. 90+% of my camera settings are Manual mode with Auto ISO and Manual mode with Manual ISO.
It's not a problem I often face. When I do need to change exposure settings quickly, I find with mirrorless I can quickly turn the iso dial in manual to get the right exposure seen in the evf. Clumsy, maybe, but it works.

Upvote 0
@PhilCrean might be talking about shutter shock at lower shutter speeds using the full mechanical shutter. If so this likely will be not be addressed in firmware.

@Viggo I can also confirm the slight twist we were seeing on first shots has been fixed for me with
Fixes an issue in which sufficient image stabilization effects may not be attained immediately after the start of shooting."
Thanks guys..
I was referring to MS use at low slow speeds and have set IBIS to "Shot Only".

Am planning to try with EFCS today and see how that works.

Seems a great shame that the IBIS cannot be made to work properly with the MS.

Phil

Upvote 0
Thanks guys..

Phil

Ok so been out playing with EFCS and IBIS set to "Shot Only" and this is now working well...

Wish Canon would tell us about these issues and how to deal with them!

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
Thanks guys..

Phil
I almost exclusively use MS, and get consistently great results. What exactly is this issue?

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
With lower shutter speeds, ie: 1/125 or less images not sharp. It's allegedly an issue known as "Shutter bounce", or, "shutter shock".
Phil
If you go below 1/60s they become sharp again, it's the band between approx 1/60 and 1/200 that is susceptible to "shutter shock" on Canon systems using fully mechanical shutter. It happens both with IBIS, ILIS and IBIS+ILIS.
Since I don't have anything faster than f/1.8 I'm on either EFCS or ES. Autumn is near, so when indoors starts needing to have lights on during the day I stop using ES.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
If you go below 1/60s they become sharp again, it's the band between approx 1/60 and 1/200 that is susceptible to "shutter shock" on Canon systems using fully mechanical shutter. It happens both with IBIS, ILIS and IBIS+ILIS.
Since I don't have anything faster than f/1.8 I'm on either EFCS or ES. Autumn is near, so when indoors starts needing to have lights on during the day I stop using ES.
Ok, thanks for that insight... I'll check out the below 1/60 speeds on MS for interest, but I reckon I'll probably just stick with the EFCS.
Phil

Upvote 0
Apr 19, 2021
I'm new to following rumors about firmware and camera releases, so I am wondering (you could call it wishful thinking) what the chances are that there are some hidden improvements in the 1.4.0 firmware that Canon will enable in 1.4.1 soon after the R3 is released? My line of reasoning is:
  • The 1.4.0 update has been scheduled for summer (July/August) for some time
  • The R3 was originally due to be released sooner (perhaps April when the development announcement was made)
  • Canon developed the 1.4.0 firmware at the same time as the R3 firmware, with new features added to both (where possible)
  • Canon don't was to spoil the surprise of all the new features in the R3 before it is announced
  • Canon did not want to delay the 1.4.0 firmware update
  • Canon disabled the new features in 1.4.0 and will enable in 1.4.1

The obvious example is the electronic shutter sound (seen, or rather heard, in a YouTube video). If the R5 can make an annoying beep when it acquires focus, I'm sure it can emit a satisfying purr when it unleashes 20fps! There may be countless other new features in the R3 that can be enables in the R5 with new firmware, we are yet to discover :)
Clearly any one of my assumptions could be wrong, but it is plausible to me at least!

Upvote 0

Refraction

CR Pro
Sep 5, 2020
Thanks for letting us know. Is this happening with CF Express cards only? They did make a change to that aspect in the firmware…
One camera (mainly video shooting) has just the CF express and that froze on two separate days, once in photo mode and the other day in video mode. The others have two cards (mainly photo shooting), both froze in photo mode.

Upvote 0
One camera (mainly video shooting) has just the CF express and that froze on two separate days, once in photo mode and the other day in video mode. The others have two cards (mainly photo shooting), both froze in photo mode.
I see, thanks for providing further details. If you get a chance it would be great to know if the cameras are still freezing with just 1 SD card in the slot and no CF express card…

Really sucks that all 3 cameras are having the issue at once.. damn

Upvote 0

Refraction

CR Pro
Sep 5, 2020
I see, thanks for providing further details. If you get a chance it would be great to know if the cameras are still freezing with just 1 SD card in the slot and no CF express card…

Really sucks that all 3 cameras are having the issue at once.. damn
I won't be shooting with just an SD card and it really needs to be used for a day continually for this error to appear. Someone else may have the experience where they dont use a CF Express card for a wedding or a day long shoot.

Upvote 0
I won't be shooting with just an SD card and it really needs to be used for a day continually for this error to appear. Someone else may have the experience where they dont use a CF Express card for a wedding or a day long shoot.

Fair enough. It was just a trouble shooting suggestion which may provide a point of data on the issue. If you don’t have the time to test it that way, that’s understandable. Good luck

Upvote 0