First Look Video: Canon EF 85mm f/1.4L IS USM

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
1. Who said that you shoot in studio at F1.4? Can't you read?
You stop down to F8 or smaller for DOF, CA, vignetting control and you would like your studio lens to be distortion free, focus shift free and fast, consistently focusing in a dimly lit studio, with excellent rendering, contrast, colours and astigmatism free if at all possible.
2. Who said that you can use strobes at 1/64 power only ?? You can adjust modern strobes down to 1/256 of power: Godox AD600B or AD600 BM is an example.
If your mono lights do not go lower than 1/64 of power and you want F1.4 for bokeh, then skip to #4.
And where is that 1/60s sync speed is coming from? Is that X-Sync of your camera? I shoot with strobes at 1/160s.
If your monolight is incapable of syncing at faster than 1/60 second then...

3. Ever heard of shooting wide open at F1.4 outdoors with strobes and HSS - environmental portraiture, bokeh, melted away background, etc?

4. Ever used ND4 or ND 8 filters when there is too much light and you want the F1.4 for bokeh?

5. Start acting as adult. You cannot know everything of think of everything: read, learn, analyse, ask questions and stop being ridiculous

GMCPhotographics said:
Yep....who is Rudy of Canon again? Chuck I know...but who is Rudy?
Anyone who thinks that Canon have designed an f1.4 lens for studio work has obviously never worked a studio before. Sure...it might work fine....but good luck in trying to get the light levels low enough to fire at f1.4 @ 60th sec. Most stobes stuggle at the lower light stuff. It's easy to fire off at max power...just try and get those 4 mono blocs down to 1/64th and see the EV levels. No...it's an available light lens...come on...

Upvote 0

FramerMCB

Canon 40D & 7D
CR Pro
Sep 9, 2014
My suggestion would be to go into a camera store and try the Tamron 85mm 1.8 VC, the new Sigma 85 Art, and this new Canon once it's released. See which one you like best. If you're not interested in any third-party lens, then just get the new Canon now, when it's available. If at a later time they release a new f1.2 version to replace the current 85mm 1.2L II (so a III) and that becomes a must have, just sell the 1.4 version. Canon lenses hold their value quite well - at least the top-tier L lenses.

CanonFanBoy said:
Ahhhhh.... I've waited to see a new 85mm come out. Here's the caveat: The price has left room for a more expensive f/1.2 which Canon says the f/1.4 is not a replacement for.

So what is a person to do? Buy the f/1.4L and hope a new 85 f/1.2L IS isn't on the horizon? Or should one buy this f/1.4 and just forget about it? Honestly, would it be better than the 135 f/2L? I find that lens to be perfect for me. Yes, even with the CA it gives wonderful portraits.

I don't know about the rest of you, but this is a hobby for me. A lens lasts a long time and is a one time purchase at any focal length for me. It takes me well over a year to save for a new lens. I'll never wear out a camera or lens. I take less than 1,000 shots a year. Kind of drives a person crazy, doesn't it? All these possible choices with no crystal ball to see into the future? Will there be an 85 f/1.2L IS? Ahhhhhhh!!!!!!! *&^$*(&*(!!!!!

I have: EF 24-70 f/2.8L II, EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, Tamron 15-30 Di VC USD, and the EF 35 f/1.4L II, and 135 f/2L and a EF 2X III.

I'm waiting on a 85mm f/1.2L IS with BR if it would help and a 50mm f/1.2L IS also with BR if it would help (50mm probably doesn't mean much to me). Then my lens buying days are over (FOREVER) unless a new 135 f/2 IS comes to market or I win the lottery and can get a Great White.

Are any of you going to wait and see whether an 85 f/1.2L IS materializes? Anyone else a fanatical hobbyist that has to make darn sure a lens purchase is right the first time? I'm too gun shy to pre-order anything. I just couldn't do it. These are very major purchases for me. Both my cars together are worth less than $2,000. I have to wait for a bunch of reviews to come out before I pull the trigger. By then, maybe there will be news about an 85 f/1.2L replacement for no other reason than the awesome bokeh.

Note: Even if a new EF 85mm f/1.2L comes out and has no IS, surely it would have a USM motor and better CA control. Surely it would. Right? I'd scrimp and save to pay $2,100 for that (The Ramen noddle companies love me.). I like the idea of this new f/1.4 with IS. I just wonder what might be next at that focal length. The 85mm f/1.2 II was released early 2006. There must be a replacement coming in the next couple of years. Or not. An 85mm f/1.8 is out of the question for me. I'm a red ring snob. ;)

Upvote 0
FramerMCB said:
My suggestion would be to go into a camera store and try the Tamron 85mm 1.8 VC, the new Sigma 85 Art, and this new Canon once it's released. See which one you like best. If you're not interested in any third-party lens, then just get the new Canon now, when it's available. If at a later time they release a new f1.2 version to replace the current 85mm 1.2L II (so a III) and that becomes a must have, just sell the 1.4 version. Canon lenses hold their value quite well - at least the top-tier L lenses.

CanonFanBoy said:
Ahhhhh.... I've waited to see a new 85mm come out. Here's the caveat: The price has left room for a more expensive f/1.2 which Canon says the f/1.4 is not a replacement for.

Good advice.

I'm in the market for a 85mm prime and the new Canon 85 f/1.4 IS appears to be what I've been looking for, but I'll wait for the early reviews and plan to do some additional comparison testing. I've rented the Canon 85 f/1.2 II and Tamron 85 f/1.8 VC and liked aspects of both. I need to borrow or rent the Sigma Art (my neighbor just purchased one) and Canon once its available. Some interesting choices.

I've pretty much narrowed it down to a field of 3: Tamron, Sigma Art and Canon IS. All three bring different things to the table. The Tamron is inexpensive, light and relatively small and has image stabilization, but probably weakest of the 3 optically (still very sharp). The Art is razor sharp, but huge and lacks IS. I'm also not wild about having to buy 86mm filters. The Canon is the most expensive and between the 3rd party lenses in size, optically should be close to the Art, but we will need to wait for side by side testing.

Upvote 0
SecureGSM said:
1. Who said that you shoot in studio at F1.4? Can't you read?
You stop down to F8 or smaller for DOF, CA, vignetting control and you would like your studio lens to be distortion free, focus shift free and fast, consistently focusing in a dimly lit studio, with excellent rendering, contrast, colours and astigmatism free if at all possible.
2. Who said that you can use strobes at 1/64 power only ?? You can adjust modern strobes down to 1/256 of power: Godox AD600B or AD600 BM is an example.
If your mono lights do not go lower than 1/64 of power and you want F1.4 for bokeh, then skip to #4.
And where is that 1/60s sync speed is coming from? Is that X-Sync of your camera? I shoot with strobes at 1/160s.
If your monolight is incapable of syncing at faster than 1/60 second then...

3. Ever heard of shooting wide open at F1.4 outdoors with strobes and HSS - environmental portraiture, bokeh, melted away background, etc?

4. Ever used ND4 or ND 8 filters when there is too much light and you want the F1.4 for bokeh?

5. Start acting as adult. You cannot know everything of think of everything: read, learn, analyse, ask questions and stop being ridiculous

GMCPhotographics said:
Yep....who is Rudy of Canon again? Chuck I know...but who is Rudy?
Anyone who thinks that Canon have designed an f1.4 lens for studio work has obviously never worked a studio before. Sure...it might work fine....but good luck in trying to get the light levels low enough to fire at f1.4 @ 60th sec. Most stobes stuggle at the lower light stuff. It's easy to fire off at max power...just try and get those 4 mono blocs down to 1/64th and see the EV levels. No...it's an available light lens...come on...

Er....yes I've run a studio for many years....
Why use fixed focal length f1.4 lens in a studio at f8? I would usually choose a zoom over a prime for operating speed and flexibility. Sure the prime will work but It wouldn't be my first choice of optics. I can see little benefit over a 70-200. At f8 there will be little optical difference, most lenses are operating at their peak performance at that aperture anyhow. Even fairly mid rage lenses would work just as well. So my statement still stands. Ooo and ND filters are rarely neutral. The last thing I want is random colour casts in my studio images. If I place a filter on the lens...I'm increasing the chance for flare and ghosting. If I add ND gells to my studio lights...I'm adding colour casts to light output.
It's far easier to use a different and more suitable lens. Shooting at f1.4 in a studio is going to be really tricky with anything other than a one light set up and even then...there's probably too much light bouncing around in anything other than a low key set up. F1.4 is seriously bright for a lens in a studio. That's 5 stops different from the usual f8. Even out door shots under available with a bright sun are tricky, I regularly bounce off the top shutter speed on my 85mm f1.2 II L wide open.
So...why the name calling? Usually the behaviour of a troll. Certainly not the behaviour of an adult....

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
zooms aren't primes. even stopped down to F8. zooms are convenient. absolutely. but in studio I shoot primes for quality.

Tony Corbell shoot in studio with 70 200 F4. but many others shoot with prime lenses. so there is obviously a reason why people spending mega dollars on high quality primes and use them in studio.

https://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ISO-12233-Sample-Crops.aspx?Lens=687&Camera=979&Sample=0&FLI=0&API=4&LensComp=1085&CameraComp=979&SampleComp=0&FLIComp=0&APIComp=6

Not necessarily most lenses are designed to operate at their peak performance at F8.

example: Sigma 135 Art is at it's absolute best performance at F4.

again, never suggested shooting in studio at F1.4

GMCPhotographics said:
Er....yes I've run a studio for many years....
Why use fixed focal length f1.4 lens in a studio at f8? I would usually choose a zoom over a prime for operating speed and flexibility. Sure the prime will work but It wouldn't be my first choice of optics.

I can see little benefit over a 70-200. At f8 there will be little optical difference, most lenses are operating at their peak performance at that aperture anyhow. Even fairly mid rage lenses would work just as well. So my statement still stands. Ooo and ND filters are rarely neutral. The last thing I want is random colour casts in my studio images. If I place a filter on the lens...I'm increasing the chance for flare and ghosting. If I add ND gells to my studio lights...I'm adding colour casts to light output.
It's far easier to use a different and more suitable lens. Shooting at f1.4 in a studio is going to be really tricky with anything other than a one light set up and even then...there's probably too much light bouncing around in anything other than a low key set up. F1.4 is seriously bright for a lens in a studio. That's 5 stops different from the usual f8. Even out door shots under available with a bright sun are tricky, I regularly bounce off the top shutter speed on my 85mm f1.2 II L wide open.
So...why the name calling? Usually the behaviour of a troll. Certainly not the behaviour of an adult....

Upvote 0
Viggo said:
I’m still not absolutely sure this will be the stellar lens I’m hoping due to the low price, but hopefully I don’t do anything stupid buying the 85 without seeing any reviews. Thoughts anyone?

Well...MPBPhotographic who are one of the Uk's largest S/H dealers have 17 of the 85mm f1.2 L II's in stock at the moment. Usually there's only one or two. So I suspect that there's a lot of people who are shifting theirs for the new model.
There seems to be an insanity that circulates around new lenses and cameras these days. I think the wisest choice for any Canon user who is after a fast 85mm prime at the moment is to buy a S/H one. There's plenty around, they are available and due to the current slightly deflated prices...it's never going to be worth less than you've paid for it. But unfortunately, most people buy emotionally and not rationally.

Upvote 0
GMCPhotographics said:
Viggo said:
I’m still not absolutely sure this will be the stellar lens I’m hoping due to the low price, but hopefully I don’t do anything stupid buying the 85 without seeing any reviews. Thoughts anyone?

Well...MPBPhotographic who are one of the Uk's largest S/H dealers have 17 of the 85mm f1.2 L II's in stock at the moment. Usually there's only one or two. So I suspect that there's a lot of people who are shifting theirs for the new model.
There seems to be an insanity that circulates around new lenses and cameras these days. I think the wisest choice for any Canon user who is after a fast 85mm prime at the moment is to buy a S/H one. There's plenty around, they are available and due to the current slightly deflated prices...it's never going to be worth less than you've paid for it. But unfortunately, most people buy emotionally and not rationally.

They only have 12 now ;) maybe others are cashing in on a great lens, I got a new one a few months back for 1200.00, I think the 1.2 has bottomed out now S/H at around a grand.

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
arthurbikemad said:
GMCPhotographics said:
Viggo said:

They only have 12 now ;) maybe others are cashing in on a great lens, I got a new one a few months back for 1200.00, I think the 1.2 has bottomed out now S/H at around a grand.

What’s “S/H”?

I am definitely not buying another f1.2 ;D

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
arthurbikemad said:
Sorry S/H - Second Hand.

I want this new 85, even though I not long got the 1.2, I love the 1.2 but I could also love the 1.4 ;D I'd hope for another 35/1.4II, the new 35 is a legend in the making, first shot I took with the new 35 I knew!! And each one after, always has some magic! If the new 85 has "IT" I want it!

Thanks for explaining :)

I use the 35 II for 85% of my shots, in fact, now it’s my ONLY lens, so used for 100%. Combined with my Bron light it’s pretty awesome :D

Upvote 0
Viggo said:
arthurbikemad said:
Sorry S/H - Second Hand.

I want this new 85, even though I not long got the 1.2, I love the 1.2 but I could also love the 1.4 ;D I'd hope for another 35/1.4II, the new 35 is a legend in the making, first shot I took with the new 35 I knew!! And each one after, always has some magic! If the new 85 has "IT" I want it!

Thanks for explaining :)

I use the 35 II for 85% of my shots, in fact, now it’s my ONLY lens, so used for 100%. Combined with my Bron light it’s pretty awesome :D

Agree, if I had to pick just one it would be top of the list.

Upvote 0