Full-resolution sample images from the EOS R5, EOS R6, and the new lenses

herein2020

Run | Gun Shooter
Mar 13, 2020
I'm impressed. Also a wee bit overjoyed. Walking through the forests up here in northern Washington that is going to come in very handy. It's quite often that anything over 3200 out of my R or 5D4 is salvageable, but not anything worth raving about.

I'm sure its slightly better than the 5DIV but I'd be careful to get your hopes up too much. In good lighting high ISO can look good but in bad lighting not so good. I've the 1DX III which (who knows really) may be even better than the 5DR but high ISO still looks high ISO even if it is better than some other camera. I'm sure your will really enjoy the 5DR but don't get your hopes too high on ISO performance. It will be visually marginal. The camera will be great for many other reasons.
Those samples from the Canon Website are no advert for the camera. A camera phone would be as good.
I'm sure there will be much better samples from their explorers of light.

I'm with Hector.....don't get too excited, camera sensors are pretty much at the top end of what they can do for now. When I looked at the dpreview studio scene and compared it to my 5DIV I saw slight noise pattern improvement but that's about it. Do I think the improvement based solely on the sensor alone is enough to upgrade to the R6.....no. But that's why I don't purchase based on pixel peeping, I make my buying decisions based on almost everything but the sensor.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
I'm sure its slightly better than the 5DIV but I'd be careful to get your hopes up too much. In good lighting high ISO can look good but in bad lighting not so good. I've the 1DX III which (who knows really) may be even better than the 5DR but high ISO still looks high ISO even if it is better than some other camera. I'm sure your will really enjoy the 5DR but don't get your hopes too high on ISO performance. It will be visually marginal. The camera will be great for many other reasons.
Those samples from the Canon Website are no advert for the camera. A camera phone would be as good.
I'm sure there will be much better samples from their explorers of light.

I get that.

I also know that if I walked outside right now and took a picture at ISO 12,800 (it's another crap gray day in the low 60s in the PNW) I could groom it to hell and back and it wouldn't result in something I'd be proud of.

I'm bored. Maybe I'll try it.

Upvote 0
For anyone interested, Bryan over at TDP posted some Noise/Dynamic range tests. Both over and underexposed crops. Interestingly, the overexposed crops tend to shift color. I couldn't care less, but still something to note.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

docsmith

CR Pro
Sep 17, 2010
DP Review has already added the R6 to their test scene footage, it was interested to me to compare it to the 5DIV

I am already pleased with the noise from the 5DIV. That is a nice improvement.

Upvote 0
Not a typo. A lot of of those images are showing off the new lenses but taken with the R (and not R5 or R6).
Thanks. Not sure if I missed it or CR edited it afterward but I didn't notice any indications at first which ones were the R6. At first I was only able to find R5 and R indications. Now I see the R6. Thanks again.

Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
I get that.

I also know that if I walked outside right now and took a picture at ISO 12,800 (it's another crap gray day in the low 60s in the PNW) I could groom it to hell and back and it wouldn't result in something I'd be proud of.

I'm bored. Maybe I'll try it.
PNW I'm assuming is pacific northwest. What a great playground to have. Never been but would love to someday. Embrace the gloom - lots of moody images to be had. Enjoy the R5 when you get it.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

StevenA

CR Pro
Jul 8, 2020
PNW I'm assuming is pacific northwest. What a great playground to have. Never been but would love to someday. Embrace the gloom - lots of moody images to be had. Enjoy the R5 when you get it.

I've lived in this area practically my whole life. Nothing like it. Beach, mountains, and high desert all just a 2-3 hour drive from me. Four definite seasons also :).

Upvote 0
Nov 3, 2012
DPReview posted studio images from the R6 https://www.dpreview.com/articles/7423978032/canon-eos-r6-added-to-studio-test-scene
This allowed me to download full size raw and jpg files for 100, 1600 and 6400 ISO. I opened these up in Lightroom, well I couldn't open the R6 files yet. So I resized the R6 jpgs to the same resolution as the R files to allow a comparison in compare screen mode in LR.

First observation, when comparing jpg vs jpg I was surprised with the shadow noise on the people's faces under their chins with the R files at 160 and 6400 ISO. The Asian woman had colour blotches (colour noise) that I haven't experienced with the R. So then I compared the RAW R files with the R6 jpgs. This showed that the shadow blotches largely disappeared. Very disappointed in the quality of the DPReview jpgs for the R.

Anyway, when comparing the images:
- The R6 images were noticeably more pink when looking at the people's faces, even after I set the colour picker at the central grey square to neutralise colour casts. In my view, the pink was unpleasant I would normally correct this.
- At 100 ISO the R images are noticeably sharper than the upsized R6 files. No surprise here. I didn't see any improvement in dynamic range with the R6, but this would be best comparing RAW with RAW.
- At 1600 ISO, the R6 files are slightly cleaner when comparing jpgs, but the R is better when I compare the CR3 file. I prefer the rendering of the R on the faces.
- At 6400 ISO, the R has noticeably more colour noise, but when I compare the CR3 file, the R colour noise largely disappears. Although there is more grain in the R CR3 file, I far prefer this to the R6 jpg which has more colour noise.

This showed that there is only limited value of comparing the DPReview jpg files, so I will have to wait until LR / ACR are updated to allow the processing of R6 RAWs.
Nevertheless at 100 ISO, the R files are sharper - no surprise.
I expect quality differences to be less at 1600 ISO and the R6 to be better at 6400 ISO.

I shot an event last night with the R (and 5DsR) often using the R at 6400 ISO so this is a critical value for me. The R is substantially better than the 5DsR at 6400 ISO even when downsized, so I prefer to shoot with the RAW (also better AF). I do not find myself limited by the R files at events, but expect the R6 to be better. I look forward to comparing RAWs.

Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017

What a nice thing to say! Yep - I live on a little Island north of Seattle. It is an amazing place to live.

Upvote 0
DPReview posted studio images from the R6 https://www.dpreview.com/articles/7423978032/canon-eos-r6-added-to-studio-test-scene
This allowed me to download full size raw and jpg files for 100, 1600 and 6400 ISO. I opened these up in Lightroom, well I couldn't open the R6 files yet. So I resized the R6 jpgs to the same resolution as the R files to allow a comparison in compare screen mode in LR.

First observation, when comparing jpg vs jpg I was surprised with the shadow noise on the people's faces under their chins with the R files at 160 and 6400 ISO. The Asian woman had colour blotches (colour noise) that I haven't experienced with the R. So then I compared the RAW R files with the R6 jpgs. This showed that the shadow blotches largely disappeared. Very disappointed in the quality of the DPReview jpgs for the R.

Anyway, when comparing the images:
- The R6 images were noticeably more pink when looking at the people's faces, even after I set the colour picker at the central grey square to neutralise colour casts. In my view, the pink was unpleasant I would normally correct this.
- At 100 ISO the R images are noticeably sharper than the upsized R6 files. No surprise here. I didn't see any improvement in dynamic range with the R6, but this would be best comparing RAW with RAW.
- At 1600 ISO, the R6 files are slightly cleaner when comparing jpgs, but the R is better when I compare the CR3 file. I prefer the rendering of the R on the faces.
- At 6400 ISO, the R has noticeably more colour noise, but when I compare the CR3 file, the R colour noise largely disappears. Although there is more grain in the R CR3 file, I far prefer this to the R6 jpg which has more colour noise.

This showed that there is only limited value of comparing the DPReview jpg files, so I will have to wait until LR / ACR are updated to allow the processing of R6 RAWs.
Nevertheless at 100 ISO, the R files are sharper - no surprise.
I expect quality differences to be less at 1600 ISO and the R6 to be better at 6400 ISO.

I shot an event last night with the R (and 5DsR) often using the R at 6400 ISO so this is a critical value for me. The R is substantially better than the 5DsR at 6400 ISO even when downsized, so I prefer to shoot with the RAW (also better AF). I do not find myself limited by the R files at events, but expect the R6 to be better. I look forward to comparing RAWs.
I find most Canon cameras are much too pink in any picture style except for 'Camera Neutral' which gets rid of that colour cast. If the R6 files were JPEGS the pink tint is most likely the result of the picture style selected.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0