Further Canon EOS R specifications [CR1]

Nov 3, 2012
Sounds like the LCD touch screen has even better resolution compared to 5D4. 5D4 has 1.62 million dots Vs EOS R has 2.1 million dots. Anyone know if this will be anymore helpful in practical terms?

Just like with sensor resolution, linear resolution depends on the square of the number of dots (pixels). So the linear resolution is just 14% higher.

Upvote 0

goldenhusky

CR Pro
Dec 2, 2016
Just like with sensor resolution, linear resolution depends on the square of the number of dots (pixels). So the linear resolution is just 14% higher.

Thanks, I get that. I was asking if there is any practical advantages? Obviously the picutre will have more detail but is that good enough to identify a shot that is not in focus. One problem today I face in almost all cameras is the picture appears to be focused properly in the LCD but I can find flaws when I import in to the computer. Do we have better possibility of identifying out of focus pictures? any other advantages?

Upvote 0
No way this is going to be under $3k.

Having said that, I do think all the video stuff being mentioned is a amateur videographer's wishful thinking.

Has anyone asked HarryFilm if he knows? :)

===

My sources actually HAVE NOT MENTIONED this specific camera so am I as surprised by this camera as the rest of you! Good on Canon for doing this if those specs are TRUE!

My European sources have only mentioned EITHER a September Photokina 2018 or a January CES 2019 introduction for a new Canon camera that fits more of the XC-15-style video camera with a one inch sensor but replaceable lens and 10-bit high-bitrate 4:2:2 interframe UHDTV 4K codec. I personally HAVE NOT HEARD OF this specific RF-mount camera coming from ANY of my rumour sources, so I cannot make any comment about it. I guess we have to wait until September 5th to see what all the fuss is out! If the one inch sensor XC-15 camera is NOT announced at Photokina, then it would be a likely January CES 2019 show announcement. I seriously doubt Canon would wait until NAB 2019 to announce an XC-15 upgrade!

---

What I CAN TELL YOU is that I personally have a surprise for you all. This one you will DEFINITELY LIKE and it's a bit bigger than you could POSSIBLY IMAGINE but I will see what I am allowed to do after shortly after September 5th 2018! Watch here on CanonRumors between Friday the 7th to Tuesday the 11th of September. I will receive some specific further information as to what I am allowed to reveal. I will likely be allowed to reveal SPECIFIC SPECIFICATIONS but NOT an actual product photograph. I should note though it IS sitting on my work desk right now!

Upvote 0
"EVF: organic EL, 0.71 times" what does that mean?

I am going to suggest Organic Electro-Luminescent Display:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electroluminescent_display

It's not quite a Samsung-style AMOLED smartphone screen but it comes darn close! This was DEFINITELY chosen for battery consumption reasons so it doesn't drain the battery so fast. It also means the EFV display frame rate is at or faster than 60 fps which is PERFECTLY FINE for a small mirrorless camer. This means lag will be AT THE MOST 2 or 3 video frames or somewhere between 40 to 120 milliseconds (or around one-tenth of a second) which is ALSO JUST FINE for working as an optical viewfinder replacement!

It looks like this will be a decent camera from Canon --- I can't see too many issues with it so far. BUT IT BETTER HAVE 10-bit 4:2:2 Interframe 4K at user-selectable 75, 150, 200 and 300 megabits per second in order to make it competitive with the Panasonic G5-series or the Sony A7S2 series.

Upvote 0

goldenhusky

CR Pro
Dec 2, 2016
I am going to suggest Organic Electro-Luminescent Display:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electroluminescent_display

It's not quite a Samsung-style AMOLED smartphone screen but it comes darn close! This was DEFINITELY chosen for battery consumption reasons so it doesn't drain the battery so fast. It also means the EFV display frame rate is at or faster than 60 fps which is PERFECTLY FINE for a small mirrorless camer. This means lag will be AT THE MOST 2 or 3 video frames or somewhere between 40 to 120 milliseconds (or around one-tenth of a second) which is ALSO JUST FINE for working as an optical viewfinder replacement!

It looks like this will be a decent camera from Canon --- I can't see too many issues with it so far. BUT IT BETTER HAVE 10-bit 4:2:2 Interframe 4K at user-selectable 75, 150, 200 and 300 megabits per second in order to make it competitive with the Panasonic G5-series or the Sony A7S2 series.

60fps is a good EVF, Agreed sounds like a decent camera from Canon
4K video has 2 different bit rates 480 Mbps (ALL-I) 120Mbps IPB

Upvote 0

goldenhusky

CR Pro
Dec 2, 2016
Some facts from PDF

Has Electronic shutter
There is a 1.6x crop mode to use EF-S lenses (Never imagined Canon would let people use the EF-S lenses on a full frame MILC)
4K is 3840x2160
codec: MPEG-4 AVC/H.264
AA filter
No 1080p 120fps
720p 120fps limited to 7:29 minutes
Video recording limited to 29:59
Sounds like USB charging is only allowed with USB Power Adapter PD-E1 (It says this "In-camera charging: although it is compatible with USB Type-C (5V/1.5A) equivalent, do not charge the camera other than with the USB Power Adapter PD-E1")

Unknowns at this point
Price
EVF resolution
IBIS - most likely will not be there
eye AF - most likely it will not be there
Electronic shutter speed
Flash sync speed
4k crop factor
C-log
Focus peaking
Zebras
HDMI output specs

I found this under playback section Highlight Alert: The white areas with no image data will blink. Any ideas what this is?

Upvote 0

goldenhusky

CR Pro
Dec 2, 2016
Thx for the update.

Still no formal word on some major items:
  • Price
  • IBIS
  • FPS
  • Card slots
  • (Edit) Eye AF
The next few days will be interesting.

- A

FPS answered 8FPS and 5 FPS with servo AF (tracking)
Card slot 1 (confusion around UHS 1 or 2) specs do not say UHS 2 but has a tabular colum showing 47 RAW bursts under UHS II. I am hoping this supports UHS II cards. Most likely no IBIS no Eye AF

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
I found this under playback section Highlight Alert: The white areas with no image data will blink. Any ideas what this is?

That's your missing zebras.

We can pretty much guarantee that focus peaking will be there.

We can pretty much guarantee that it's a single UHS-II SD slot.

I'll be highly surprised if Eye EF isn't there seeing as it's on the M50. I think Canon will get savaged by the press if they leave out a technology which is almost just a cut-and-paste of software code from one firmware into another. Having said that, it does seem odd that it isn't specifically mentioned in the PDF.

Upvote 0
That's your missing zebras.

We can pretty much guarantee that focus peaking will be there.

We can pretty much guarantee that it's a single UHS-II SD slot.

I'll be highly surprised if Eye EF isn't there seeing as it's on the M50. I think Canon will get savaged by the press if they leave out a technology which is almost just a cut-and-paste of software code from one firmware into another. Having said that, it does seem odd that it isn't specifically mentioned in the PDF.

If that's in the playback menu, then wouldn't that be the same as what canon has had for ages (I use it on my 6d)? - It blinks on image review but not while taking a photo (in liveview on the 6d). It'd be excellent if it did it through the evf in real time.
Has canon had focus peaking on any of the non powershot cameras before?

Upvote 0
The spec list is not bad but as ahsanford pointed out, no mention of card or ibis. I have a hard time thinking canon will allow this to do 10 bit out and have cinema features, this is unlike them. I know some like the whole external recorder deal but after getting the c200 and shooting right to a card I'm over the external recorder as we all should be. I still do not understand doing a new mount and releasing this camera with canons most expensive telephotos, I hope this means they will not be abandoning the ef for a long time to come

If this is a 6D2 replacement, Canon can always come back with a 5D4 successor with a larger body and all the bells and whistles, at obviously a higher price. The bigger question is how Canon (or Nikon) positions itself between the MLFF vs DSLR, old mount vs new. But that is another story.

Upvote 0
Only one card slot? Tsk, tsk, the wedding photographers are going to go crazy, or at least they are about the Nikon Z cameras having only one slot. And Nikon upgraded to XQD, whereas Canon stuck with plain old SD. Gasp!

More seriously, Thom Hogan has a very good article on real-vs-imagined points-of-failure, specifically about the one-card issue. His site is nominally a Nikon-oriented site, but I keep reading his stuff even though I gave up on Nikon years ago. He is very well informed about the market overall, and keeps track of other brands, too.

(Moderator: hope this is OK, bythom is not a competing rumor site, but of course feel free to delete this post if I have transgressed.)

Upvote 0
USB 3.1 PD charging is NOT 5.0V 2amp.
PD charging goes up to 20 volts 2 amps and the voltage varies depending on the needs of the battery being charged.
This is one of the advantages of USB-C along with MUCH faster read and write times.
Glad Canon went for a USB-C connector as it will allow charging from PD charging boxes as well as from AC chargers.
A big advantage of PD charger boxes is that you can charge a 20,000 mAh box in 2 hours from a PD wall charger, rather than 10 hours on a normal USB charger.

Upvote 0
Yes this is a really innovative concept by Canon and appeals to me similarly. It would be good if as you assume it is configurable. Even better if you could use another button on the body to cycle the function ring between different options, e.g. ISO and aperture

FYI, Samsung had their iFn lenses with customizable buttons on the lenses way before this happened. this was on their discontinued NX line of mirrorless.

and Sony has customizable buttons on some lenses.

so yea. not an innovation by Canon.

Upvote 0
Having never operated an EOS Cinema camera, I had to look into what that "Focus Guide" technology is. It looks like it works as a focus confirmation for a selected focus point/area when focusing manually. And that sounds pretty good.

===

Actually ALL the Canon EOS C300mk2, C500 and C700 are absolutely GREAT for both STILLS AND VIDEO since I can extract 8 megapixel stills so nicely with Blackmagic Resolve from my 30 fps to 60 fps video. They really should have all their features embedded into the 7D, 6D, 5D and 1D series still cameras. In my opinion, the C700 FF is a GREAT if large Stills Camera system since you can output at 60 fps at full FF resolution AND use it for Video production. Mind you, a fully kitted out system IS going to cost you around $50,000+ with some decent prime lenses!

---

There's some new MF combined Stills/Video cameras coming out which will rectify the 8 megapixel limit and bring you 60 to 120 fps 30 megapixel+ images so these megapixel limitations on VIDEO cameras will no longer be an issue and for all you SPORTS/ACTION stills shooters out there, you can just buy a new video camera instead!

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
There's some new MF combined Stills/Video cameras coming out which will rectify the 8 megapixel limit and bring you 60 to 120 fps 30 megapixel+ images so these megapixel limitations on VIDEO cameras will no longer be an issue and for all you SPORTS/ACTION stills shooters out there, you can just buy a new video camera instead!

Leaked photo of SPORTS LENS for new canon medium FORMAT system.

Attachments

• 1B31CF03-CE8F-4C51-8A29-9FE73A2198E2.jpeg
    1B31CF03-CE8F-4C51-8A29-9FE73A2198E2.jpeg
    316.7 KB · Views: 243
Upvote 0