Further confirmation that the RF 15-35mm f/2.8L IS & RF 24-70mm f/2.8L IS are coming in September

Berowne

... they sparkle still the right Promethean fire.
Jun 7, 2014
Interesting dilemma, the 11-24 doesn't take filters - until you put it on an adapter for the R, its f4 but way wider and doesn't have IS, however it will work on EF and RF; the RF 15-35 will take filters on the front, has IS and f2.8 but will only work on mirrorless. They will weigh comparable amounts and be similar sizes.

Do you shoot events or statics? What is your preferred shooting aperture? Interesting dilemma for some, I'll be sticking with the 11-24 as for me the near unique fov is king.

... we say "Qual der Wahl". But we should be happy anyway to have such nice choices!

Greetings Andy

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
All these nice lenses but cant make a camera with 2 slots.
In my experience, of shooting professionally since 1978, I have never met a single professional photographer who values or adequately uses a 2 slot camera for anything other than in failover mode, which is nothing a bigger card couldn't do. Two card slots in my general experience is a 'feature' that has been pushed heavily by the press and influencers and is a feature not generally concerning actual working pros.

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
In my experience, of shooting professionally since 1978, I have never met a single professional photographer who values or adequately uses a 2 slot camera for anything other than in failover mode, which is nothing a bigger card couldn't do. Two card slots in my general experience is a 'feature' that has been pushed heavily by the press and influencers and is a feature not generally concerning actual working pros.
So you're saying you didn't use one of the commonly available dual film roll cameras, back in the day?

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
Agreed that the extra 1mm makes a difference, but I may wait before pulling the trigger on this one (I have the 16-35 IS L) first to see prices go down a bit and also to see what they do in the wider bracket, 12-24 or something like that. I love my 11-24L but it is very heavy, bulky and conspicuous, would the R mount and 12mm at the low end make the resulting lens much lighter and smaller? A manageable RF 12-22 or 12-24 would replace both the EF 11-24 and EF 16-35 IS in my bag. The RF 70-200 is an easier bet, while I like the quality of the 70-200 IS L 4 it is large for its zoom range, so the same zoom range in a smaller format and 2.8 is a no-brainer.

I like your 12-24mm concept with IS I use crop only now, 7D, 10-18mm and love it on a FF R series the 12-24 would be a dream if made f4.

Upvote 0

Photo Hack

Hi there
Apr 8, 2019
Strange, I’m not sure if someone’s “experience” is a reliable gauge on the usefulness or necessity of a tool. In my experience, I’ve never needed a seat belt, along with most of the people I know.

How do you feel about Raid 1, 10, etc for someone’s post production work? Probably another feature not used by “working pros”?

It would be a bummer to lose a lot of data for myself as a “working pro” and tell the client, “oh those fancy cameras and extra hard drives are just marketing snake oil”.

Heck my kids have never “needed” a car seat either and most of the kids I see in car seats aren’t secured properly anyways. Clearly car seats are just a feature pushed by influencers. Real parents don’t need them.

Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
I have had cards fail over time. it is also one of the main reasons I use the c100 and c200 for video over the 5d. Everytime I use the eos r I have to hurry home to back up the data so i dont risk a chance of getting sued, getting yelled at, getting beat up/shoot/ getting a bad reputation. SInce i do like at least 8 jobs a week.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Strange, I’m not sure if someone’s “experience” is a reliable gauge on the usefulness or necessity of a tool. In my experience, I’ve never needed a seat belt, along with most of the people I know.

How do you feel about Raid 1, 10, etc for someone’s post production work? Probably another feature not used by “working pros”?

It would be a bummer to lose a lot of data for myself as a “working pro” and tell the client, “oh those fancy cameras and extra hard drives are just marketing snake oil”.

Heck my kids have never “needed” a car seat either and most of the kids I see in car seats aren’t secured properly anyways. Clearly car seats are just a feature pushed by influencers. Real parents don’t need them.
To me experience is far more valuable than mere opinion, everybody has opinions, far fewer have experience. Of course that doesn't mean that one persons experience is common or more relevant than another's, however I've needed a seat belt, ie it has saved me from death or serious injury, half a dozen times, I wore seatbelts long before it was the law.

RAID 1 and 10? I use RAID 5 as a way of protecting myself from inevitable drive failure over time, there are stats on HDD failure and they have a service life, in my career I will exceed the service life of the drives, I see that as an entirely different matter. Does anybody have reliable figures on image loss specifically related to this one issue? Or more reasonably, does anybody have figures on the number of images, as a percentage, saved because of shooting to two cards simultaneously?

It would, but my point was that amongst myself and the working pros I know file loss due to not having a two card slot camera is non existent.

My experience is a single data point, my opinion is irrelevant.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
I have had cards fail over time. it is also one of the main reasons I use the c100 and c200 for video over the 5d. Everytime I use the eos r I have to hurry home to back up the data so i dont risk a chance of getting sued, getting yelled at, getting beat up/shoot/ getting a bad reputation. SInce i do like at least 8 jobs a week.
You could 'back up' your data on site with a readily available stand alone HDD with built in card reader. No hurrying "home to back up the data so i dont risk a chance of getting sued, getting yelled at, getting beat up/shoot/ getting a bad reputation" just a well managed and disciplined digital workflow. I don't understand the fail over time comment either, why would anybody use a questionably aged card on a mission critical shooting situation with no on site failure mitigation where there is even the slightest possibility of "getting sued"? Indeed why would anybody ever use a questionable card for anything other than a door stop?

Upvote 0

Photo Hack

Hi there
Apr 8, 2019
To me experience is far more valuable than mere opinion, everybody has opinions, far fewer have experience. Of course that doesn't mean that one persons experience is common or more relevant than another's, however I've needed a seat belt, ie it has saved me from death or serious injury, half a dozen times, I wore seatbelts long before it was the law.

RAID 1 and 10? I use RAID 5 as a way of protecting myself from inevitable drive failure over time, there are stats on HDD failure and they have a service life, in my career I will exceed the service life of the drives, I see that as an entirely different matter. Does anybody have reliable figures on image loss specifically related to this one issue? Or more reasonably, does anybody have figures on the number of images, as a percentage, saved because of shooting to two cards simultaneously?

It would, but my point was that amongst myself and the working pros I know file loss due to not having a two card slot camera is non existent.

My experience is a single data point, my opinion is irrelevant.
So by your seat belt experience, wouldn’t it be foolish of me to state the equivalent, example?

I’ve never needed a seat belt, nor have any of my friends. Most of the people I see using seat belts, don’t wear them properly. Therefore, I see this as a feature pushed by scientists and the government and not actually needed by professional drivers.

To someone like yourself, I would hope a statement like that would be very foolish and illogical, because it is. You don’t need any data if you already know that seat belts are effective for their designed purpose and car accidents happen.

We all know the purpose(s) of dual card slots and they’re effective at mitigating and preventing the problems they’re designed to protect against, when used properly.

Do you really need any data on how often a card fails? You actually can see that data, as you already know by your claim of a shelf life in your hard drives. Digital media and the disks they’re stored on have a shelf life and failure rates you can research on your own.

What’s the difference between in camera vs in computer? The risks are the same. Why have redundancy and backup only after the data leaves the camera?

I used the Raid 1 & 10 example as that’s pretty much what is happening in dual card slots if you’re using it for redundancy. We use Raid 1 for our working drives, backed up externally and swapped with off location storage. We mirror this practice with our CF and SD cards. Mirror, swap, different location, etc. to prevent loss, damage, theft, etc.

Reputation, cost, legal, etc are among MANY reasons to have a good digital workflow, as you perceive to be doing yourself. I would disagree with your workflow as it’s not right for us and we have a higher standard of mitigation.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Photo Hack

Hi there
Apr 8, 2019
You could 'back up' your data on site with a readily available stand alone HDD with built in card reader. No hurrying "home to back up the data so i dont risk a chance of getting sued, getting yelled at, getting beat up/shoot/ getting a bad reputation" just a well managed and disciplined digital workflow. I don't understand the fail over time comment either, why would anybody use a questionably aged card on a mission critical shooting situation with no on site failure mitigation where there is even the slightest possibility of "getting sued"? Indeed why would anybody ever use a questionable card for anything other than a door stop?
Or he could use two card slots? Lol, this is like saying, you could drive 3 mph and avoid traffic if you don’t want to use a seat belt. Maybe just use the seat belt?

Upvote 0

ddixon

CR Pro
Apr 26, 2018
I'm anxiously awaiting this 24-70 release. Through a combination of renting and owning I've tested the EF 24-70 f4, EF 24-70 f2.8, and the RF 24-105 f4 - all on my EOS RP. I found the two f4 lenses to have equal sharpness, but the 2.8 was better than both. And, I was surprised to find I did not miss the IS. I can get an excellent condition used EF 2.8 for about $1300. I know the RF will have IS, but it will probably be heavier and maybe even larger than the EF+adapter. So, to get me to spring for the extra $1K for the RF, it first has to be not huge, and the IQ has to be even better than the EF version. If not, I'll get the EF and put the difference toward the RF 70-200. Looking forward to the release.

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
So by your seat belt experience, wouldn’t it be foolish of me to state the equivalent, example?

I’ve never needed a seat belt, nor have any of my friends. Most of the people I see using seat belts, don’t wear them properly. Therefore, I see this as a feature pushed by scientists and the government and not actually needed by professional drivers.
While I consider a 5-point harness superior in safety to a 3-point seat belt, I haven't installed it in my cars and would not recommend to make it mandatory for commercial drivers.

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
Or he could use two card slots? Lol, this is like saying, you could drive 3 mph and avoid traffic if you don’t want to use a seat belt. Maybe just use the seat belt?
If he really wants his data to be safe, he should use two cameras, preferably with two photographers as well. Two card slots are just not safe enough.

Upvote 0

Photo Hack

Hi there
Apr 8, 2019
While I consider a 5-point harness superior in safety to a 3-point seat belt, I haven't installed it in my cars and would not recommend to make it mandatory for commercial drivers.
Would you consider a 3 point seat belt superior to a zero point? I believe that’s the question.

The safety or mitigation should at least be equal to the amount or risk someone is willing to tolerate.

Shooting personal photos? 1 card, no problem for me.

Shooting portraits and events? 2 card, great!

Shooting a large scale commercial job? 2 cards, on-site backup, great! Add off site backup, even better.

Convenience and environment will also dictate the standard operating procedures, just as you would expect in car safety. More risk, more safety.

Upvote 0