Further confirmation that the RF 15-35mm f/2.8L IS & RF 24-70mm f/2.8L IS are coming in September

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
I'm anxiously awaiting this 24-70 release. Through a combination of renting and owning I've tested the EF 24-70 f4, EF 24-70 f2.8, and the RF 24-105 f4 - all on my EOS RP. I found the two f4 lenses to have equal sharpness, but the 2.8 was better than both. And, I was surprised to find I did not miss the IS. I can get an excellent condition used EF 2.8 for about $1300. I know the RF will have IS, but it will probably be heavier and maybe even larger than the EF+adapter. So, to get me to spring for the extra $1K for the RF, it first has to be not huge, and the IQ has to be even better than the EF version. If not, I'll get the EF and put the difference toward the RF 70-200. Looking forward to the release.

My plan is to rent the RF24-105, RF24-70, RF24-240 and EF70-200 F4 II for a week and see which I like best. I hope it's the 24-240, unless I win a lottery :)
The rental place is close enough and affordable enough that I am almost completely over my GAS for the f/1.2 primes.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

M_S

Jul 31, 2013
I will wait for the Pro EOS R to come out and descide then, if I will go that path. Definitly will wait for some comparisons with the EF counterparts to descide as well. EF can be attached on so many brands now, that going RF is kind of limiting it again to one ecosystem. At least when it comes to normal focal lengths. For the time beeing my 5dsr and my smartphone will do.

Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
The 15 - 35 L 2.8 would be the perfect lens for the R to compliment the video capabilities when married to that 1.75x crop. Been using the 16-35 f4 L with the adapter. The extra stop and no adapter would be welcome. May even sell the f4. Just have to figure out if still really need a super wide for all my EF gear.

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
I will wait for the Pro EOS R to come out and descide then, if I will go that path. Definitly will wait for some comparisons with the EF counterparts to descide as well. EF can be attached on so many brands now, that going RF is kind of limiting it again to one ecosystem. At least when it comes to normal focal lengths. For the time beeing my 5dsr and my smartphone will do.
But the RF lenses can only be used on the R bodies. So having all Canon glass work like native is very appealing to me at least. Except I’m personally done with EF-lenses.

Upvote 0

ddixon

CR Pro
Apr 26, 2018
My plan is to rent the RF24-105, RF24-70, RF24-240 and EF70-200 F4 II for a week and see which I like best. I hope it's the 24-240, unless I win a lottery :)
The rental place is close enough and affordable enough that I am almost completely over my GAS for the f/1.2 primes.

Yes, there's nothing like hands on testing to curb GAS. I just spent $50 to rent that EF 70-200 f4 mk2 to see how much better it is than my mk1 copy. Yes, it's better, but for me, not worth spending $1200 on, especially when the RF version is about to land. And, I can always rent for special occasions, like last year when I rented the 100-400L for a niece's graduation speech.

Upvote 0
The soon to be closed rumor blog Nokishita just announced that "Canon will announce in the coming days: [...]
- RF24-70mm F2.8 L USM
- RF15-35mm F2.8 L USM
- Lens hood EW-88E
- Lens hood EW-88F"

Plus two cameras ("EOS 90D" / "EOS M6 Mark II")

Nokishita is closing down? What will all of these other rumor sites that just rehash their reporting do now?

• Haha
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
Agreed that the extra 1mm makes a difference, but I may wait before pulling the trigger on this one (I have the 16-35 IS L) first to see prices go down a bit and also to see what they do in the wider bracket, 12-24 or something like that. I love my 11-24L but it is very heavy, bulky and conspicuous, would the R mount and 12mm at the low end make the resulting lens much lighter and smaller? A manageable RF 12-22 or 12-24 would replace both the EF 11-24 and EF 16-35 IS in my bag. The RF 70-200 is an easier bet, while I like the quality of the 70-200 IS L 4 it is large for its zoom range, so the same zoom range in a smaller format and 2.8 is a no-brainer.

The RF 70-200/2.8 may be shorter when retracted to 70mm, but it won't be lighter than any of the EF 70-200/4 lenses. It will be just as long (plus the extra 24mm for the difference in registration distance) when extended to 200mm. (based on the patent application)

One botched roll would be 36 images, right? One corrupt card, over a thousand.

Is there a reliable survey that does indicate how wedding photographers and photojournalists feel about two card slots?

My own personal experience would be that most photojournalists aren't that concerned with a second card slot. On the other hand, many wedding photographers, particularly those who shoot alone without a second shooter, are. In my opinion, shooting a wedding with a camera with two card slots but without another photographer to be in other spots that you can't be is a much bigger risk than shooting a wedding with two photographers who each have cameras with single card slots.

I tend to agree, on my dual-card 5D3 I put the raw files on the SD card and for the sake of it I write jpg large onto the compact flash, and have never had to use the CF card backup, SD cards are very reliable in my experience. It did not bother me that my 6D (second body) had one card only, now replaced by the RP, also single card. I'll grant to wedding or sports pro photographers that they need the security of dual cards, but for a pro doing location or studio photography tethered is often a better approach. The biggest risk of mirrorless IMHO is damage or dirt to the sensor, not card failure, so dual cameras a safe bet.

In the current environment for high level pro sports shooters, they're pushing (uploading) images to their respective clients (wire services, newspaper/website, etc.) every time there is a gap in the action (TV timeout, end of period, etc.). Those that wait until the end of a game to submit anything have already been scooped and not many are interested in their images, even if they are better than the ones everyone has already published at that point. If they have a bad card they'll know it very quickly. There's little chance they will shoot and then lose an entire event due to a card failure.

I'm also curious as to why you save the raw files to SD and the smaller JPEG-Large files to CF when the 5D Mark III writes faster to the CFslot than to the SD slot when cards at least as fast as the slots are used. Does any of the shooting you do rely on fast frame rates and deeper buffers.

My assumption: 15-35mm 2500 usd
24-70mm 2250 usd

I'm guessing close to $3K for the 15-35mm and $2700-2800 for the 24-70mm. RF lenses so far have been consistently more expensive than their EF counterparts when there is an EF counterpart.

The EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L II debuted at $2,300 without IS in 2012. Although the dollar is stronger against the yen now than in 2012, $2,300 in 2012 was worth $2,576 in 2019 dollars. There's also the looming spectre of proposed import tariffs if they ever go into effect.

If the EF 16-35mm f/2.8L III was $2,200 when introduced in 2016, then an RF 15-35mm f/2.8L IS is going to debut at more than $2,500 three years later.

Upvote 0
Or it means some bodies will have it, and some won’t.
the RF 15-35/2.8L & 24-70/2.8L are not exactly long lenses
This is not necessarily true. IS is reported more effective on longer lenses than IBIS.
the RF 15-35/2.8L & 24-70/2.8L are not exactly long lenses. the chances of IBIS has grown dim.

Upvote 0