Get closer, with images larger than life, using the Canon RF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro

99% sure it will not work with the current RF TC's.

2 Reasons why...
Canon's product page does not state compatibility (vs the other 2 big white specifically state they are).
On one of the review sites they had a picture showing a partial view of the mount side of the lens. Although it was hard to make out the distance of the 1st glass element clearly (in relation to the mount), it appeared that there wasn't near enough room to fit the TC (the new RF TC's go into the lens a significant amount).
That totally sucks I was so hoping it would be compatible and able to push up to 2.8:1 with the teleconverter / extender, as I love using my 2x teleconverter with the EF 100mm f/2.8L is usm macro lens I've got atm to push up to 2:1
I spent over an hour on the phone with one of Canons tech support people who was helping me with an issue with the new R6 I just got, and she tried to see what she could find for me looking through the information she had just received on the new RF version. But she couldn't find anything on if it would or would not be compatible

Upvote 0

Chig

Birds in Flight Nutter
Jul 26, 2020
Orewa , New Zealand
No it really isn’t the same thing! Do we have to go through all this again? Crop cameras crop, nothing else, you don’t get more magnification with a crop camera you get less field of view. For telephoto use that can be an advantage especially if you are focal length limited because you’d crop anyway and crop cameras often have higher pixel densities. But you are not getting ‘more’ anything.

But the maths for macro is completely different anyway, you are not focal length limited for macro and magnification is much more literal.
OK the magnification doesn't change for a lens - 1:1 is still 1:1 but the 1.6x crop is still helpful , for example an object 22mm long will fill the frame at 1:1 on a Canon aps-c whereas the same object on FF at 1:1 will only fill 61% of the frame so you're getting an image that is bigger without cropping (the cropped sensor has already cropped it 1.6x).
Whether the cropped sensor produces the same image quality is another issue but effectively you're still getting the cropped pixel density advantage as with telephoto shooting.
If the R7 turns out to have a high quality stacked CMOS sensor of say 30-35 mp then it should pair well with this Macro lens

Upvote 0
My current macro setup is a Rebel T6i with the old 100mm f/2.8 USM (not the L version) so it has no image stabilization, nor is one needed.

I use it to take pictures of coins on a copy stand. The rebel's sensor is 6000x4000, so the max diameter of the coin image in pixels is 4000. Let's assume I have a coin the same diameter as the sensor is tall, so that at 1.0x, the camera is as close to the coin as it will focus.

If I were to buy this lens and put it on my RP, I'd be moving from a crop sensor to a full frame. so the same coin, at the same distance, that just filled my crop sensor, now fills 2600 pixels diameter on the RP's 4160 pixel tall sensor (4160/1.6 = 2600). This is a bit of a loss of pixels. BUT, with this lens it goes to 1.4x, so I can get closer, until the coin is 1.4x on the sensor, but that's 2600 x 1.4 = 3640 pixels across on that sensor. So I'm worse off with this lens and the RP, than I am now with an APS-C camera and the old lens.

If I use my R5 instead, I can get an image that has a diameter of 4,770 pixels (5464/1.6 * 1.4). Which is somewhat better than I have now.

But I tend to just leave the macro camera bolted to the copy stand, and I don't want to do THAT with my R5; it's convenient not to have to remove my camera from the copy stand, and use a different one instead.

Ironically, because I need "reach" in a macro setup I have to pass on this (or also buy another R5!). Apparently, all of the Canon 100 mm macros (even the really old one without USM) are basically equal in plain old optics, so that's OK.

If my T6i dies and I can't get another one, I can probably use my M50 (with an adapter) in the same role as the T6i. If the lens dies, I'm better off replacing it with another EF lens. Ironic, huh?
You could use a 2x EF Teleconverter with your current EF 100mm f/2.8 canon macro lens to achiev up to 2:1 macro with only a tiny loss of working distance, I'm using this setup currently with the new image stabilized version of the canon 100mm macro lens and have approx 5.25 inches from the front of the lens glass to the depth of field focus area on the subject I'm shooting. If you shoot in 1.6 crop mode with this setup you will get up to 3.6x

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Chig

Birds in Flight Nutter
Jul 26, 2020
Orewa , New Zealand
That totally sucks I was so hoping it would be compatible and able to push up to 2.8:1 with the teleconverter / extender, as I love using my 2x teleconverter with the EF 100mm f/2.8L is usm macro lens I've got atm to push up to 2:1
I spent over an hour on the phone with one of Canons tech support people who was helping me with an issue with the new R6 I just got, and she tried to see what she could find for me looking through the information she had just received on the new RF version. But she couldn't find anything on if it would or would not be compatible
I don't think Canon has made any yet but the T.Cs should fit with a suitable extension tube but you'll lose infinity focus of course.
I think it's crazy that Canon has made it's T.Cs so limited in compatibility though - they can't even be stacked or used at the wide end of the RF100-500 zoom

Upvote 0
Mar 19, 2021
I don't think Canon has made any yet but the T.Cs should fit with a suitable extension tube but you'll lose infinity focus of course.
I think it's crazy that Canon has made it's T.Cs so limited in compatibility though - they can't even be stacked or used at the wide end of the RF100-500 zoom
They should make ring what got lense to correct pic so that you can use tc s with short flange lenses

Upvote 0
OK the magnification doesn't change for a lens - 1:1 is still 1:1 but the 1.6x crop is still helpful , for example an object 22mm long will fill the frame at 1:1 on a Canon aps-c whereas the same object on FF at 1:1 will only fill 61% of the frame so you're getting an image that is bigger without cropping (the cropped sensor has already cropped it 1.6x).
Whether the cropped sensor produces the same image quality is another issue but effectively you're still getting the cropped pixel density advantage as with telephoto shooting.
If the R7 turns out to have a high quality stacked CMOS sensor of say 30-35 mp then it should pair well with this Macro lens
Yea this here is what had my head spinning back when I was going to first upgrade to a decent camera from the old bridge camera I'd been using for years, as I wasn't sure which would be the better route to go as I wanted to focus more on macro photography. In the end I opted for the full frame as I would then have the option to crop of course, it's this though thats had many other people who are new to photography confused also when trying to compare what they are shooting against others with the same lens but different body type. Still trying to decide atm between the R6 and the R6 and trying to find more info from others actually using both cameras for macro

Upvote 0
I've got a set of RF extension tubes 13mm & 18mm wonder if using one or both with the RF 2x teleconverter / extender would allow the new Rf 100mm f/2.8 macro lens to work and increase it's magnification ??? Though not sure how adding in the extension tube or tubes would also come into play or if they would do nothing because of how the RF teleconverter extends into the lens

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
And what about the times you want to photograph anything between 22mm and 36mm at 1:1? Your scenario of a world full of 22mm and smaller subjects that need to be photographed at 1:1 is entirely fallacious to anybody but three people in the world.

Besides, the RF 100 goes to 1.4:1 so your hypothetical 22mm subject can be shot at 31mm on a ff.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
And what about the times you want to photograph anything between 22mm and 36mm at 1:1? Your scenario of a world full of 22mm and smaller subjects that need to be photographed at 1:1 is entirely fallacious to anybody but three people in the world.

Besides, the RF 100 goes to 1.4:1 so your hypothetical 22mm subject can be shot at 31mm on a ff.
I was extremely happy with the 7D and later the M series for macro work till I started getting European paper wasps in my garden. Those will only fit in the frame diagonally when using the MP-E. The RP allowed me to fit those horizontally in the frame and as a bonus: the lower pixel density would hide lens flaws a bit better for better apparent sharpness in the result.
For 'reach' I still turn to the M6II, the 180L on that is great for bugs on water, although that lens is showing its age on that pixel density. The R5 + RF100-500 is rapidly replacing that setup for larger bugs like bumblebees and later this spring, dragonflies.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Chig

Birds in Flight Nutter
Jul 26, 2020
Orewa , New Zealand
Yea this here is what had my head spinning back when I was going to first upgrade to a decent camera from the old bridge camera I'd been using for years, as I wasn't sure which would be the better route to go as I wanted to focus more on macro photography. In the end I opted for the full frame as I would then have the option to crop of course, it's this though thats had many other people who are new to photography confused also when trying to compare what they are shooting against others with the same lens but different body type. Still trying to decide atm between the R6 and the R6 and trying to find more info from others actually using both cameras for macro
If you can afford it I'd suggest the R5 as the extra megapixels should help with macro , I'm waiting to see what the crop sensor R7 is like as this should be ideal for my main interest of bird photography as well as macro and hopefully the price is similar to the R6 or maybe even a bit less

Upvote 0

Chig

Birds in Flight Nutter
Jul 26, 2020
Orewa , New Zealand
I've got a set of RF extension tubes 13mm & 18mm wonder if using one or both with the RF 2x teleconverter / extender would allow the new Rf 100mm f/2.8 macro lens to work and increase it's magnification ??? Though not sure how adding in the extension tube or tubes would also come into play or if they would do nothing because of how the RF teleconverter extends into the lens
I would expect to get double the magnification plus a bit more from the extension tube so should be like a 200 f5.6 lens

Upvote 0

Chig

Birds in Flight Nutter
Jul 26, 2020
Orewa , New Zealand

Um, the 22mm object is just an example I choose to show that the smaller cropped field of view gives you a bigger image just as it does for long telephoto shooting .

Upvote 0

Chig

Birds in Flight Nutter
Jul 26, 2020
Orewa , New Zealand
You could use a 2x EF Teleconverter with your current EF 100mm f/2.8 canon macro lens to achiev up to 2:1 macro with only a tiny loss of working distance, I'm using this setup currently with the new image stabilized version of the canon 100mm macro lens and have approx 5.25 inches from the front of the lens glass to the depth of field focus area on the subject I'm shooting. If you shoot in 1.6 crop mode with this setup you will get up to 3.6x
Working distance should be exactly the same with teleconverter wouldn't it ?

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
I was extremely happy with the 7D and later the M series for macro work till I started getting European paper wasps in my garden. Those will only fit in the frame diagonally when using the MP-E. The RP allowed me to fit those horizontally in the frame and as a bonus: the lower pixel density would hide lens flaws a bit better for better apparent sharpness in the result.
For 'reach' I still turn to the M6II, the 180L on that is great for bugs on water, although that lens is showing its age on that pixel density. The R5 + RF100-500 is rapidly replacing that setup for larger bugs like bumblebees and later this spring, dragonflies.
Regarding reach, I found that the EF100 macro has so much focal length change at macro distances there was only 50mm advantage in working distance with a crop camera for same framing at 1:1 whilst also, obviously, reducing the actual magnification ratio. I don’t believe the EF 100 macro is particularly ‘bad’ for that.

Of course working distance is the entire reason for the EF 180 macro that for years was considered a superb optic but has fallen out of favor due to the very modest AF speeds. It used to be if you shot bugs you had the EF 180 L, I think the 100 L spoilt us a bit :)

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Um, the 22mm object is just an example I choose to show that the smaller cropped field of view gives you a bigger image just as it does for long telephoto shooting .
That is a ridiculous way of looking at it.

That is like saying you and I both have a cup however mine is more than twice as big as yours, we pour ourselves a drink with the same amount of water for both of us. You are saying because your cup is full you have more water!

Now carrying a smaller cup makes sense on rare and specific occasions, but 99% of the time it doesn’t, besides, your smaller cup never holds more water than my cup, you never get ‘more’.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
That is a ridiculous way of looking at it.

That is like saying you and I both have a cup however mine is more than twice as big as yours, we pour ourselves a drink with the same amount of water for both of us. You are saying because your cup is full you have more water!

Now carrying a smaller cup makes sense on rare and specific occasions, but 99% of the time it doesn’t, besides, your smaller cup never holds more water than my cup, you never get ‘more’.
Many times, people who are new to digital photography don’t understand how the crop factor actually affects images, or the relationship between pixel density and final image magnification.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Many times, people who are new to digital photography don’t understand how the crop factor actually affects images, or the relationship between pixel density and final image magnification.
Indeed, but in your absence somebody has had to keep the flag of common sense flying! Can I take a break now I’m tired? :)

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Point and shoots actually advertise their "digital zoom" (i.e., in-camera cropping). Sometimes they even bother to separately list their optical zoom, so you have some meaningful information.

Upvote 0