Get closer, with images larger than life, using the Canon RF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro

Chig

Birds in Flight Nutter
Jul 26, 2020
Orewa , New Zealand
That is a ridiculous way of looking at it.

That is like saying you and I both have a cup however mine is more than twice as big as yours, we pour ourselves a drink with the same amount of water for both of us. You are saying because your cup is full you have more water!

Now carrying a smaller cup makes sense on rare and specific occasions, but 99% of the time it doesn’t, besides, your smaller cup never holds more water than my cup, you never get ‘more’.
You've got awfully excited about this haven't you ?

Upvote 0
Jun 27, 2013
Pune
Or tell us how to persuade frogs to wait and pose patiently :ROFLMAO:
If you are patient enough and know behaviour of frogs and toads you can easily get close to them even with wide angle lenses.

IMG_9132 by Chaitanya Shukla, on Flickr

Western Burrowing Frog(Sphaerotheca pashchima) by Chaitanya shukla by Chaitanya Shukla, on Flickr

None of these were setup or handled in anyway.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Yea this here is what had my head spinning back when I was going to first upgrade to a decent camera from the old bridge camera I'd been using for years, as I wasn't sure which would be the better route to go as I wanted to focus more on macro photography. In the end I opted for the full frame as I would then have the option to crop of course, it's this though thats had many other people who are new to photography confused also when trying to compare what they are shooting against others with the same lens but different body type. Still trying to decide atm between the R6 and the R6 and trying to find more info from others actually using both cameras for macro
I mainly shoot Macro Photography and have been using the RP for a while now, I decided to upgrade recently and bought the R6 since I really couldn't justify to myself spending the extra $1,400 for the R5. Well that is until I actually got the R6 and started using it, as after about 2 weeks I decided to return the R6 and spend the extra $$$ for the R5. I liked the R6 in all honesty except for the image quality when shooting in crop mode, I do not often shoot in crop mode just every once in a while depending on the subject I'm photographing. That said I just got the R5 in tonight and so far am loving it, also the image quality in crop mode is so much better at high magnification in comparison to the R6, not to mention the image quality in full frame is by far leaps and bounds ahead. Now I can't wait until the new / used EF Tamron Teleconverter I just found for $79 bucks (Paid $69 for the first one used in excellent condition) can't wait to be able to double the teleconverters up for my canon 100mm f/2.8L is usm macro lens.
Any chance on a off topic subject that you can suggest / recommend a low weight long range lens ??? I tried the Sigma 150mm - 600mm Contemporary my friend has and that thing is a tank at approx 6lbs, I need to find something at 400mm or potentially higher that is also in the 3lb weight range. I'm disabled so need something I can manage easier in comparison to that Sigma, which did a number on my shoulder just using it briefly
One great thing I figure with the R5 (and R6 by that measure) having IBIS is that it opens up so many lens I avoided before as they didn't have image stabilization

Upvote 0
If you can afford it I'd suggest the R5 as the extra megapixels should help with macro , I'm waiting to see what the crop sensor R7 is like as this should be ideal for my main interest of bird photography as well as macro and hopefully the price is similar to the R6 or maybe even a bit less
Yea the R5 was just delivered tonight and the R6 was sent back, one thing I love about Amazon is being able to return things no hassle. It's so hard around where I live to actually find stores with cameras in stock that you can check out / look over before buying

Upvote 0
Working distance should be exactly the same with teleconverter wouldn't it ?
It is extremely close when using the teleconverter but just a tiny amount less, I had tested it out when I was playing with the Laowa 2x 100mm macro lens. As it was the drastic loss of working distance using the laowa in either 1:1 or 2:1 versus my using the canon ef 100mm with the teleconverter. The laowa had like 2 inches approx less working distance vrs the canon macro lens, while I think the canon only lost maybe cm or less by using the teleconverter

Upvote 0
Wouldnt it be same to put one 1,4x converter more to R6 and stop one F down than use R5 with cropmode :p?
I don't generally shoot in crop mode as was never really happy with the quality of the results using the RP let alone the R6 at higher magnification 2x - 4x + ect. That said I've got another 2x teleconverter that I just got the tracking code for on it's way, you can find some great deals out there when it comes to used stuff too, will likely snap up a 1.4x teleconverter too when I can find one for a decent price

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
Point and shoots actually advertise their "digital zoom" (i.e., in-camera cropping). Sometimes they even bother to separately list their optical zoom, so you have some meaningful information.
In the menu, you can disable the "digital zoom" on the Canons, at least.

My S and G cameras have had a macro mode, but I haven't messed with them enough to know what is going on with them. I think I can focus just as close in the regular mode. If I am home, I can just use my DSLR and 100mm lens anyway. And when traveling with the G cameras, I rarely need macro distances. This exhibit of coins in the Tower of London was the closest I can recall wanting to get:IMG_2305.jpg

Upvote 0

becceric

Making clumsy photographic mistakes since 1980
CR Pro
Oct 30, 2016
Upvote 0