GoPro HERO12 Black specifications and images leak before official announcement

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
It looks like GoPro is readying an announcement for the HERO12 Black later this month, with an expected availability to purchase of September 13, 2023. This follows DJI, who announced the 1/1.3″ sensor equipped OSMO Action 4. By the looks of the rumored specifications, the HERO12 Black is a very evolutionary upgrade to the HERO11

See full article...

LSXPhotog

Automotive, Commercial, & Motorsports
CR Pro
Apr 2, 2015
Tampa, FL
www.diossiphotography.com
The 11 is still, in my personal opinion, the best action camera on the market from an image quality standpoint. We use them regularly for work…and I mean we use them on basically every shoot without question of their image quality for the kind of shots we use them for. I want better low light, but that’s about it. Sad we’re not getting the rumored 1-inch sensor. We’ll see how this works compared to the 11. I have an 11, 10, and 7. We have basically trashed the 7 because their battery life is simply annoying. But the image quality of the 11 versus everything else we’ve used is no comparison.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
One inch would be imply a sensor size almost 4 times bigger (actually 1.9**2 = 3.61 times bigger) which would require a much bigger lens (or lens with different focal length, or both) and probably bigger body and more battery consumption and much more expensive. it would be a totally different camera.

Maybe they could do add another series but, I have no idea about business, marketing, etc. So, I do not know if this would be a profitable action for them. But, If they improved only battery consumption, I do not believe that current owners of 11 will upgrade to 12 though. At least I wouldn't.

And the price of 11 could drop at the same time.

Upvote 0

LSXPhotog

Automotive, Commercial, & Motorsports
CR Pro
Apr 2, 2015
Tampa, FL
www.diossiphotography.com
One inch would be imply a sensor size almost 4 times bigger (actually 1.9**2 = 3.61 times bigger) which would require a much bigger lens (or lens with different focal length, or both) and probably bigger body and more battery consumption and much more expensive. it would be a totally different camera.

Maybe they could do add another series but, I have no idea about business, marketing, etc. So, I do not know if this would be a profitable action for them. But, If they improved only battery consumption, I do not believe that current owners of 11 will upgrade to 12 though. At least I wouldn't.

And the price of 11 could drop at the same time.
Totally! Insta360 did it a couple years ago with the ONE RS 1-inch Edition, which could be purchased as a camera module upgrade or as a complete modular camera system unit. It’s sad that Insta360 didn’t develop that system any further and appears they no longer support it either. But I do remember that sensor had a shallower depth of field and because it was fixed focused out to “infinity” it meant a good amount near the camera was not in focus. This made it difficult and even useless as an action camera for most people and uses. It’s a struggle to find the balance of sensor size, battery performance, low-light, and small size with light weight.

Perhaps, as you suggest, we will one day see a complimentary line that goes along with the Hero Black series that is different in this way. It would be neat to have a camera ecosystem that all use the same battery and have different feature sets for different uses. We may want that critical wide shot from the traditional full sensor Hero, but also have a use for a better performer in lower light with a more linear angle of view.

For all we know, the new camera could have a new sensor that brings other benefits to the table. Judging by the rumored specs, that does not appear to be the case. As much as I love my GoPro cameras, I am totally amazed by their lack of any innovation in this segment while its main competitors, DJI and Insta360, have smashed it out of the park with ingenuity, albeit while sometimes falling short in their implementation.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I wonder if go pro cameras can be used while being charged via an external usb power bank. If yes that would be very useful.
Just thought I would let you know that the gopros most certainly can be used while charging, the issue actually becomes them overheating at that point.
however I have done many 6 hours recordings in cooler weather without any issues from a power bank.
you actually don't even need the battery if the power bank can deliver enough juice

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
One inch would be imply a sensor size almost 4 times bigger (actually 1.9**2 = 3.61 times bigger) which would require a much bigger lens
Action cameras require very wide lenses.
There is less of a penalty for a larger sensor since the lens would not need to be as wide for the same field of view.
DJI is getting closer to 1-inch already at 1/1.3".

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
Just thought I would let you know that the gopros most certainly can be used while charging, the issue actually becomes them overheating at that point.
however I have done many 6 hours recordings in cooler weather without any issues from a power bank.
you actually don't even need the battery if the power bank can deliver enough juice
Many thanks. This is useful info.

Upvote 0