Gordon Laing explains the updates in firmware v1.1.0 for the Canon EOS R5

While all this has been going on, I played with a 1DX III. Amazing camera. But, on the last day I had it, I transferred 1,000 images, then immediately took out my CFExpress card. I was actually shocked at its temperature...I would call it very warm.

These things do get hot. And I would prefer a camera that will stand the test of time.

Yep they do. But they also cool quite quickly if not being used. I think even ejecting but leaving in the camera will cool it down rapidly. Given the buffer in the 1DX, albeit with smaller images, you may find mild throttling if it gets too hot. Certainly the Delkin do this once the card reaches 86 degrees iirc (might be 88).

As for the heat trapped inside the camera, well that's a different story.... :)

Upvote 0

CvH

CR Pro
Nov 19, 2014
but if you rarely use video features then this is the camera for you. it's people that use this as a true hyrbrid that have a problem with it, when their work is more 50/50. then it has issues.

also if you rarely shoot video I would have to wonder if you even really need 4k oversampled versus 4K30p normally, as nolifedigital has shown, there's little difference between the two - especially for those cases you need to run for much longer.

Yes, I will get the R5 regardless. That's the still camera I have been waiting for since I have the 5d3 and R. Just wish that I can use the the 4k 120fps for a few minutes on rare occasions. Agree that 4k30p probably more than I need and I don't care the 8k at all.

I get a little annoyed that anyone said that they want to shoot some high frame rates were told to look for an external recording solution as not everyone needs to shoot the 4k hq/60p/120p for extended time.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
[..]I doubt this is information is accurate. Any microprocessor design should have on-chip thermal sensors (it's "free") [..]

It is indeed basically free to add one into the silicon, but you have to know what you're doing and actually talk to the software people. During my time at a silicon vendor we had multiple SoCs that had sensors on silicon. But all mention of that was scrubbed from datasheets and software, since a lot of mistakes were made:
  • putting it in the 'wrong' place on the die, next to a coprocessor that consumes a lot of power
  • playing with the sensor design so readings between different revisions don't match
  • forgetting to document the gates that disable it by default
And more. This was because at design time there was no requirement for a temperature sensor. These SoCs were considered 'low power', so thermal management wasn't strictly needed.

Also, there's a big difference between these 2 sentences:
  1. "There are 3 sensors, which we use in the algorithm"
  2. "There are 3 sensors which we use in the algorithm"
I don't think we can be certain that there are only 3 sensors in the camera, just that Canon UK told Gordon that 3 are being used. And I suspect a lot of details are getting lost in the chain from Canon.jp engineer → Canon.jp marketing → Canon.uk marketing → Gordon.

Upvote 0

adigoks

EOS 750D
Jul 12, 2020
My only concern is the R6. It is hit the hardest since it has no full sensor 4K modes that don't overheat.

I don't personally know many videographers besides event videographers who record more than 2 minutes at a time. I personally don't when making commercials etc.

If they apply this same fix to the R6, so I can record lots of short clips, I will be ordering two. If not, looks like I will be going Sony A7S3 or A7IV when it comes out.

Anyone preordered the R6 here?

r6 update.jpg

screenshot taken from nolife youtube channel ;)

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Besisika

How can you stand out, if you do like evrybdy else
Mar 25, 2014
Montreal
After 10 mins with the fan, it's of course not as cold as the air con, but it is cool to the touch. I did quickly take it away to plonk in a battery and the record times are back to 10 mins. Didnt do a record. Leaving it for a further 10 mins.

A the further 10 mins takes it up to 11mins 52, and then I realised the 64GB card was in, doh! Put the 128GB in and I get 15 mins I get at the start. So a significant improvement over what I got with fw 1.0 using the same fan (2hrs). Changing the algorithm has certainly made some welcome changes.

These are of course ideal temps. Controlled env, indoors. This USB or battery powered fan costs about 100HKD, about 10 GBP, 12USD.

Next test, I put the table and camera outside on the balcony. This probably took around 5 mins to find another extension cable, but the camera was still cooler from the 5" fan cooling it. I would guess the temp is around 30 degrees C (86 F) / 76 percent humidity according to the iphone temp app (which does it based on location). Not in direct sunlight, it is in the shade, and that's just giving an idea. I havent done this test with FW 1.0, so I have no comparison other than the indoor times. Although the picture shows the 5" fan, it isn't switched on during recording, I am only using it for cooldown. I get 18mins 31s. of recording (test 3 MC)

After 20mins with the 5" fan, I get 5mins recording displayed. I then rotated to portrait in case that is better cooling for a further 10 mins. Still says 5 mins. Hit the record button so I can get it to overheat and then see what the cooldown is without the fan.

Actual recording on the balcony is 12mins 1s before it shuts down (test 4 MC)

After 20 mins, with no fan, and no picture to show :D - the internal recording tells me 4mins. I leave it a further 10 mins. It tells me 5mins. Recording on the balcony gives me 8mins 4s

Oh and correction, sorry, it is 8k25 with clog, IPB, no IBIS, no AF. Have corrected that in the prev post.

I uploaded these pics from the iphone (FW Test 3-1, 3-2 and 3-3) with no editing, no cropping, no downsizing just in case someone would feel that I might somehow cheat...

Summary:
1st Test from power up (off all night) 19mins 56s
Next to air con unit for 15 mins.

2nd Test (indoors) 26m (ran out of storage, and then would not record further)
Cool down with 5" Fan for 15mins

3rd Test Outside on Balcony 18mins 31secs.
Cool down with 5" fan on Balcony. After 20mins it stated 5 mins. After a futher 10 mins still 5 mins.

4th Test Outside on Balcony 12mins 1s
Cool down by itself. After 20 mins it says 4 mins available and it feels midly warm. After a further 10 it tells me 5 mins.

5th Test (final) outside on Balcony 8mins 4s

Conclusions (mine!)

Indoors, with a 5" USB fan and some form of env temp control, then I think the recovery time has decreased a lot. For me, 2hrs down to 20 mins.

Outdoors, same fan, it gave me around 50% more recording time for the same cooldown period.
Thanks for sharing, I am ordering the fan. Sounds like a great solution for my work flow.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
So I’ve now had my r5 for almost a month.
i took it travelling through hot weather all of august. I shoot with the 35m rf, autofocus and ibis always on, screen at the highest brightness, evf as well...
I’m a 40% photo / 60% video shooter. Run and gun style. For video, I only shoot at 24pHQ4K, burst of 30sec/1min.
I shot a lot with it already, sometimes out shooting for the entire day, shooting over 250gb of footage. I was very worried about OH, but as of today, I report that I still have NEVER SEEN the red overheating icon show up on my screen. That’s my experience with it, but I’m not trying to push it to force it to overheat like most trolls on the internet. I’m just using it in real life. The limit decreases 5 mins by 5 mins. So when I start it shows me 25 mins. Then later it goes to 20 mins. The worst I got was 15 mins. So I still had a lot of margin left to shoot.
I think that for most hybrid shooters, wedding, etc... the camera will be fine. People just can’t handle that they were given a limitation. Like a kid to whom you tel he can eat only 5 candies. We would get sick by the 4th and stop on his on if you hadn’t said anything, but because you limited him, all of a sudden he wants 10 of them.

Now the over heating is not a problème to me anymore, I do have another issue that doesn’t let me sleep at night though: the A7Siii!! The images I’m seeing on YouTube are so sexy! I love the image of my r5, but I personally have a preference for the Sony look. So I’m hesitating to switch to Sony and go all in on the fe mount.

I would give you guys my Instagram handle to check out all the r5 footage I got so far but not sure I’m im allowed to “advertise” myself here ....

Ps. I think that most people complaining about the r5 limits are the people who never actually tried it. So stupid to judge without knowing. Humans ...
It was the same with the R. Everyone bashed it at first, and about a year ago, every YouTuber started posting videos “I was wrong about the eos R” and all of a sudden it was the worlds best camera.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
Oh no, I am not implying you need an R5 for social media videos. I am saying that if you purchase an R5, it needs to have the video features it claims.
If I purchase an R5, it needs to have stills, ergonomics, ruggedness, and durability performance it claims. That's what I'm willing to pay $4k for. The ability to record short video clips is just a bonus.

Now, this camera is not getting any significantly improved video performance without reducing its value to me. And me is the target market for this camera. Not TikTokers, not forum trolls.

It was marketed as a hybrid camera breakthrough. It needs to be usable in equal capacity.
It doesn't. It might have needed a more honest marketing, though.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Actual temp and shutdown temp should be visible on the screen.

I am ok if overheats within 5 minutes or 30 minutes, does not matter.

What i am no buying is this recovery timer, it is not real.
I've submitted that request to Canon already about providing some warning to when it will overheat. Rather than the overheat, although many have found you still have extra time. Still I agree, some sort of temp on the screen would allow you to adjust your shooting a little to perhaps maximise.

More people who log it with Canon, more chance we have (not saying it's great, but right now I think they are more responsive).

The recovery time has improved, no doubt about it that external cooling improved times for me in my tests today. Sure I want to do more but previously I got no where with a USB fan - took 2 hours. Today, I cooled it down after it hit max temp after 15 mins. That was indoors in a well air-conned appt. Outside it is clearly more tricky. If the sunshine comes back out tomorrow I will do some more tests. Over at DPR, one of the guys in the forums has asked me to repeat the tests with the screen open, and I should also do them with AF and IBIS.

It depends on your use-case(s) as to whether the R5 would work for you or not.

Upvote 0
It doesn't. It might have needed a more honest marketing, though.
Ha ha. I agree, but soooooo many companies push that boundary, and every news outlet certainly seems to (if only cause they are forced to in order to draw people away from Social Media outlets). I think most rational people will sift through the various sites and people they trust, perhaps wait and then decide.

I broke my habit and bought the R5 immediately, but that was purely cause I don't know how long I will be still living in HK and here we pay no sales tax. In the UK the R5 would cost me £1000 more (20% sales tax). True I take a gamble on warranty, but worst case I have to courier it back to HK. Still won't cost me anywhere near £1000.

Upvote 0
So I’ve now had my r5 for almost a month.
i took it travelling through hot weather all of august. I shoot with the 35m rf, autofocus and ibis always on, screen at the highest brightness, evf as well...
I’m a 40% photo / 60% video shooter. Run and gun style. For video, I only shoot at 24pHQ4K, burst of 30sec/1min.
I shot a lot with it already, sometimes out shooting for the entire day, shooting over 250gb of footage. I was very worried about OH, but as of today, I report that I still have NEVER SEEN the red overheating icon show up on my screen. That’s my experience with it, but I’m not trying to push it to force it to overheat like most trolls on the internet. I’m just using it in real life. The limit decreases 5 mins by 5 mins. So when I start it shows me 25 mins. Then later it goes to 20 mins. The worst I got was 15 mins. So I still had a lot of margin left to shoot.
I think that for most hybrid shooters, wedding, etc... the camera will be fine. People just can’t handle that they were given a limitation. Like a kid to whom you tel he can eat only 5 candies. We would get sick by the 4th and stop on his on if you hadn’t said anything, but because you limited him, all of a sudden he wants 10 of them.

Now the over heating is not a problème to me anymore, I do have another issue that doesn’t let me sleep at night though: the A7Siii!! The images I’m seeing on YouTube are so sexy! I love the image of my r5, but I personally have a preference for the Sony look. So I’m hesitating to switch to Sony and go all in on the fe mount.

I would give you guys my Instagram handle to check out all the r5 footage I got so far but not sure I’m im allowed to “advertise” myself here ....

Ps. I think that most people complaining about the r5 limits are the people who never actually tried it. So stupid to judge without knowing. Humans ...
It was the same with the R. Everyone bashed it at first, and about a year ago, every YouTuber started posting videos “I was wrong about the eos R” and all of a sudden it was the worlds best camera.

You got to travel. Lucky Man. Thanks for sharing your experience

Re Sony - is that video and thus just the way it has been graded perhaps? Or are you talking stills (which I don't think you are).

Upvote 0
You got to travel. Lucky Man. Thanks for sharing your experience

Re Sony - is that video and thus just the way it has been graded perhaps? Or are you talking stills (which I don't think you are).

yes, I travelled all around Europe by car. It’s been amazing cause it’s American free this year. I love Americans, but it’s nice to have less people for once

about the Sony, it’s all the footage Ive seen so far. Particularly Philip blooms footage, and also Brandon Li. Can’t ignore either Gerald who decided to cancel the c300 to get the a7siii instead. But in general, I have always preferred Sony’s image quality. Last year, I shot with an eos r and a7riv. I still preferred the internal 8 bit image much more than the ninja v 10 but eos r. It’s my personal preference.
when I got my r5, it was obviously far superior for video than the a7riv so I swithced, but now that the a7siii, I can sleep at night anymore.

Upvote 0
I've submitted that request to Canon already about providing some warning to when it will overheat. Rather than the overheat, although many have found you still have extra time. Still I agree, some sort of temp on the screen would allow you to adjust your shooting a little to perhaps maximise.

More people who log it with Canon, more chance we have (not saying it's great, but right now I think they are more responsive).

The recovery time has improved, no doubt about it that external cooling improved times for me in my tests today. Sure I want to do more but previously I got no where with a USB fan - took 2 hours. Today, I cooled it down after it hit max temp after 15 mins. That was indoors in a well air-conned appt. Outside it is clearly more tricky. If the sunshine comes back out tomorrow I will do some more tests. Over at DPR, one of the guys in the forums has asked me to repeat the tests with the screen open, and I should also do them with AF and IBIS.

It depends on your use-case(s) as to whether the R5 would work for you or not.

Did you cooled it in 15 minutes to full recording time?
That is a great news.

Upvote 0
I love Americans, but it’s nice to have less people for once...

Agreed!

I'm an American, and even I get tired of the average American tourist.* My visit to the Grand Canyon with my family this summer was orders of magnitude more enjoyable because there was almost no one there. No need to go early to claim a tripod space for sunrise or sunset at the famous viewpoints! Just peaceful silence and stunning views...

*Tips for American tourists:

#1 Be polite and respectful of people, places and culture.
#2 Learn a little of the language -- especially words that help with #1.
#3 Wear a pin of the Canadian flag. ;)

• Haha
Upvote 0
Feb 13, 2018
not really. increased CPU temperature will increase ambient. what it probably means is that Canon is more concerned about a temperature lower than the threshold temperature of the CPU.
No, a microchip runs tens or more degrees hotter than its ambient, especially when doing something like transcoding 8K.
Also, you cannot protect the silicon by by measuring ambient; you need the thermal sensor on the die (where exactly is a nontrivial question).

they could be simply referring to the actual descrete thermal sensors.
Maybe..

Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
Agreed!

I'm an American, and even I get tired of the average American tourist.* My visit to the Grand Canyon with my family this summer was orders of magnitude more enjoyable because there was almost no one there. No need to go early to claim a tripod space for sunrise or sunset at the famous viewpoints! Just peaceful silence and stunning views...

Hilarious. Advice for Americans?

Read number 1, then read number 3.

Upvote 0
Did you cooled it in 15 minutes to full recording time?
That is a great news.

Yes but that was in a air con appt, with temp probably below the Canon rating of 23 degrees. So the fan would have been blowing cool air, and the Aircon unit when I used that, was at 18 deg and on turbo mode :) :)

We need to see if others find similar values, in case somehow I messed up, but I did try and keep everything consisent

I'm gonna do some more tests tomorrow to see if it holds true.

Upvote 0
Agreed!

Great advice! eH?

Haha!

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0