Has the forum gone quiet?

What is the size restriction on posting photos? It seems one can only post at a lower resolution than one used to on the old forum. I noticed, too, that some photos I posted this morning appear in the forum as small thumbnails while other photos appear larger. I can expand the pictures by double clicking on the thumbnails but I wonder why the discrepancy in viewing size.

Upvote 0
What is the size restriction on posting photos? It seems one can only post at a lower resolution than one used to on the old forum. I noticed, too, that some photos I posted this morning appear in the forum as small thumbnails while other photos appear larger. I can expand the pictures by double clicking on the thumbnails but I wonder why the discrepancy in viewing size.

Experience of the last week - 1MB max per attached picture (or other attachment probably)

Wiebe.

Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com

When you "attach files", press the "full image" option or a thumbnail will show by default. You can also drag and drop into your post as "insert image".

I've updated the image size cap from 1mb to 5mb. That should be sufficient.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Any particular reason the main page blog photos are so huge?
This is what the home page looks like to me on Firefox with a maximized 1920x1080 window.

Screen Shot 2018-08-03 at 11.21.25 AM.png

Shrinking the window down (left to right, reducing the 1920 to something narrower) does scale down some UI elements as I do it, but the menu disappears early in that reduction and the main story art (that EOS M above) scales down late and remains pretty damn large. It means I need to pan down a good two screens at a time to jump to the next story. Seems a very awkward form of information processing compared to other news sites.

- A

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
Hi Sporgon.
I think it would be a loss to the forum if you gave in, I feel that you are a valuable contributor.
What is it about the forum that you feel has gone backwards?

Cheers, Graham.

Bad wording on my part, I meant I'd commit some time to understanding it, not throw my teddy out of the pram. Getting the hang of it now, but I don't like the way private messages have become "Inbox". It's telling me I have about a hundred messages, all of which date back to my whole time on CR, and I can't find how to clear them or at least 'mark as read'. How am I supposed to know when my regular warnings for political incorrectness come through ? Perhaps someone who's now an expert on the forum can tell me how to do this.

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Sporgon.
Open the messages, select show all, select the first message and a bar appears at the bottom where you have select all and choose action where you can mark all read, select all, deselect the unread ones and then you are done! Took me a while to figure it out, why not have the select all button in plain sight with the select header, at least then you would have an idea where it was heading! :)

Cheers, Graham.
Ps why can’t I use all the nice emoticons on my iPad like before instead of the meh ones on here!

Bad wording on my part, I meant I'd commit some time to understanding it, not throw my teddy out of the pram. Getting the hang of it now, but I don't like the way private messages have become "Inbox". It's telling me I have about a hundred messages, all of which date back to my whole time on CR, and I can't find how to clear them or at least 'mark as read'. How am I supposed to know when my regular warnings for political incorrectness come through ? Perhaps someone who's now an expert on the forum can tell me how to do this.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
Hi Sporgon.
Open the messages, select show all, select the first message and a bar appears at the bottom where you have select all and choose action where you can mark all read, select all, deselect the unread ones and then you are done! Took me a while to figure it out, why not have the select all button in plain sight with the select header, at least then you would have an idea where it was heading! :)

Cheers, Graham.
Ps why can’t I use all the nice emoticons on my iPad like before instead of the meh ones on here!

Thanks Graham, that didn't seem to work before on the iPad but it does not. All sorted - even the iPad emoticons

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Same for me, plus some scrambling after editing ?
I have occasionally found the message reverts to a previous version if you edit and also sometimes if I select a word and delete or cut it I find I can no longer scroll up the page to see other replies to a message I have quoted, the page just sort of shudders up and down a line or two. I’m not certain but I think I encountered this on the old platform too so it may be my end not theirs!

Upvote 0
Feb 26, 2012
AB
We were probably writing FORTRAN before he was born.

even if we are retired it'll take some spare time to click on funky new interface elements to figure out what they all do.

Trend of the last few years is to obfuscate UI on OSes and websites into some sort of abstract form that may be better understood across international or illiterate users... LOL

CR is improving since the lurch to a new platform but will hopefully become as easy to navigate as the previous one. Good to transition during the off-peak time of year.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
I don't have a strong feeling for the new vs old forum software, I just got a little bored when people who make stuff up get as much recognition as people who know their stuff and get blasted for pointing out inaccuracies and the worst of the bull----. I also find the constant Canon bashing tiresome, like every poster would be the next greatest photographer ever if they only had one more feature or improved spec, DR being the darling.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0