Help! I'm impatient!

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

aaronh

I just started saving up for a 5D Mark 2. I've been getting really unhappy with the low-light performance of my 60D and then I tried someone's 5d2. I am ruined.

Lenses I currently have with my 60D are the 18-135mm kit lens, 24mm f/2.8, 50mm f/1.8, and a 70-200 f/2.8L IS (Mark 1).

Here's the problem... I won't be able to afford the new camera for a few months and I'm really impatient. What should I do in the meantime? Any ideas on how to squeeze a little more out of my current set-up?

dr croubie

Too many photos, too little time.
Jun 1, 2011
If you need more low-light performance, you can try out the Canon 35/1.4L or Samyang 35/1.4 (manual focus, 1/3 the price).
Either of them make great low-light "normal" lenses on APS-C for loosely-cropped, body, or half-body portraits, Then if/when you go Full Frame they're a really good landscape / group-portrait lens.

Or go a Canon EF-s 17-55 f/2.8 IS or Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 *non*-VC, and sell it with your 60D when you upgrade, at least with the canon you can get back maybe 80% of new-price (or buy it second-hand to begin with).

Upvote 0
B

Brad_Randmark

I know the feeling. Once you see the limitations of a piece of equipment, that flaw starts to eat away at your mind. Don't let that get in your head - go take pictures. I assure you that there are gear geeks with a 5D Mark II in their bag who are lamenting that they have severe ISO limitations now that they read the specs of the 1D X. No need to name names here on CR.

Upvote 0
aaronh said:
I just started saving up for a 5D Mark 2. I've been getting really unhappy with the low-light performance of my 60D and then I tried someone's 5d2. I am ruined.

Lenses I currently have with my 60D are the 18-135mm kit lens, 24mm f/2.8, 50mm f/1.8, and a 70-200 f/2.8L IS (Mark 1).

Here's the problem... I won't be able to afford the new camera for a few months and I'm really impatient. What should I do in the meantime? Any ideas on how to squeeze a little more out of my current set-up?

Sell the 60D, the kit lens. Use the money to buy a 5D Classic. Then look into upgrading your glass in the normal range focal lengths (a 50mm 1/4 or the samyang 35 would both be excellent choices)

Upvote 0
B

briansquibb

elflord said:
aaronh said:

Sell the 60D, the kit lens. Use the money to buy a 5D Classic. Then look into upgrading your glass in the normal range focal lengths (a 50mm 1/4 or the samyang 35 would both be excellent choices)

I think the time has past for putting money in the 5D classic. Realistically you will only get 1 stop improvement over the 60D. Save your money until you can get a second user 5DII - will be cheaper in the long term

Upvote 0
L

Leopard Lupus

The Canon 60D is what I sold to help fund my 5D mk ll purchase. No regrets, even though I do miss the screen of the 60D in those difficult situations. I had a very similar setup as you, so what I did was sell everything but my 50mm f/1.4. The 5D mk ll really feels better with L glass in my opinion, and once you play around with glass of that quality it is difficult to go back. Personally, I would keep the lens you use most often and sell the rest. Buy your 5D mk ll, practice with that body and your one lens for awhile, and then make an investment into L glass.
Happy shooting!

Upvote 0
There will always be a better camera available. What happens when you get you 5d, and you meet someone with a 1DX? How about a Lieca S2? The photographer shooting next to you may have it.

Deal with it.

Outshoot the guy with a better camera. Learn more than him, practice more than him, know your cameras controls better than him, move to better shooting positions than him. Show his girlfriend your better photos!

Upvote 0

dr croubie

Too many photos, too little time.
Jun 1, 2011
TexPhoto said:
There will always be a better camera available. What happens when you get you 5d, and you meet someone with a 1DX? How about a Lieca S2? The photographer shooting next to you may have it.
I pity the guy with a Phasemiya IQ180 feeling inadequate next to a guy with a 6x9" scanning back...

Upvote 0

pwp

Oct 25, 2010
aaronh said:
I've been getting really unhappy with the low-light performance of my 60D and then I tried someone's 5d2. I am ruined.

Get a grip! (not a battery grip...) The 5DII may offer marginally better low light performance than your 60D, but the difference isn't radical.

You have got a very good camera. Unless it's making money for you, it's an expensive purchase. It was a good choice. Love your 60D.

Understand its strengths & weaknesses and get on with taking great photos. Your 60D is still a better camera in most respects than anyone on the planet had just a few years ago.

Paul Wright

Upvote 0
pwp said:
aaronh said:
I've been getting really unhappy with the low-light performance of my 60D and then I tried someone's 5d2. I am ruined.

Get a grip! (not a battery grip...) The 5DII may offer marginally better low light performance than your 60D, but the difference isn't radical.

You have got a very good camera. Unless it's making money for you, it's an expensive purchase. It was a good choice. Love your 60D.

Understand its strengths & weaknesses and get on with taking great photos. Your 60D is still a better camera in most respects than anyone on the planet had just a few years ago.

Paul Wright

Exactly what he said!!! Moreover, when you get the 5dII you'll be missing the autofocus and the reach of your lenses. What are you trying to get pictures of, anyway? Likely, your problem really is poor technique, way unrealistic expectations, and perhaps a but your slow glass. Use what you have, be thankful for it, and maybe get a sigma 30 1.4 and a 85 1.8. Those will help you a lot.

I use a 7D, same low light performance, and I have no problems. Careful noise reduction and sharpening practices help for ISO 6400. 3200 is not too bad... 1600 and better is amazing for nearly any uses! Really, 1600 does way better than my ISO 200 film sitting in my freezer...

But what is your low light performance issue? Slow AF? Too much noise? Are you viewing images at 100% and raging? Dig out a film camera, shoot some 1600 TMAX, and see the difference! (Not that there;s anything wrong with TMAX!!! ;D )

Upvote 0
B

briansquibb

pwp said:

The 5DII is about 2 stops better on ISO.

The 60D has the better AF

The glass will probably be more expensive than the body

Upvote 0
B

briansquibb

AprilForever said:
I use a 7D, same low light performance, and I have no problems. Careful noise reduction and sharpening practices help for ISO 6400. 3200 is not too bad... 1600 and better is amazing for nearly any uses! Really, 1600 does way better than my ISO 200 film sitting in my freezer...

You must be the only person that thinks the low light performance of the 7D is close to that of the 5DII. It is good - but about 1 stop slower. My 5DII is about the same at 3200 as my 7D is at 1600. AF on the 5DII is way better than the 7D in low light.

Upvote 0
The answer is simple. Take control of the light using creative flash techniques and shoot at low ISOs (preferably 100 - 400). This will help with noise and might allow you to use a faster shutter speed. There are some really good wireless flash triggers available and off brand used flashes are also very cheap. And these skills will be transferable to the 5Diii when you get one of those. (I've heard that the 5Dii doesn't even have a flash - what a piece of junk!)

If flash isn't an option, consider a tripod (or some other way of bracing the camera). You can use a lower ISO, but, if shooting action photos, a slow shutter speed probably isn't what you are looking for.

You could embrace the noise and turn a perceived weakness into a strength. Have you tried converting to B & W and using a film grain simulator? Sometimes, the results are great.

But ultimately, I wouldn't get too worried about it. In a side by side comparison, a 5Dii might be better, but in the real world, if you've got all the components to a successful photo working for you, few people will care what camera it is taken with.

Upvote 0
H

handsomerob

First of, I would get rid of the kit-lens...

I personally invest more in glass than body, but, since the itch for FF won't go away and consume you =>

You could actually sell everything (with the gear you listed, you could end up at around 2400 euros) and get a 5DII with two decent primes like 50mm f/1.4 + 85mm f/1.8 (also costing around 2400 euros, all brand new) and start enjoying better low-light, DOF and IQ you're looking for, today. You could then start saving for L-lenses. You will at least be happier than you are today, while you save some cash for your L-lenses. This part is addictive of course but once you have your FF, any L-lens you add will amaze you.

5DII + 24-105L kit would also fit in that budget, if you say you can't live without a zoom. You then gotta live with 'only' f/4 though ;)

Again, I would always go for better glass than better body but from what I read, I don't think adding any new lens to your current gear will make you as happy as buying a 5DII, since you tried it and said that the difference blew you away.

Just an idea... ;) good luck with your decision.

Upvote 0
I

Isaac

aaronh said:

If you need to save up for a few more months then i'd say use that time to your advantage. Wait for the Canon 5D mark III lens kit which will hopefully come with a nice all-purpose "L" lens (which I see you're missing in your list). I'm almost sure that you won't be disappointed with the new 2012 model.

As for your impatience, which you mentioned in your topic you would like "help" with. I recommend working on that character trait practically (like now) and you'll be a lot happier with what you receive after waiting just "a bit" longer.

Upvote 0
A

aaronh

Thanks for all the replies!

I have a lot to think about... To those of you who encouraged me to work harder/more creatively with the gear I have--thank you; I think you are probably right on. Also I definitely could work on my lighting. I forgot to mention that I do have a Nissin flash. I'm sure I am overlooking a great resource right there that I definitely can grow in.

As far as selling all my stuff goes, I hadn't thought about it. I guess I assumed I'd just add on. The only thing right now is that I've been working/training as an assistant wedding photographer so I wouldn't be able to sell anything until I have something to replace it immediately. I also don't think I'd want to sell my 70-200. That is obviously my weapon of choice for wedding ceremonies. That basically cuts down on my liquid capital to the point where I wonder if it's worth trying to sell at this point.

One idea I had if I was, in fact, to sell my stuff is sell my 60d w/kit lens and the 24mm 2.8 hopefully for around $1300 (is that realistic?), save a little longer, and then get a used 5D2 and a 35mm f/2... Then I'd have that, the 50 1.8 and the 70-200 2.8 and a flash. Do you think that would be a good general set up (until as someone said I get addicted to the full-frame/"L" lens combo... :) )

Thanks a lot for the thoughts!

P.S. Is it kosher to self-promote on here? I've been working on a 365-day photo blog in an effort to get regular practice and think creatively. However I'm on day 50-something and I've hit a bit of a slump right now. If anyone would like to give feedback that would be great! Again, if it's not cool to link to my own pages on this forum let me know and I'll remove this :) http://aaronhuberty.wordpress.com/

Upvote 0
This.

Dont' forget that your 60D can fire off camera flashes. Getting just one 430EX won't cost you much and will add a ton for your creativity AND your ISO troubles. As long as you are in a situation where you can use flashes.

I can understand the frustration. I shoot with a 7D (identical ISO performance) and sometimes it can be a little frustrating. But as I can't afford a 5D at this time I just have to make it work. You can do a lot with high ISO in black and white. You can use careful amounts of noise reduction in Lightroom to get a nice balance.

Another tip. Expose correctly. The noise seems worse in the shadows. Just be sure you aren't underexposing when you shoot, if you are and boosting the exposure in Lightroom later it will just look worse.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.