Help me, 5D Mark iii order now or wait for a "possible deal"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 19, 2012
If I were a 5D3 man, I will wait.

The market within the Canon line up (current, and upcoming), and more importantly, the competitive offerings for those who aren't tied to one brand or the other is pretty intense. So expect high intial prices from Canon for pre-order and stand-in-line adoptors (aka suckers ;))...and expect these prices to quickly go south within months. This is not necessarily "bad"...its just how companies market and make money.

I fully expect the 6D price slide, once out, to be faster than 5DIII.

On that note, I already saw several fanboy posts here highly supportive of the upcoming 6D at a significant introductory price... I guess we know who the next batch of suckers are gonna be ;)

Upvote 0
rocketdesigner said:
I'm soooo ticked off right now. I paid $2899 fro Beach Camera for the 5D3 a few weeks ago, and if I had only waited I could have gotten it for $2799. According to my calculations (e=mcsquared pi=3.14 etc etc) I paid an extra .50 per actuation. Darn darn darn!

;D

Heh, well I paid $3449. It is what it is. ;)

Upvote 0
dpedro said:
I am seriously sitting here ready to pull the trigger and order my 5D Mark iii. I have L glass and currently shoot with a T4i. I do just fine with my camera and LR4, but know that the FF be a better choice, especially for my indoor event photography. If I was ready to order this last month or the month before, i wouldn't be worried about anything, but this close to Nov, I have to wonder if I am going to be angry with myself for missing the next 2750.00 type sale. Typically, do these sales begin early Nov or closer to black Friday/X-Mas? If B and H only drops this camera by 100 or so, I won't care, but saving almost 800 bucks had I waited 2-3 weeks would def make me regretful. I know it shows a 5D3 in my profile, but I had planned on having it by this week...LOL Everything else in my profile I own now.

I hope you got in on the Datavision authorized dealer ebay deal for $2,800 going on last night? that was posted about on these boards.

Upvote 0
Ray2021 said:
If I were a 5D3 man, I will wait.

The market within the Canon line up (current, and upcoming), and more importantly, the competitive offerings for those who aren't tied to one brand or the other is pretty intense. So expect high intial prices from Canon for pre-order and stand-in-line adoptors (aka suckers ;))...and expect these prices to quickly go south within months. This is not necessarily "bad"...its just how companies market and make money.

I fully expect the 6D price slide, once out, to be faster than 5DIII.

On that note, I already saw several fanboy posts here highly supportive of the upcoming 6D at a significant introductory price... I guess we know who the next batch of suckers are gonna be ;)

It depends on how 6D will perform entirely. If it has a better sensor performer than 5D3 (here's hoping it is) then I think those next batch of suckers will be generally right. However, if you have still a working camera, it will always be prudent to wait for quite sometime before the hyped pricing is subdued (e.g., 5D3 pricing). Also some of those so-called "suckers" actually doesn't mind being suckers because they are earning from their investment.

Upvote 0
Update: I got the 3750.00 deal for the kit and they tossed in a CF card and I paid for a filter for the 24-105. So far I am really impressed with my images. My T4i is great, but I see the difference now. All I need now is the 24-70 and I'm done. Now I am wondering if that IS 24-70 rumor is legit. I may hold off for a while. I do great with the kit lens, the 35L, the 100 L macro, the 85 1.8 and my EF-S lenses on my T4i. Probably going to get more lighting now. Thanks for all te advise. Already made 850.00 using my camera and the deal was decent enough.

Upvote 0
dpedro said:
All I need now is the 24-70 and I'm done.

Haha! I think I've said that just before every lens purchase I've made. My wife just rolls her eyes when I start a statement with those words. There's always something else...

Honestly, if you're not hurting for the 24-70 2.8, I think you should work your kit lens into the ground while you wait for a possible 2.8 IS version. Get what you need when you need it. Have fun with your new gear! (sigh of gear envy) ;D

Upvote 0
Nov 17, 2011
AudioGlenn said:
dpedro said:

Haha! I think I've said that just before every lens purchase I've made. My wife just rolls her eyes when I start a statement with those words. There's always something else...

Honestly, if you're not hurting for the 24-70 2.8, I think you should work your kit lens into the ground while you wait for a possible 2.8 IS version. Get what you need when you need it. Have fun with your new gear! (sigh of gear envy) ;D

I can see wedding pros gain benefits from IS on 70-200 f2.8, due to the weight. They tend to be on the faster lane, not IS to gain 4-stop at slower speed.

Upvote 0
wickidwombat said:
dpedro said:

famous last words! good luck with that ;)

24-70? You'll need a 50mm/85mm for portrait, 70-200 at least when your subject is far, and a UWA when you want to get all the scene. You might also need a macro and a fish-eye. You'll want other lenses other than 24-70 because the more you take pictures, the more you learn, the more you explore and the more you need other lenses in order to explore every possibility. :)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.