Help me, 5D Mark iii order now or wait for a "possible deal"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 17, 2011
dpedro said:
yeah, I don't care what happens, I will own this damn camera by or on Black Friday. I am trying to get a 24-70 and upgrade my 70-200 f4l to the 2.8 ii, so every penny helps. Rebate, package deal, what ever they do for the holiday, I am getting it.

Would you sell the f4l 70-200 to get the 2.8 ii or keep both for times you want to grap a lighter kit? I am leaning toward keeping it. I used my buddies 2.8 ii and that sucker felt like it wanted to tear the front of my old t4i clean off...LOL.

After the dust settles, I should have the 5D3/T4i the 35L/85 1.8/24-70 2.8L/100 L Macro/70-200 F4L and 2.8L

If I have f2.8 IS II on hand, I would sell the f4 in heart beat - use that money to buy 2nd FF body (5D II or III)

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
RC said:
I don't see any significant drop in price (below $3000) for a long time. Canon will probably do a rebate around the holidays or early 2013 which I wouldn't expect it to be more than $150.

The Adorama and now the Beach Camera ebay sales puzzle me. I still do not understand how and why they were able to do that. I've read what others have posted but I remain skeptical. I would not count on a 3rd ebay sale but who knows.

If I was aching to pull the trigger, I'd try and wait until Thanksgiving/Black Friday. If no sales or rebates then, just order it and enjoy.
There has been a below $3000 sale each month for 4 months now, no reason not to expect another one. I think Canon is reducing excess inventory each month to avoid getting caught like they did last Christmas.

Upvote 0
Z

Zlatko

dpedro said:
Would you sell the f4l 70-200 to get the 2.8 ii or keep both for times you want to grap a lighter kit? I am leaning toward keeping it. I used my buddies 2.8 ii and that sucker felt like it wanted to tear the front of my old t4i clean off...LOL.
I would keep both, the f/4 for times when I want a lighter kit. The weight difference is pretty big. The 5D3 is so good in low light that you may not even need the f/2.8 version of the 70-200.

Upvote 0
S

Standard

I would keep both, the f/4 for times when I want a lighter kit. The weight difference is pretty big. The 5D3 is so good in low light that you may not even need the f/2.8 version of the 70-200.

Exactly.

Upvote 0
tron said:
Look! Basically it's almost always Murphy's Law. Either you wait in which case the price will not drop significantly and you may lose some nice photos in the meantime, or you get it now and suddenly the price drops! Your choice!!! ;D ;D

Alternatively, he can buy now and get something to go "click click" right away or wait but save money. A win-win, ain't it? ;D

Upvote 0
Oct 18, 2011
dpedro said:
yeah, I don't care what happens, I will own this damn camera by or on Black Friday. I am trying to get a 24-70 and upgrade my 70-200 f4l to the 2.8 ii, so every penny helps. Rebate, package deal, what ever they do for the holiday, I am getting it.
Yeah, in that case I'd wait. Canon, last year, had a TON of rebate deals. I think the 70-200 f/2.8 II was going for <$2000, even close to $1800 at times. Likewise for some of the other lenses, everything was about 10% off.

If you're fine waiting, history says that November is a great time to buy, as that is when they do more aggressive instant rebates. Prices usually continue to drop through Xmas

Upvote 0
sagittariansrock said:
tron said:
Look! Basically it's almost always Murphy's Law. Either you wait in which case the price will not drop significantly and you may lose some nice photos in the meantime, or you get it now and suddenly the price drops! Your choice!!! ;D ;D

Alternatively, he can buy now and get something to go "click click" right away or wait but save money. A win-win, ain't it? ;D

I just found this http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/847546-REG/Canon_5260B009_EOS_5D_Mark_III.html and it makes 5D III @2700ish. I can easely sell the lens for 1k back home.

Upvote 0
sagittariansrock said:
tron said:

+1

Upvote 0
I didn't even notice the B and H kit. I don't need a bag, but the CF card and battery are cool. I spent a few bucks on two aftermarket batteries for my T4i and they work perfectly. I may get that kit, that's not a bad all purpose lens. I can sell that and my 17-55 2.8 to buy the 24-70 2.8 ii. I wonder if that lens will sell though. Seems like a lot of those are flooding the market and might not move very fast.

Upvote 0
Dang, I need two use my visa gift card and my regualr card. B and H only does a split payment over the phone and they are closed until Sunday. I will probaby order this sucker on Sunday. Not a bad deal sell the lens or keep the lens, it's a 900 dollar lens and it's only 200 bucks over the body price. I still feel like a better deal will happen for the nate November holiday, but this is a pretty nice deal too.

Upvote 0
Jul 14, 2012
Zlatko said:
dpedro said:

Right, though given how remarkably good the 70-200 f/4 IS is I don't think it makes much sense for someone who already owns one to add to it, or replace it with, a 70-200 2.8 II without making sure first-hand (renting, borrowing) it can do things that matter to him that the f/4 IS can't do as well.

Upvote 0
I really want the new 24-70 for my event photography and for that same reason (2.8) I wanted to upgrade the 70-200. I will test out the 24-105 before I sell it for the 24-70. I shoot families and kids and models, most of those I can do with the kit f4 lens and my 35L/85 1.8. When I do school plays, high school reunions, military events and eventually, weddings, I am thinking I will wish I had the 24-70 and 70-200 2.8's.

Right now, on my T4i, I use my 17-55 2.8 and 35L.

I could get this kit with 24-105 and when doing events, I guess I could use my T4i with the 17-55 with the primes on the 5d 3. That would save me a few expensive lenses.

Upvote 0
FYI - I just received a 5DIII from Beach Camera that I purchased for $2899 (thanks to a CanonRumors Forum tip) at Beach Camera's eBay store. I'm leaving town in a couple hours so no time to test or do anything except visually inspect and post this message.

The Good
- No funny business, calls or shipment games. Arrived via FedEx Ground Home Delivery.
- Purchased Sat evening with BuyItNow.
- Ship Notification with tracking info on Mon.
- Arrived here today (Friday) requiring signature.
- US Warranty Card in box with a matching serial number to the camera's bottom plate.

The Bad
- Pathetic Packing!! (Note attached picture.) They shipped it in a box the exact size of the camera box. No packing material or cushion whatsoever. I have no idea how much shock/drop abuse the box received during shipment. I can't believe a camera dealer would ship a $3000 camera with no packing to protect it. Ridiculous!
- It appears that the camera box was opened and contents removed and then repacked. Not sure if it matters since everything is there and the camera appears clean but I'll find out more next week when I register the camera with Canon and test it. Since the serial number matches the US Warranty, I assume it will be fine as long as the camera works correctly.

I've been a little worried about the purchase simply due to the price. So far, nothing except the non-packing is a negative but I'm still waiting for the other (hidden) stinky shoe to drop.

What has everyone else's experience been with their bargain 5D3 purchases?

Attachments

• 101912_5D3-ShipBox_IMG_2830-0002-ZF8MP.jpg
    101912_5D3-ShipBox_IMG_2830-0002-ZF8MP.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 751
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.