Help me, 5D Mark iii order now or wait for a "possible deal"

Status
Not open for further replies.

RC

Jun 11, 2011
RustyTheGeek said:
- Pathetic Packing!! (Note attached picture.) They shipped it in a box the exact size of the camera box. No packing material or cushion whatsoever.
If I recall, Amazon shipped my 7D just the same. I agree, a fragile expensive item should be well packed.

RustyTheGeek said:
- It appears that the camera box was opened and contents removed and then repacked.
I admit I'm much picker than most, it is these kinds of comments that causes me to remain skeptical towards these "unbelievable" ebay deals and partly why I can't bring myself to hit the purchase button.

Upvote 0
Nov 17, 2011
RustyTheGeek said:
FYI - I just received a 5DIII from Beach Camera that I purchased for $2899 (thanks to a CanonRumors Forum tip) at Beach Camera's eBay store. I'm leaving town in a couple hours so no time to test or do anything except visually inspect and post this message.

The Good
- No funny business, calls or shipment games. Arrived via FedEx Ground Home Delivery.
- Purchased Sat evening with BuyItNow.
- Ship Notification with tracking info on Mon.
- Arrived here today (Friday) requiring signature.
- US Warranty Card in box with a matching serial number to the camera's bottom plate.

The Bad
- Pathetic Packing!! (Note attached picture.) They shipped it in a box the exact size of the camera box. No packing material or cushion whatsoever. I have no idea how much shock/drop abuse the box received during shipment. I can't believe a camera dealer would ship a $3000 camera with no packing to protect it. Ridiculous!
- It appears that the camera box was opened and contents removed and then repacked. Not sure if it matters since everything is there and the camera appears clean but I'll find out more next week when I register the camera with Canon and test it. Since the serial number matches the US Warranty, I assume it will be fine as long as the camera works correctly.

I've been a little worried about the purchase simply due to the price. So far, nothing except the non-packing is a negative but I'm still waiting for the other (hidden) stinky shoe to drop.

What has everyone else's experience been with their bargain 5D3 purchases?

Did Beach Camera includes a sale receipt with matching serial?

Canon will ask for the original sale receipt if camera needs a service/repair within that 1yr warranty.

Crutchfield packed my 5D III + 24-70II VERY WELL...it filled with popcorn top, bottom, side to side. I'm very happy with their service.

Upvote 0
RustyTheGeek said:
FYI - I just received a 5DIII from Beach Camera that I purchased for $2899 (thanks to a CanonRumors Forum tip) at Beach Camera's eBay store. I'm leaving town in a couple hours so no time to test or do anything except visually inspect and post this message.

The Good
- No funny business, calls or shipment games. Arrived via FedEx Ground Home Delivery.
- Purchased Sat evening with BuyItNow.
- Ship Notification with tracking info on Mon.
- Arrived here today (Friday) requiring signature.
- US Warranty Card in box with a matching serial number to the camera's bottom plate.

The Bad
- Pathetic Packing!! (Note attached picture.) They shipped it in a box the exact size of the camera box. No packing material or cushion whatsoever. I have no idea how much shock/drop abuse the box received during shipment. I can't believe a camera dealer would ship a $3000 camera with no packing to protect it. Ridiculous!
- It appears that the camera box was opened and contents removed and then repacked. Not sure if it matters since everything is there and the camera appears clean but I'll find out more next week when I register the camera with Canon and test it. Since the serial number matches the US Warranty, I assume it will be fine as long as the camera works correctly.

I've been a little worried about the purchase simply due to the price. So far, nothing except the non-packing is a negative but I'm still waiting for the other (hidden) stinky shoe to drop.

What has everyone else's experience been with their bargain 5D3 purchases?

I will be getting mine this Monday, will definitely post how I fared. Do let us know if the camera functions as its supposed to. Also, I hope this batch do not have the light leak issue.

Upvote 0

pwp

Oct 25, 2010
Sure, wait a few weeks if you must. I guess you can be pretty sure the 5D3 price will creep down all the way to the date the 5D4 ships. Somewhere over the rainbow...

In business, you buy what your business needs. For the sake of a couple of hundred dollars, why wait? I paid $3600 for my 5D3 and have no regrets or buyers-remorse. It's already earned me it's purchase price dozens of times over. Every month that goes by without your 5D3 is another month without this great camera.

-PW

Upvote 0
A

artsmalley

dpedro said:
I am seriously sitting here ready to pull the trigger and order my 5D Mark iii. I have L glass and currently shoot with a T4i. I do just fine with my camera and LR4, but know that the FF be a better choice, especially for my indoor event photography. If I was ready to order this last month or the month before, i wouldn't be worried about anything, but this close to Nov, I have to wonder if I am going to be angry with myself for missing the next 2750.00 type sale. Typically, do these sales begin early Nov or closer to black Friday/X-Mas? If B and H only drops this camera by 100 or so, I won't care, but saving almost 800 bucks had I waited 2-3 weeks would def make me regretful. I know it shows a 5D3 in my profile, but I had planned on having it by this week...LOL Everything else in my profile I own now.

If it helps I was in roughly the same boat (not as much L glass) with a T2i...waited and waited. Finally bought the 5D Mark III + 24-105 kit lens combo from B&H for $3749 or whatever the special was. Have not regretted it one bit even if the price drops. Kind of wish I had not waited as long as I did. Love the images I am getting. AF and low light shoot is so much better. Good luck with the decision.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
I was waiting for my 1st DSLR. I did not want to get 5D as it was mentioned to be a dust magnet. So I photographed the 2006 total eclipse with my EOS 1n. I bought my 1st DSLR, a 40D, by the end of 2007. I wish I hadn't waited that long! When my 40D was stolen (June 2009) I bought 5DMkII with 24-105 in a week! No regrets. Last week I bought 5DMkIII to keep company to my ... lonely 5DMkII :D . Guess: No regrets!

Upvote 0
Received my copy of the 5DIII from Beach Camera's sale that took place a couple of weeks ago. Like RustytheGeek mentioned. Everything is perfectly fine. I did some tests, it works as it should. The serial number suggests they are fresh batch and do not have the light leak issue. Comes with Sales receipt, US warranty card. The shipment arrived on time. Everything was in right order except the flimsy packaging. All in all I am happy with the service! <3

Upvote 0
If you want one and can afford it, go for it. Life is too short to wait. When I bought my 65" plasma I got the best price I could at the time. Sure 4 years later it was $2500 cheaper but I also used and enjoyed it for that time. It's the same philosophy some people use when they want to retire. They scrimp and save every penny until retirement, but it's too late. Look how much you've missed in the meantime. You also have to live until you get to that point. ;)

Upvote 0
Razor2012 said:
If you want one and can afford it, go for it. Life is too short to wait. When I bought my 65" plasma I got the best price I could at the time. Sure 4 years later it was $2500 cheaper but I also used and enjoyed it for that time. It's the same philosophy some people use when they want to retire. They scrimp and save every penny until retirement, but it's too late. Look how much you've missed in the meantime. You also have to live until you get to that point. ;)

+1

Upvote 0

zim

CR Pro
Oct 18, 2011
ablearcher said:
Prices wend down today to $3200 at all major retailers. This means we will see a lot more $2900 and less deals at ebay stores real soon. Plus the holidays are coming real soon. If you can wait a bit i would. I'm not suggesting waiting another year. Just saying prices are about to get a lot more attractive. Hopefully ::)

+1 exactly what I'm doing, but it's always been my game plan also allows me to check out the 6D

Upvote 0
Wait, canon is pulling the wool over everyone's eyes. When they start producing the large megapixel ff dslr, pros will start selling 5d mark iiis cheap. Then the price will go down encouraging those who buy the 6d to move up to the 5d ii, and rebel users to get the 6d, and there will be a major price drop on the rebels, X0d's, 6d's, 7d's, and 5d mark iii. Worst case scenario, you wait and the price doesn't drop and you find a used one.

Upvote 0
Marsu42 said:
Razor2012 said:
Look how much you've missed in the meantime.

But that's the question: How much would you have *really* missed with a 5d2? Sure, if you do sports then it's a no-brainer, but for many other applications is hard to say - 5d2 + another $1300 L lens or a 5d3?

Lol you pulled one line out of my quote which was meant to be about my views on retirement. Your question about the 5DII vs the 5DIII is a totally different ball of wax.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
SJTstudios said:
Wait, canon is pulling the wool over everyone's eyes. When they start producing the large megapixel ff dslr, pros will start selling 5d mark iiis cheap. Then the price will go down encouraging those who buy the 6d to move up to the 5d ii, and rebel users to get the 6d, and there will be a major price drop on the rebels, X0d's, 6d's, 7d's, and 5d mark iii. Worst case scenario, you wait and the price doesn't drop and you find a used one.
Sure, and when they start producing the Gigapixel SLR the 5DMkIII will be sold for 10$ ;D ;D ;D
Seriously now, this is just an exaggeration to point out that we can always wait for something better and miss while we wait...

Upvote 0
tron said:
SJTstudios said:
Sure, and when they start producing the Gigapixel SLR the 5DMkIII will be sold for 10$ ;D ;D ;D
Seriously now, this is just an exaggeration to point out that we can always wait for something better and miss while we wait...

What I'm trying to say, is the landscap pros and other people will want the camera and forget about the 5d mark iii, It will be pushed into another niche, soros will start selling them used, and the price will go down, I bet around $2,900. If getting a 5d iii is necessary now, get it, but if it isn't, why not just wait. If I had the money, I'd buy a 5d iii right now, but I'd rather get some lenses, because my camera works, and that's all that maters to me.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.