Help Pls! My 1DX2 AF-ON, *, buttons will no longer program

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
I was experimenting with various AF settings late at night and in the morning needed to take a quick shot out my window at a bird. I couldn't remember how I'd set things and inadvertently pressed some button combinations and the camera completely locked up. Off-On did nothing so I pulled the battery and I was back in business or so I thought.

Today, trying to chose some optimal button programming I discovered that I can't alter how they are programmed and that essentially all I have is the shutter focus. The BB's do just as the shutter and I can't change anything by going through the procedure. It appears to be working but the saving activity does not update the settings.

Doesn't matter if I'm using C1-C3 or whatever. It's just giving me what is configured for the shutter AF alone. At least I can still take a photo.

Ugh, I hate to now try resetting everything on the camera. Anyone have any ideas or have a similar experience.

Jack

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Thanks Neuro! I just had done that and was waiting for some comments before resetting the camera. Now if resetting the camera doesn't return my programmability I assume my email to Canon comes into play and dread - shipping it back to them. Sold my 6D so no backup now. :(

Is this fate forcing me into an earlier 6D2 purchase? ;)

Jack

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
No Scott, I didn't. After resetting the camera I see that many of my program choices seem to still be there, pretty sure not default and I can't program AF-ON and * at all. I only get the choices that come with the shutter. IOW AF-ON will work like the shutter with only the same settings that are active when using the shutter.

Looking like I'm screwed.

Jack

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Thanks Brian, but I've been through the programming numerous times and have that all down pat. The problem is that when I go through the process, the button does not end up programmed. I can add now that it seems to only relate to AF operations. For example, the DOF button is programmed for enlarge X1 and that works. Just the the AF arrangement that pertains to the camera per ce (shutter) is operative. This, in spite of the fact that the buttons appear to be programmed for an alternate mode. Press AF-ON or * and I still have the same as if the shutter was being used.

I've been shooting for weeks with AF-ON and * configured different ways and they always programmed as I specified, like large zone on AF-ON, single spot on * and so forth. So I guess I wait for Canon's response. :(

Jack

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
OK, here I am with good news. Only, I honestly don't know what has transpired. That is, did the clearing/reseting and all that, solve the problem? It seems to have because I now have my buttons producing the desired results as they did before. So, I can press AF-ON and its large zone AF will override the shutter spot focus.

However, I continued to struggle with the button assignment of Register/recall shooting function. Something weird is going on and I think I've got it straightened out now but wouldn't mind a confirmation.

Under custom controls I selected * and assigned the function "Register/recall shooting function" and proceeded to make sure all functions were checked and highlighted each one and adjusted its desired value but each time I chose Register current settings it did not accept those values. Apparently, it takes the values that the camera is presently set to. Very weird.

So I think tomorrow I'll be able to complete the setup but I'd appreciate comments from anyone that might shed light on this confusion. My goal was to have a high shutter speed BIF against blue sky type camera setting that I could revert to fast by just holding *.

Jack

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Jack Douglas said:
OK, here I am with good news. Only, I honestly don't know what has transpired. That is, did the clearing/reseting and all that, solve the problem? It seems to have because I now have my buttons producing the desired results as they did before. So, I can press AF-ON and its large zone AF will override the shutter spot focus.

However, I continued to struggle with the button assignment of Register/recall shooting function. Something weird is going on and I think I've got it straightened out now but wouldn't mind a confirmation.

Under custom controls I selected * and assigned the function "Register/recall shooting function" and proceeded to make sure all functions were checked and highlighted each one and adjusted its desired value but each time I chose Register current settings it did not accept those values. Apparently, it takes the values that the camera is presently set to. Very weird.

So I think tomorrow I'll be able to complete the setup but I'd appreciate comments from anyone that might shed light on this confusion. My goal was to have a high shutter speed BIF against blue sky type camera setting that I could revert to fast by just holding *.

Jack

Hi Jack,

No the Register Current Settings over rides the √ selections. If you want the √ selections just go 'menu' then 'set' don't move to the bottom box.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Thanks Scott. It makes sense. However, I'm willing to bet I'm not the only one likely to get led down the garden path. Trouble is, in my migraine world, I don't have the luxury of a clearly thinking brain and the 1DX2 requires that. I'll catch on eventually, I hope. :)

Set it all up and it's fine now. It's a good format since you can instantly register what the camera is set to; if only I had realized.

Jack

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Not only a clear thinking brain Jack, you then need the time and subjects to test each configuration for enough time to see if it works better.

I have been slowly changing things on mine, micro AF, metering offset, custom functions and menus. It just goes on and on, but I know once I have it dialed in it will be the best camera I ever owned.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
privatebydesign said:
Not only a clear thinking brain Jack, you then need the time and subjects to test each configuration for enough time to see if it works better.

I have been slowly changing things on mine, micro AF, metering offset, custom functions and menus. It just goes on and on, but I know once I have it dialed in it will be the best camera I ever owned.

Funny, a well know bird photographer today declared that he liked the 1DX better. I never owned one but I'm pretty confident these improvements make the 1DX2 stronger in the AF quickness department. Having a thumb and first finger both affecting focus is virtually instantaneous and very intuitive after using it for a short time. There is no need to reach/shuffle back and forth between buttons.

I will be interested to know what you've chosen when it's done. Maybe you can post your suggestions and reasons later. You're always very helpful!

Jack

Upvote 0

hbr

Oct 22, 2016
Jack Douglas said:

Jack

I'm glad you got everything working again and don't have to send the camera off.

Brian

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Thanks Brian. And we all need to keep in mind that when somewhat distressing things happen usually there is some spin off benefit. For me it was thoroughly learning how Register/recall shooting function functions.

As Scott mentioned, getting set up is only half the battle because we need to know if our choices result in optimal operation under circumstance that are typically unpredictable and often not replicable.

Jack

Upvote 0