Here are different ways to cool the Canon EOS R5, watercooling and more

Apr 25, 2011
Canon should upgrade the R5 R6 in the next months... with better cooling! Everything else is not acceptable for me...
Canon should fulfill the existing preorders of the R5 in the next months. As long as I haven't yet got mine, I don't care if it's acceptable for you... or rather better if it's not.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
What about wrapping plastic bag of crushed dry ice around the camera? For me, however, I simply do not care about the overheating issue. I shoot both stills and video. I have already used my R5 for two all-day video shoots, but shoot at 4K 30p so had no issues whatsoever (other than draining batteries dry). If I do want to shoot at a higher res, it is usually only for some slo-mo scene and only for 30 seconds or so. My audience is YouTube and precious few people complain about 4K 30p on YouTube.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I've used the R5 for 3 months, both photographing and filming weddings in PA, SC, & AZ. I can't film a wedding in HQ mode (and don't believe others who say they can). This is on the newest firmware. However, the normal & crop 4k modes work great for my needs. I almost always have a handful of minutes available to shoot in 4k 120fps, and a decent amount in 60fps when I switch to those modes. I do see these numbers trickle down when shooting and I always make sure to turn off the camera as often as possible...boot time is 2 seconds so it's a non issue. This is the only modification I made to my shooting style and experiencing overheating no longer concerns me - I've always been able to get the shots I wanted in 60 or 120fps 4k.

That said, I would likely mod and place that copper heat sink on my R5. Seems a no-brainer for much better heat management.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
This was really well done. I guess they only thing about this or why Canon didn't want to do this in the first place (if the internal layout really allows it) is the longetivity, that could be one reason they did this as they don't want a lot of warranty requests.

If this camera is being used for a lot of 8K / 4K 120p recording, will it degrade the sensor in the long run? That will only turn out in a few years time when used cameras start to hit the market.

Upvote 0

twoheadedboy

EOS R5
CR Pro
Jan 3, 2018
Sturtevant, WI
This was really well done. I guess they only thing about this or why Canon didn't want to do this in the first place (if the internal layout really allows it) is the longetivity, that could be one reason they did this as they don't want a lot of warranty requests.

If this camera is being used for a lot of 8K / 4K 120p recording, will it degrade the sensor in the long run? That will only turn out in a few years time when used cameras start to hit the market.

I can't imagine it's worse for longevity than running the sensor at 80+ Celsius all the time.

Upvote 0
we don't know what is the temperature at the back of the camera. It could be low temperature burn and may still be a problem with the flippy screen stowed (face in or out). Canon couldn't release a camera that had any low temperature burn surfaces.
That said, videographers would find this very useful and are happy to have caveats to get the output they want/need. Even with no warranty, it is the only camera that can do what it does in that form factor for any cost.
I won't mod my R5 but the solution is almost too simple from an engineering perspective.

Ultimately, it might not be an issue if the low bit rates allow external recording removing one source of heat with no cards installed. There would still be processor cycle needed for the compression though.
You missed it, the video show that with only internal cooper plate, back of the camera is at 50 C.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
Very interesting video and clever solution to dissipate the heat generated by the camera. The solution presented here is clever but surely no rocket science; makes you think why Canon hasn't taken the effort to simply add some extra copper inside the R5 and at least make a decent attempt to solve the overheating problem instead of a simple software timer. As the presenter mentions: it shouldn't have been a big problem for Canon to design a decent cooling system like the one shown in the end and even make a bigger profit.
This solution would make the back of the camera dangerously hot.
There is no way that Canon would go with this

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
I've used the R5 for 3 months, both photographing and filming weddings in PA, SC, & AZ. I can't film a wedding in HQ mode (and don't believe others who say they can).
There are literally videos posted on Youtube of weddings shot in HQ.
I do not believe HQ is necessary but the best way is through an Atomos Ninja V

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
1: Canon never said it's a video-centric camera
2: It was the first 8k mirrorless
3: The firmware improved the recording time
4: No matter which new camera Canon turns out, trolls will always desperately keep searching for any perfectible feature, exagerate the drawback into a world-shattering drama, kiss their wonderful Sony good-night, and grin a large smile at whoever stupidly fell into their trap !

Upvote 0
According to theory, low temperature burn starts at 44°C for exposure beyond 6 hours. At 50°C the time needed to cause 1st degree burns is in the order of 10 minutes.
If you put your hand at that place, you get low temperature burn. But it's unlikely that you have to place your hand right at that place, you hardly accidentally touch it, and even if you do, you need to do that for 10 min.
Other parts' temperature are way below that.
Further more, in long session of video recording where the low temperature burn might pose a risk, I often see people put it on a rig or a gimbal .etc and it's pretty safe that way.
Of course, it's a personal's choice but soon there will be companies offering this internal mod and the baseplate fan. It would be very useful for 4K HQ.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
What I'm saying is that this "cooling solution" tells you nothing. Nothing about this is real world. I can throw specs and shooting situations at you all day but it wouldn't be as sensational as a video post about a liquid cooling system hack for a $4k camera lol.

I shoot professionally for a large media company, short and long form productions the R5. Most of my shooting is Run & Gun but could literally be 16 hours of shooting. I also use cinema cameras for extended shoots but my everyday cameras is the R5 and the 1DXmk3 and I've never had a problem. Maybe you will. I'm not here to solve overheating problems nor am I here to complain. I buy and use what works for me.
The test in the video is bogus.
Many people have demonstrated being able to record 8K indefinitely just by using a fan but without any heatsink.
He needs to test the fan mod on another R5 with no heatsink to prove the heatsink is necessary.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
I am not even a video guy but that second half of the video is actually pretty damn brilliant!

Of all the heat related videos about the R5 and heat, this seems by far the best, and even makes Gerald Undone's seem boring. It was fun to watch some actual disassembly and fabrication.

Upvote 0

2Cents

EOS R5, 1DX mkiii, C70, R5 C
Nov 2, 2020
Los Angeles, CA
www.606.media
The test in the video is bogus.
Many people have demonstrated being able to record 8K indefinitely just by using a fan but without any heatsink.
He needs to test the fan mod on another R5 with no heatsink to prove the heatsink is necessary.
Personally I have no problem with tests, breakdowns, and solutions to any problem but people who follow these creators tend to ignore that what's made for youtube is made for youtube and what's real world use is completely different. Hell, I might start a youtube channel one day. "Please like and subscribe"

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Personally I have no problem with tests, breakdowns, and solutions to any problem but people who follow these creators tend to ignore that what's made for youtube is made for youtube and what's real world use is completely different. Hell, I might start a youtube channel one day. "Please like and subscribe"

And leave a comment below!

Upvote 0