Here are more images of the Canon EOS R3

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
The thing about articulating screens breaking is vastly over played. Having said that we shouldn’t forget that it is only more vulnerable to breakage if it is articulated, so just tape it closed if you are that worried about durability.
For those that don't like the fully articulating screen, just leave it closed with the screen in view. It clicks in place tight enough so that it won't open up by itself and will behave as if it is a non-movable screen. Now I will agree that the space used for hinging and edge openings would not be needed if it was a fixed screen, but it's not that much and you can live with it. Also for bouncy travel (airplane or backpack) you have the option to turn the screen around so it is better protected than always being exposed.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
No one is trying to shut you down. You can babble on this forum until hell freezes over, for all the good it will do. We care about your opinion just as much as Canon does…i.e., not at all.
That price was, given current market conditions, a great deal......
Gordon is a great guy and everyone should look to his site for deals and support.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Articulating LCD. Not for a professional sports camera.... Break, Break and Break again.... What are they thinking? Eye AF, why so you can't setup your next shot in your lens? No one who shoots pro sports had much of a voice here. 30fps!!! for what? The R3 is more gimmick and marketing heavy than most will admit.... So we wait for the R1 and hope it will be "serious"
Just put a description with specs of your "perfect camera" in your signature so we and Canon will always know what kind of "serious" camera you're looking for. Otherwise it seems like you just want to complain just to complain.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

canonmike

EOS R6
CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
As a wildlife shooter, I really appreciate being able to use all 45 MP of the R5. It enables me to shoot with prime lenses that are a bit shorter and then crop in post, when needed (typically for birds). I shoot a lot with the 400 mm DO with and without the TC. I could never bring a much longer and heavier big white with me so this setup is great for hiking into nature and shooting handheld.
I love shooting with the R5, and I would be excited to purchase an even more capable R3 if the autofocus and tracking are better. Personally, I would really hesitate to buy a body with fewer than 30 MP because of the loss in cropping ability. To me, the value of the MP is greater than the value of jumping frim 20 FPS to 30 FPS.
If Canon decides to make this a 20 MP body, it would not be very appealing to me for wildlife. It would still be a great sprts body, just not the right tool for me as a wildlife shooter who shoots handheld.
Can't wait to learn more about this exciting body and hopefully native RF telephoto lenses in the near future.
Agree with much of what you say here and hoping for R3 to have at least 30mpxl, as well. This morn, I watched Tony Northrup's latest YT commentary and he pretty much feels it will come out with only 20 mp. and be priced at around $6k. I do hope he is wrong on both counts. Why would we need this body to have only 20 mp, when the R6 already covers that range. If he is right, that may dampen my enthusiasm for same, causing me to rethink whether I really need it or not.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Agree with much of what you say here and hoping for R3 to have at least 30mpxl, as well. This morn, I watched Tony Northrup's latest YT commentary and he pretty much feels it will come out with only 20 mp. and be priced at around $6k. I do hope he is wrong on both counts. Why would we need this body to have only 20 mp, when the R6 already covers that range. If he is right, that may dampen my enthusiasm for same, causing me to rethink whether I really need it or not.
I’d happily buy an R3 with 20mp but I wouldn’t be interested in an R6. Having said that I don’t think the R3 will have 20mp, or close to it, I believe the R1 will.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
I’d happily buy an R3 with 20mp but I wouldn’t be interested in an R6. Having said that I don’t think the R3 will have 20mp, or close to it, I believe the R1 will.
I'd happily not buy an R3 with 20 mp and given that processor and memory speed are not bottlenecks anymore Canon would be nuts to be down anywhere near that level. Those who can't handle more than 20 mp should just stick with the old tech and a fixed screen. I think Canon has seen the light and demonstrated that with the R5 so I'm with you - it will not be 20mp... but how much more? :unsure:

Jack

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
Interesting. If its 20 MP I won't be interested in it. If it is somewhere between 30 and 50MP then I'm sold.
I think 20MP is far too few MP when Canon is on the verge of selling 100 MP cameras. It limits the flexiblity of use for the camera. It makes it hard to justify the price tag. II'd personally be surprised if its less than 50MP but I've no insight into what Canon will do. It depends on what personal use is but for birding MP matters.

Upvote 0

canonmike

EOS R6
CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
At $3K I'd be happy with 20MP but at $6K, not so sure. I do more nature and bird photography now than sports, so 20mp doesn't really get me too excited. So, there are at least two of us that doesn't think the R3 will have only 20mp, as we anxiously wait for it's spec sheet.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
I'd happily not buy an R3 with 20 mp and given that processor and memory speed are not bottlenecks anymore Canon would be nuts to be down anywhere near that level. Those who can't handle more than 20 mp should just stick with the old tech and a fixed screen. I think Canon has seen the light and demonstrated that with the R5 so I'm with you - it will not be 20mp... but how much more? :unsure:

Jack
Dont get me wrong, I’d happily buy an R3 if it was 45mp. MP really aren’t the defining spec for me for an R3. But I am not in that small niche, that is disproportionately represented here, of being focal length limited so I don’t find MP to be a limiting factor.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
At $3K I'd be happy with 20MP but at $6K, not so sure. I do more nature and bird photography now than sports, so 20mp doesn't really get me too excited. So, there are at least two of us that doesn't think the R3 will have only 20mp, as we anxiously wait for it's spec sheet.
Again, I don’t think the R3 will have 20mp, I was just replying to a commenter that said they would find that a no go spec, I wouldn’t.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
I think it has to do with the power consumption and screen burn-in drawback of an OLED screen powered to max brightness so that you can see it in bright sunlight. OLED is 'emissive' technology - which means that the light coming out of the OLED diodes has to fight against sunlight.
You are right.
I did not really think about that.
OLED screens are popular for lower power consumption but that comes at lower NITS of brightness.
A lot of camera screens are already not bright enough and OLED only makes that worse.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
That price was, given current market conditions, a great deal......
I bought a grey market R5 at that price but since those are not covered by the Canon warranty I had to buy one which made it cost basically the same.
I do not mind because it was nearly impossible to get an R5 at the time.
The only bad part is that Canon will not let me register it.

Upvote 0

john1970

EOS R3
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
A while ago, photowebexpo.ru posted an interview with Canon regarding the R3 and one questioned asked was "What cameras does the EOS R3 compete with on the market?" I have copied the English translation below. Based on this information I believe the EOS R3 will be >=45 MP and have 8K video. If it does not have 8K video how does it compete with Nikon Z9 which has 8K video? Canon states that the Nikon Z9 is the closest competing model.

What cameras will the Canon EOS R3 compete with on the market?​

Of course, the closest competing model will be the Nikon Z9 , which we do not know much about yet, as the camera has just been announced and has not yet been officially unveiled. What this model will be in reality, only time and reviews will show. Canon's culture is built on respect for other manufacturers, and we always maintain a competitive marketplace that drives the advancement and emergence of new technologies for photographers. But when the Nikon D6 came out, in my opinion, it turned out to be very close to the Nikon D5. So I expect the Nikon Z9 to be a really strong and innovative camera for Nikon.
And of course, Sony a1because there are cool technologies there: fast shooting, no blackout. However, she just came out, so there is not much real filming and combat experience on her. And for cameras of this level, it will be important to evaluate the operating experience after some time. In other words, our camera will be in the segment of those cameras that are currently announced by competitors as top-end.

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
I doubt it will less than 45 mp. You likely don't need a stacked sensor to pump out 20 mp images at 30 fps given that the R5 can pump out 45 mp at 20 fps.

The era of 20mp professional cameras may be coming to an end.
I think so too (and I hope so).
The R5 allready got 20fps with 45mp. Thats not so far behind from 30 fps - given that the R3 got more space for better heat management and a higher price for a faster processor. Sony did it as well. I think its completely possible. Also canon made sure to say they are early on the 8k front - so I doubt they wouldnt include 8k in this body.

Also, it would be pretty laughable, if this was only 20-30mp. It will likely be availble no earlier than 2022 - likeley a year after Sonys A1 - and that camera allready got 45mp at 30fps today...

Also, I realy hope Canon speeds things up a little. The quite disapointing video drawbacks (overheats gets in the way quite some time) in the R5 are not that great. The A1 apperas more and more like way advanced camera (which even offers 8k external recording without any overheat!!!). And Sonys lense selection for E mount is quite impressive by now. RF is still behind. Though thats not as bad, since I can use all my EF lenses.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
R6 R5 R3...looks like Canon doest not want to produce sub $2000 mirrorless any more...
There are 3 FF models to choose from. You are on an R3 thread, remember the money gets higher as the model number gets smaller. The sub $2k model CR Forum topics might start with a 7 or an 8. Look for those posts.

Upvote 0