Here are more images of the Canon EOS R5

It's lovely!! But!!!
Makes me crazy the lack of buttons for exchange ISO, Drive, White balance, flash...makes it so difficult, I love the R but I can't go fast between the configuration as I need only with the button M-fn.
I’m right there with you on that one. More direct access buttons please!! Already warned my wife that this camera is coming this year. :)

Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
I layed out my thinking pretty detailed, dont you think?
This camera (IF the rumoured specs are true) could replace a 1DX III (unless you truely need the LAN Port. The rest of the specs is the same or even BETTER than on the 1D. It shoots 45mpixel with 20fps - like wtf?! If the rumours are true.) AND it could replace any photo camera (for example for wildlife, event, wedding, landscape, street) you could need or use at the moment. AND (if there is no mayor problem with it) it could replace pretty much any video camera up to around 7000USD at the market (unless you need a very specific tool).
The fact that it beats the 1DX III AND offers a very high resolution alone is reason enough to justify such a pricetag. If the video mode rocks, its an INCREDIBLE versatile camera in a handy formfactor with future proof video features and canon colors that could even be used on small gimbals and drones. This is an incredible value for the money.

This isn't a 1D class body. Not even close. And the price won't be close.

It likely won't have true zero blackout like the Sony A9/A9II so it isn't going to tempt professionals in the way that camera has.

It's a high-end semi-professional camera, in the same class as the Sony A7R series. You can bet the next A7R camera will support 8K and faster frame rates, so Canon will have to price it comparably. Sure, there's some premium in the R5 being newer and having 8K support etc, but that lead won't last forever. The A7RIV is $3500 so I cannot see Canon pricing this much more than $4000.

But, if you want to pay $7000 for one feel free :)

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
It would be perfect if Canon produce a grip that's about half the size of normal grip, and use fixed li-ion battery pack. EOS R's grip is pretty much the same size as the camera which is not good!

canon-eos-r--mount-adapter-and-battery-grip-52983127.jpg
Agree

Upvote 0
It is pretty much the same conceptual layout design as the 5D:

1. joystick - exist; improved location
2. AF-on - improved location
3. dial wheel - exist
4. programmable button between grip and lens mount - exist
5. two cards; CF and SD types
6. even the shutter button looks exactly like the 5D (R and RP does not)

I prefer the screen is fixed because I don't like moving parts, risk to failure.
In which case, to be consistent, presumably, you should also dislike the joystick, buttons and wheels!

Upvote 0
Since I am a freelancing, fulltime photographer and videographer I would consider myself a "pro". I have a 1DX II and use it alongside the 5D IV in my daily work (though I prefer the 5D usualy and for video work the S1H).
I think the missing mode dial on the 1D is truely annoying. To change the mode I have to reach for a hard to reach button on the shoulder and cycle the wheel and observe a REALY tiny icon to make sure I land in the right mode. On the 5D I can change the mode withouth even looking at the camera, thanks to tactile feedback. Its fast, reliable and very easy to check (without even looking through the viewfinder).
The reasons to leave this out and to implement an ON/OFF Switch instead of it, is a bad design choice and I cant find any reason that makes this better...
Its not like its a big problem or something, but in my opinion they could have used that space more efficient.
Agree. I hate the mode button on the 1DX. I’ve never found an acceptable workaround. 5D design is superior in my opinion. I guess it creates a possible issue for weather sealing but I’ve never had any water issues with my 5Ds.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
I’m right there with you on that one. More direct access buttons please!! Already warned my wife that this camera is coming this year. :)
Like the EOS R, they really want to you to use the scroll buttons via the EVF menus for these functions. I must say I got used to doing so on the EOS R surprisingly quickly.

Upvote 0
So glad I sold all my Canon cameras and waited patiently for them to finally wake up from their self-induced coma. I had almost lost hope with the EOS R, but M6II and 1DXIII restored my faith somewhat. Looking forward to getting the R5 as I still have all my glass. Won't be updating much to RF, maybe just the 15-35 f/2.8, prices are far higher than equivalent EF. Maybe if they release a 300 f/2.8 and/or 500 f/4 in RF is will swap my older versions if they are lighter.

Upvote 0

Nelu

1-DX Mark III, EOS R5, EOS R
CR Pro
So glad I sold all my Canon cameras and waited patiently for them to finally wake up from their self-induced coma. I had almost lost hope with the EOS R, but M6II and 1DXIII restored my faith somewhat. Looking forward to getting the R5 as I still have all my glass. Won't be updating much to RF, maybe just the 15-35 f/2.8, prices are far higher than equivalent EF. Maybe if they release a 300 f/2.8 and/or 500 f/4 in RF is will swap my older versions if they are lighter.
Ok, so how are your photos turning out now without any Canon bodies?
Oh! Wait! You can’t take photos without a Camera!:)

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
Agree. I hate the mode button on the 1DX. I’ve never found an acceptable workaround. 5D design is superior in my opinion. I guess it creates a possible issue for weather sealing but I’ve never had any water issues with my 5Ds.
Jeah, thats a reason I heard quite a lot, but its hard to belive that its actualy so much of a problem. Its not like the 5D is a sensitive camera to rain. Also its just a dial, its not rocket science to make it waterproof ^^

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
Ok, so how are your photos turning out now without any Canon bodies?
Oh! Wait! You can’t take photos without a Camera!:)
To be fair: adapting canon lenses to Sony works realy realy great. Some lenses perform even better. For example I can use my 100-400 IS II with an 2x extender without any problems on the Sony a7r iv, while its only working (badly) on the canons when I switch to liveview (since the F-Stop is to high for the AF to work with the mirror down.)

Upvote 0

dominic_siu

R5, 1435, 2870, 100500, 28, 100 Macro , 135 (RF)
Aug 31, 2018
I was just going to ask if I was the only one who noticed. Perhaps they're taking a much more conservative route with the control layout given the amount of flack the R got with the Mfn bar. Still, the optical sensor in the 1DX III AF button seems like a really elegant solution to the problem of navigating across a full sensor-width of AF points.

Using the screen works well, but it's un-endingly annoying when your nose moves the AF point for you...
I agree, so I need to flip the LCD so that my nose won’t move the AF point when shooting

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
This isn't a 1D class body. Not even close. And the price won't be close.

It likely won't have true zero blackout like the Sony A9/A9II so it isn't going to tempt professionals in the way that camera has.

It's a high-end semi-professional camera, in the same class as the Sony A7R series. You can bet the next A7R camera will support 8K and faster frame rates, so Canon will have to price it comparably. Sure, there's some premium in the R5 being newer and having 8K support etc, but that lead won't last forever. The A7RIV is $3500 so I cannot see Canon pricing this much more than $4000.

But, if you want to pay $7000 for one feel free :)
I think it will be just as rigid as the Canon 5D series and these cameras are incredible solid. The 1D is a bit more solid, but its certainly not any gamechaning difference. And I used both for years side by side.
Certainly the flippy screen will make R5 a bit less sturdy - but given these expected specs and the naming - I think Canon aims clearly to produce a worth 5D replacement, and I highly doubt they will cheap out on sturdiness in that price level.
Why shouldnt it have a true zero blackout? The 1DX III offers it. Also the EOS R got a very decent viewfinder mode, where the image hardly even lags when taking an image.

I dont see the R5 being anywhere "semi"-professional. How do you come to this naming? Is there anything canon offers that is more professional? The 1D may be named, but this is a VERY specific tool and certainly not a camera for the everyday photographers work. (Of course it can be used for anything, but the big footprint, loud shutter and the comparable low resolution makes it a tool for the stadiums and not the best tool for most "Normal" work beside that. Thats where the 5D and 5Ds shines - and now the R5).

You see, I am totaly hyped for this camera :-D After about 6 years of very big disapointments from Canon (Especialy the 5D IV with the unusable video mode) I am finaly hoping for a truely perfect camer :-D
I would pay 7000€ if that would be the price, since I could replace my a7R IV, 5D IV, S1H and 1DX all with just two R5 bodies :) But of course I would prefer a lower price.
I guess it will be at 4000€. Canon appeared to go for higher quality and higher prices in the latest cameras and lenses. So I expect the R5 (as a mirrorless 5D) will exceed the starting price of the 5D series.

Upvote 0

Nelu

1-DX Mark III, EOS R5, EOS R
CR Pro
To be fair: adapting canon lenses to Sony works realy realy great. Some lenses perform even better. For example I can use my 100-400 IS II with an 2x extender without any problems on the Sony a7r iv, while its only working (badly) on the canons when I switch to liveview (since the F-Stop is to high for the AF to work with the mirror down.)
Yes,they do work (kind of) with Canon glass; that is if you do have a Sony camera but from that post it wasn’t obvious.
What I’m getting at is that one can’t be without any camera while waiting for the “magic” one to be available.

Upvote 0

David_E

Macrophotography
Sep 12, 2019
www.flickr.com
Ever wondered how pros have managed without a Mode dial since the dawn of the 1 Series?
No, never wondered. Grand Prix drivers are sitting on ~1000 hp. I get along with ~300. Pro action photographers like 20-MP sensors. For my award-winning macro photos I prefer 24 to 32-MP. IOW, what do I care how the “pros” manage?

Upvote 0