Here are the full Canon EOS RP specifications

Considering the Fuji is a crop sensor camera ($1,399) and the Sony a7 Mark III is right at $2k (I just now checked B&H)... did you really have to ask? Good Lord! There is a huge number of us users that are really only worried about stills anyway. At the last model boot camp I shot less than 300 photos on my 5D Mark III. My two extra batteries never had to be used. Takes 3 seconds to swap a battery. This camera's weight is comparable to the Olympus OM-D E-5 Mark II ($899 M4/3) ... and is full frame. Huge value for the $. The 6D II sensor is a fine sensor. Sensor doesn't change the quality of the lighting, composition, or subject matter... which means far more than the brand and model one chooses to measurebate against. If one can't well light and compose stills, it is doubtful the video would be any better... no matter the frame rate or 1080p or 4k.

No, it is not. If what Canon did is just they recycled 6DII sensor, I will gladly pass on this one, again, and will either wait for the Pro model for another two years, or go with the M5/M6 successor just for its pocketability. I really do expect companies to innovate, so for me, putting-in a sensor almost worse than its 7 years old model is not something I want to spend my money for. Not in the situation, when lower class APS-C models are all on on-chip ADC.

Is that really confirmed, that RP uses exactly the same 6DII sensor? No matter how great and surprising the price is, if they did it again, I would be extremly disappointed. When the 6DII was released, my prediction was, that Canon was in some production press, and that 6DIII is going to be released in 1-2 year's timeframe, to just bring in updated sensor. I expected RP being kind of 6DIII in that respect.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
No, it is not. If what Canon did is just they recycled 6DII sensor, I will gladly pass on this one, again, and will either wait for the Pro model for another two years, or go with the M5/M6 successor just for its pocketability. I really do expect companies to innovate, so for me, putting-in a sensor almost worse than its 7 years old model is not something I want to spend my money for. Not in the situation, when lower class APS-C models are all on on-chip ADC.

Is that really confirmed, that RP uses exactly the same 6DII sensor? No matter how great and surprising the price is, if they did it again, I would be extremly disappointed. When the 6DII was released, my prediction was, that Canon was in some production press, and that 6DIII is going to be released in 1-2 year's timeframe, to just bring in updated sensor. I expected RP being kind of 6DIII in that respect.
Yes, it is.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
I guess I was wrong after all. The brochure shows only 4K 3840 x 2160: 23.98fps. If that is the case, I am giving up. Not for me. Waiting again. ...

No DPAF in 4k also. For the price not surprising but lots of grumbling from the only put in a nickel and get a dollar song crowd.

Jack

Upvote 0
Mar 20, 2015
it probably is. I mean here's full frame for 1300 bucks.

You can pick up a reasonable used 5DS for that price. Which would you choose?

This isn't like the release of the original 5D when Canon were forging a market; the only other FF option at the time was 1Ds at three times the price. Now they're also competing with themselves. Out there in Reality, photographers are making-do with second-hand 5D2 and 6D. Some of the richer ones have 5D3.

People on this board are in the 1% of camera owners. Projections that this will sell like hot-cakes ignore the actual financial reality of life; median income in the USA is $49k for a man.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada

This isn't like the release of the original 5D when Canon were forging a market; the only other FF option at the time was 1Ds at three times the price. Now they're also competing with themselves. Out there in Reality, photographers are making-do with second-hand 5D2 and 6D. Some of the richer ones have 5D3.

People on this board are in the 1% of camera owners. Projections that this will sell like hot-cakes ignore the actual financial reality of life; median income in the USA is $49k for a man.

So the size and weight and RF lenses don't mean anything to anyone? I'd say there is a good chance they'll sell well but hotcakes??:unsure:

Jack

Upvote 0

It is not confirmed to be the exact same sensor. It could be an updated one like the R was from 5Div or completely new. I suspect the former. It would be good to have official confirmation.

Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
The plain EF are not too expensive. Most of the L series, of course, are. Hmmmm... the EF 50mm f/1.8 II is on closeout at Adorama right this second. $129

Sure, there are a few EF lenses that are very good value. The 24–105mm STM is a fairly affordable kit lens; hopefully it's going to have an RF equivalent at some point. What has always been lacking from Canon's lens selection is a non-L FF ultrawide zoom though. Maybe that's going to change at some point as well...

Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
I really do expect companies to innovate, so for me, putting-in a sensor almost worse than its 7 years old model is not something I want to spend my money for. Not in the situation, when lower class APS-C models are all on on-chip ADC.

The 6D2 (and by extension RP) has better high ISO than any crop camera, better high ISO than a Sony A72 (by a full stop), and high ISO very close to the A73. And it has the resolution to match anything in this class. (Everything else is 24mp.)

If you really, truly are regularly pushing shadows 5ev then the 6D2 is not the camera for you. (We don't know yet if the RP sensor has ADCs on chip.) The vast majority of photographers...including the vast majority of photographers who constantly complain about DR...are not pushing their shadows even 3ev.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011

You have to really hunt to find a deal like that. Expect to pay more like $1,600 for used. Gray market new is currently $2k.

But your point is noted: lots of good, used, FF bodies on the market.

Projections that this will sell like hot-cakes ignore the actual financial reality of life; median income in the USA is $49k for a man.

They will sell like hot-cakes in their respective niche. APS-C camera sales will continue to dominate ILC sales, which are continuing to shrink in the face of smartphones.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
There are so may threads and postings it's difficult to keep up. So apologies if I am repeating this, According to cameralabs, "The EOS RP takes the 26.2 Megapixel full-frame sensor from the EOS 6D Mark II (tweaked for the mirrorless flange distance) with Dual Pixel CMOS AF for focusing and 4fps bursts with continuous AF (or 5fps without).", which is presumably correct.
ps, also "unlike the EOS R, the sensor remains exposed when you remove lenses"
https://www.cameralabs.com/canon-eos-rp-review/

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
yeah I use High Speed Sync too when I need to, but it requires the flash to be mounted directly, not controlled wirelessly (via flash on 80D). It can mean harsher direct light, but I will admit I'm not pro with bounce flash capabilities to counter this.

While the flash does freeze the image at the lower speeds, the max shutter speed may mean there is blur leading to that 'freeze'... it can make for neat or annoying results. Again not a pro, so value info like this, but find it weird to work with. Not entirely sure what you mean by 'get it dark enough' .. I don't want things darker, just faster shutter speeds (which I guess makes backgrounds darker)

With radio triggers you can use HSS off camera just fine with any Canon flash capable of HSS when attached to the hot shoe. You just can't do it with the antiquated optical pulse system that Canon used prior to the 600EX-RT.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
The plain EF are not too expensive. Most of the L series, of course, are. Hmmmm... the EF 50mm f/1.8 II is on closeout at Adorama right this second. $129

The EF 50mm f/1.8 STM replaced that lens on the production lines a looong time ago. All that's been left of those since the STM came out are existing stocks.

Upvote 0