Here is the Canon Cinema EOS C70

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
It's the 1DC Mark II :love: .....If that handgrip is built in 1d-style then it better:

1. Takes stills (perhaps a mirrorless 1dx III built in?)
2. Have a swivel screen (or titling at minimum)

If so it'll be a gauntlet through-down for a video/stills hybrid. Which would make sense that it moved from the stills to Cinema line, as the necessary venting and button layout is dictated more by video need than photo.

However, it doesn't look like there's an EVF....which puts a serious damper on any possible stills capability. So if this is only video capable, I'm a bit bummed they just didn't shrink down the C100 body 20% or so....that EVF + removal side grip + swivel/tilt screen is such a versatile package.
Zero stills. Its the C-300-3 in a small body

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Zero stills. Zero. It’s a Cinema Line. 8.8MP DGISO sensor of the C300-3
So it's ok to go one way but not the other? See that's the rub. You can start on a 'Stills Only Body' wishlist thread and all the forum comes to bash your balls. But it's perfectly understandable for this body to take zero stills. And like all things folx come out of the woodwork to explain why you're STILL wrong (me.here.now) Just had to flip it on it's head while I wait for the further Canon innovation pace to create a simplistic camera without teeth gnashing, firmware fixes needed prior to launch and being overtly polarizing. (A stills oriented RF body with only a smidge of video like the 5D3)

Upvote 0
It's the 1DC Mark II :love: .....If that handgrip is built in 1d-style then it better:

If so it'll be a gauntlet through-down for a video/stills hybrid. Which would make sense that it moved from the stills to Cinema line, as the necessary venting and button layout is dictated more by video need than photo.

However, it doesn't look like there's an EVF....which puts a serious damper on any possible stills capability. So if this is only video capable, I'm a bit bummed they just didn't shrink down the C100 body 20% or so....that EVF + removal side grip + swivel/tilt screen is such a versatile package.
That's an interesting observation...because, of course, the 1DC was a cinema camera based on the pro 1DX body. If we continue this analogy, and go in the opposite direction, will the expected mirrorless pro body, the R1, let's call it, be more like this body in shape and size? Is this more of a preview of what's to come for the expected R1?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Respinder

5D Mark III
Mar 4, 2012
No way will they get rid of the “over heating” timer in the R5 and R6 now
This is exactly what I was worried about and now this is proof - Canon really seems to be going hard on the path to crippling their products to protect other lines. For folks like me who desire a proper hybrid - this is not a solution - just another problem.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014

1598674102370.png

Increased the exposure a bit here to see where the lines were by the hand grip. Based off the shadows and highlights I circled, this definitely looks more like the rotating hand-grip set-up that the XC-15 had, so the next question is if it is removable.

Upvote 0
This is exactly what I was worried about and now this is proof - Canon really seems to be going hard on the path to crippling their products to protect other lines. For folks like me who desire a proper hybrid - this is not a solution - just another problem.

FW 1.1.0 seems to alleviate this. Check out froknowsphoto, the improvements might be of use.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019

Have you ever taken a class in logic? Never mind, I know you haven't.

Coming out with a video camera doesn't prove that they crippled a hybrid camera.

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0
Have you used an R5? It worked like a champ covering Hurricane Laura’s aftermath yesterday in the Texas heat and humidity; firmware v1.0.0; no overheating or temperature warning.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Hmm, mixture of some XC-10 and some Blackmagic stuff. I am worried though, as the main question is - whom is the camera for? It should be a Panasonic or Sony A7SIII competitor. But that means - EVF, that also means an IBIS. If Canon made it just a C line like, and it will have no IBIS, then it is a different product for different ppl and as an occassional videographer for weddings, there is a zero chance I would get one, if IBIS is missing. Simple as that.

Upvote 0
Jul 26, 2020
Hmm, mixture of some XC-10 and some Blackmagic stuff. I am worried though, as the main question is - whom is the camera for? It should be a Panasonic or Sony A7SIII competitor. But that means - EVF, that also means an IBIS. If Canon made it just a C line like, and it will have no IBIS, then it is a different product for different ppl and as an occassional videographer for weddings, there is a zero chance I would get one, if IBIS is missing. Simple as that.
The next R5 firmware will have lower bit rate, 4K60p and 4K120p will be more reliable for wedding hybrid.

Upvote 0
The next R5 firmware will have lower bit rate, 4K60p and 4K120p will be more reliable for wedding hybrid.

We will get R5 instead of our 5DIV in spring of next year and it is going to be OK for us stills shooters, with occassional video short shots for a slideshow slow-mo purposes. So we are already sold. But not sure I would use R5 for the all-day video shoot. Any cinema camera without an IBIS, is absolutly not an answer, so once again - wonder what Canon target buyers has Canon in mind. Film makers can get C100 - C700, so who's Canon trying to attract here?

Upvote 0
Jul 26, 2020
We will get R5 instead of our 5DIV in spring of next year and it is going to be OK for us stills shooters, with occassional video short shots for a slideshow slow-mo purposes. So we are already sold. But not sure I would use R5 for the all-day video shoot. Any cinema camera without an IBIS, is absolutly not an answer, so once again - wonder what Canon target buyers has Canon in mind. Film makers can get C100 - C700, so who's Canon trying to attract here?
RF lens user. Slowly coaxing EF users to migrate.

Upvote 0