Here is what Canon is announcing next, including the EOS R7, EOS R10 and RF-S lenses [CR3]

ashmadux

Art Director, Visual Artist, Freelance Photography
Jul 28, 2011
New Yawk
photography.ashworld.com
No in body stabilization for the R10!!!??

There shouldn't be any mirrorless cameras without stabilization. Especially on these small cameras especially prone to shake.
Damn it Canon is going back to its old shenanigans. The r7 will likely be a larger body following the seven series. That means the r10 is going to be the only crop option for carrying around everywhere.

Even worse, trash lenses that will come with it.

Doesn't sound good to me at all.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

ashmadux

Jul 28, 2011
New Yawk
photography.ashworld.com
It took seeing one for me to understand. Now I have one, and its great for a small package, highly portable camera. The lens line up gets a lot of guff, but for what it is you don't want a hundred different lenses. A few small pocketable offerings are what this was designed for, and they have everything you need in the lineup. Some never got updates, but honestly I think that people like me who are more hardcore DSLR/MILC users make up a small fraction of the M users. Most are probably upgrading from a phone to a smaller camera, and those types of users aren't likely the type to know or even care if an optically better upgrade for an M camera came out. Canon is managing the lineup for the primary customer base. And its been doing great.

I'll be sad to see it go if it does. As I don't think they'll be able to full recreate it in the RF line. I don't see the bodies or the lenses getting quite as small.

Brian

Yep they will not recreate the lenses that the M currently has. So you can buy a nice cheaper ASPC r Mount camera but you're pretty much forced to buy huge full frame lenses for it.

Over the course of the last 8 years I have used my m cameras at least double the rate more like triple. Because they are small and can be carried everywhere. I guess we'll just have to see, but if there's no small lenses for these little crop bodies then it's just a terrible situation.

Upvote 0
Feb 7, 2019
UK

There shouldn't be any mirrorless cameras without stabilization. Especially on these small cameras especially prone to shake.
Damn it Canon is going back to its old shenanigans. The r7 will likely be a larger body following the seven series. That means the r10 is going to be the only crop option for carrying around everywhere.

Don’t buy it then…

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

ashmadux

Jul 28, 2011
New Yawk
photography.ashworld.com
Time will tell what Canon decides to do about the M system, which is still selling quite well.

For those (like me) who sometimes need a very small and lightweight ILC, the R10 would have to be extremely small and the rumoured RF-S lenses would have to be smaller than the current non-L RF lenses to replace the M-system. I obviously don't have an R10, but I have an RF 50 1.8 and an EF-M 22 2 in front of me. Lenses the size of the RF 50 are too large for the specific purposes I use them.
Might well be that I'll have to replace the M6 with a smartphone once it breaks :oops: Or use a camera from another brand, if such cameras still exist then

Work. I'm on my 3rd m62, and the M50 has great autofocus but the noisy files are just not awesome especially for portraits.

The m62 would be the ideal camera for those of us invested in the M mount, but it seems to be a lot of bad copies with questionable auto focus. Cannon told me that they don't even fix them they don't have parts for them, they swap them like apple does ipads. So there's a fairly good chance that you could get one with trash AF like I've been experiencing. My original M1 has done great for me over the years and that's why I never got rid of it. But upgrading to the M50 and the m62 has been a complete pain in the butt.

I'm not worried about lenses for the M because it has everything that I need otherwise I adapt my EF glass. All I needed was these later M's to work well and it just hasn't been a great experience.

And now with the r10 which would be the upgrade for me, to not have in body stabilization just tells me I'm going to invest in some other camera manufacturer. If Canon can't bring me the small crop stabilized body that I need then screw them. The lack of stabilization in M bodies is the worst thing about the series imho.

Upvote 0
Feb 7, 2019
UK
I likely won't have a choice. My M cameras right now are not super reliable, so I guess I'm looking towards another brand. The lack of is on small bodies is a killer.
Why is it? I’ve never had a Camera with IBIS before and my pictures are fine. It’d be a nice addition but is in no way a crucial feature.

Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019

Actually those that most often use them, have them on small compact gimbals. Some of which fit in small handbags. Many M50 and M6 content creators use Sigma

Upvote 0

mdcmdcmdc

EOS R7, M5, 100 (film), Sony α6400
CR Pro
Sep 4, 2020
I likely won't have a choice. My M cameras right now are not super reliable, so I guess I'm looking towards another brand. The lack of is on small bodies is a killer.

Canon obviously views IBIS as a high-end feature. Just look at the M. None of the bodies have it. All of the M zooms have OIS instead.

If the R10 is really meant to be a consumer/enthusiast body, the vast majority of Canon's target users won't be wanting to use the fast but unstabilized RF "L" zooms and primes. That's equipment geeks like us who are looking to score a high-end body at a low-end price.

Most, maybe all (I haven't checked), of the slower non-L RF zooms have OIS. So Canon's expected R10 users will have stabilization available. Just like the M series now.

I'm not saying that Canon is right to keep IBIS as a premium feature, but it's their choice. I've posted before about how both Fuji and Sony have high-end APS-C bodies with IBIS and other pro-spec features (weather sealing, dual card slots, magnesium alloy construction) for well under $2000. Maybe one of those would be a better fit for your needs and budget.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

The Nikon DX bodies don’t have IBIS so I wouldn’t count on it from Canon. If there is already a precedent from their main competitor to not do something and that competitor is selling plenty of these (especially repackaged in a retro design) then I don’t see Canon having the will to push this when they can get away with not doing it.

On another track, maybe Canon can get into retro and put the R7/R10 guts into a historically significant case design for the dial lovers and fashion conscious.

Upvote 0

bergstrom

Photographer
Feb 23, 2015
Its interesting how canon say chip shortages slows production, but then plan on releasing a crap crop series of cameras that people are already complaining about. If they cancel the crap crops and focus on making pretty decent budget entry mirrorless cameras, then they can use their bundle of chips making those instead.

• Haha
Upvote 0
RF-S is most likely is the replacement for EF-S platform, while the M-mount is a whole separate system altogether, and I don't think we can infer anything about the latter from these news.
Perhaps eventually but Canon still sells a lot of xxD/xxxD/xxxxD cameras which needs EF-s lenses. Canon has discontinued some though

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Well the R5c doesn't have IBIS. It is assumed that this is due to heat management and would save some money.
Also, there are numerous reports of issues of combined IBIS/OIS for wide angle video with the R5. Using only OIS would be a positive in this case as Canon doesn't allow IBIS to be switched off separate to OIS.

Upvote 0

mdcmdcmdc

EOS R7, M5, 100 (film), Sony α6400
CR Pro
Sep 4, 2020
On another track, maybe Canon can get into retro and put the R7/R10 guts into a historically significant case design for the dial lovers and fashion conscious.
I think they'd make a big splash with M6II guts in an AE-1 style body. It would generate a lot of publicity and be hipster heaven!

Upvote 0

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
But, your current M bodies don't have IBIS either, so why would that stop you replacing them with a successor without it? If they are intending to keep the form factor (and $s) comparable to the M series, then IBIS is unlikely. Some of the competitors do (of course) have IBIS, but it's always a compromise on image quality / $s / features, no matter what body we're talking about.

Upvote 0