Here is what Canon is announcing next, including the EOS R7, EOS R10 and RF-S lenses [CR3]

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
the high resolution DSLR were named 5dR and 5ds.

Given that Canon is now copying their DSLR line up in terms of numbers by replacing the 5d with R5 and 6d (R6), it makes most sense of naming a high resolution camera R5s.

There’s no way Canon will release an R2 as high mega Pixel Camera because people would expect a different camera body and feature to differentiate it from the R5. This would cause a lot of R&D costs and given that it will be niche camera, they won’t do that. They’ll take the great ergonomics of the R5, put in a different sensor and name it R5s or R5R(es). The fun thing is: people will love it :)

R2 is a possible name for a camera, no doubt about it. But it won’t be the rumored high res one.
Why wouldnt they change the body alittle. At 100MP you would think they would do dual cf express unless it is a super low fps camera. I would think they would want to move away from the R5 since the series is known for overheating. The first question will be if it overheats if they made an R5S. The R5C already shows it isnt a reflection of the 5D series entirely. That being said I am not discounting an r5 mark II one day in a few years

Upvote 0
That was my take. The M6 II had to go because it was a little too much of the same, but with the small battery, there was no way to put a Digic-x in an M camera. I don't think either of these will be particularly small cameras and further, I suspect the 18-45 is an entry FF lens that serves dual purpose.
I would not get upset if they switch to xxD battery on cameras like RP, M50 and M6.

Upvote 0

Dragon

EF 800L f/5.6, RF 800 f/11
May 29, 2019
Oregon
I would not get upset if they switch to xxD battery on cameras like RP, M50 and M6.
All those bodies would be substantially bigger and heavier with an LP-E6 battery. Something like the RP would be OK with that, but it would defeat the primary purpose of the M cameras, which is why I think the M50 will be around for some time yet. We will know more Tuesday when we see just how small the R10 actually is.

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2014
All those bodies would be substantially bigger and heavier with an LP-E6 battery. Something like the RP would be OK with that, but it would defeat the primary purpose of the M cameras, which is why I think the M50 will be around for some time yet. We will know more Tuesday when we see just how small the R10 actually is.

The Sony A6600 uses the big Z battery and has image stabilization and EVF. Despite all these it's not really any bigger than Canon's M50. So it's possible!

1652994322845.png

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Dragon

May 29, 2019
Oregon
The Sony A6600 uses the big Z battery and has image stabilization and EVF. Despite all these it's not really any bigger than Canon's M50. So it's possible!

View attachment 203684
It is 17% thicker and 30% heavier even with the funky little offset EVF and without a fully articulated screen. It is also well over twice the price. All else being equal, bigger batteries make bigger cameras.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
The 5DS, 5DSR, and 7D Mark II all had the same pixel density, just on different size sensors.

if Canon does that again, and the R7 really is 32.5 MP, we’re looking at about 83 MP for the R5S.
They could also go from the 45 MP of the R5 to ~61MP if they base the pixel density off of a 24MP APS-C camera. Even though a jump of 15+ MP seems large, at those image sizes, it's literally going from 8192 to 9600 pixels across the long edge of the frame. It is more resolution, but not dramatically so. Basing it off the 32.5MP of the 90D/M6II would be a really big jump. I'm not sure everybody really needs that much.

Upvote 0

Dragon

May 29, 2019
Oregon
They could also go from the 45 MP of the R5 to ~61MP if they base the pixel density off of a 24MP APS-C camera. Even though a jump of 15+ MP seems large, at those image sizes, it's literally going from 8192 to 9600 pixels across the long edge of the frame. It is more resolution, but not dramatically so. Basing it off the 32.5MP of the 90D/M6II would be a really big jump. I'm not sure everybody really needs that much.
My bet would be at least 83MP and wouldn't be surprised by 100MP. Canon won't let Sony have the MP crown for too long. They never do. Such a camera would certainly test the limits of those RF L lenses :) .

Upvote 0
That's why I think the RP is the "gateway" camera from the smaller cameras in their lineup. It uses the same battery, does SD card, for full frame, is easily the smallest camera Canon has made so far, is reasonably light with the 16 and 50 STM lenses, etc. It doesn't fit all the small and light market needs, but it hits a lot of them and delivers full frame to boot. Canon did say they were focusing on the higher margin parts of the camera business, so it makes sense that they'd lay down a pathway for the other users to follow to get into that market.

Upvote 0
My bet would be at least 83MP and wouldn't be surprised by 100MP. Canon won't let Sony have the MP crown for too long. They never do. Such a camera would certainly test the limits of those RF L lenses :) .
True. What'd I'd really like to see is an APS-C camera that was 7680x5120 (~39.3MP, UHD video) and a full frame at the same pixel density, so 12400x8266 (~102MP). That would be pretty awesome.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
If you are talking about the mythical R5-s, the safest bet is the same pixel density as the R7 scaled up to full frame or around 83 mp. Sixty-one mp would be too low and doesn't leave enough room for the R5 MkII, which will probably be in the range of 50-60 mp when it gets released in a couple of years.

Upvote 0
"substantially bigger and heavier with an LP-E6 battery."
A little bigger and insignificantly heavier.
The battery is not the reason why the 90D is heavier than M6.

LP-E12 is a joke on the M50.
M6 is not heavier with the LP-E17.

Upvote 0
Jun 27, 2013
Pune
So the leaked photos of R7 dont inspire confidence in name, it looks like a mirrorless 77D with dual SD slots and is missing X-sync port, 3 pin shutter release and info panel. Also that AF-MF selector switch on front panel shows the stupidity of Canon in removing AF-MF switches from their RF lenses making this whole selector switch similar to Nikon's F mount DSLRs.
Google translate link to images of both R7 and R10:

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2014
So the leaked photos of R7 dont inspire confidence in name, it looks like a mirrorless 77D with dual SD slots and is missing X-sync port, 3 pin shutter release and info panel. Also that AF-MF selector switch on front panel shows the stupidity of Canon in removing AF-MF switches from their RF lenses making this whole selector switch similar to Nikon's F mount DSLRs.

Is there any point for the 3 pin shutter release when the camera has intervalometer and can be controller by smartphone?

Upvote 0

vjlex

EOS R5
Oct 15, 2011
Osaka, Japan
My first reaction was to dislike the on-body AF-MF selector, but thinking about it again, I think I might like that better. I've never been a big fan of tiny, flush switches on the lens. Especially some of which can have up to three switches. The front of the body seems like a nice, consistent location, regardless of which lens I'm using.

Upvote 0
Jun 27, 2013
Pune
My first reaction was to dislike the on-body AF-MF selector, but thinking about it again, I think I might like that better. I've never been a big fan of tiny, flush switches on the lens. Especially some of which can have up to three switches. The front of the body seems like a nice, consistent location, regardless of which lens I'm using.
Having switches in multiple places(for the lenses that have it) along with Exclusive OR condition for operation of AF selection makes it a odd situation especially in dark. If it was AF/MF selector on body exclusively from begining of R mount instead of on lens then it would have been convinient for non adopted lenses especially for shooting in dark.

Upvote 0

Dragon

May 29, 2019
Oregon
"substantially bigger and heavier with an LP-E6 battery."
A little bigger and insignificantly heavier.
The battery is not the reason why the 90D is heavier than M6.

LP-E12 is a joke on the M50.
M6 is not heavier with the LP-E17.
The M6 II is 20g heavier than the M50 II and that is without the evf.

Upvote 0