Here we go again, the Canon RF 35mm f/1.4L rumored to be announced next month

Canon may have some technical problem to produce 35mm f1.2. the lens may be over 1kg.
I think they wait Nikon releases first and plan again.

Sony 35mm f1 4 is 524g only.
Canon would not be heavier if they want.
I don't mind Canon releases f1.4 first for R5ii

And release R5s with f1.2 next year.
But R5s and 35m f1 2 are myth in here now. Ha .

Upvote 0

roby17269

R5, H5X + IQ1-80, DJI Mini & Mavic 3 Pro, GoPro 10
Feb 26, 2014
New York
rdmfashionphoto.com
Will Canon announce both 1.2 and 1.4? Unlikely, but would be nice. I prefer the 1.2 but if they both are announced and 1.4 has IS and 1.2 does not, I will have to give it a long hard look before finalizing. But I know that I am overthinking...
With a 35mm, I would be happy with trusting IBIS. So between a 1.2 and a 1.4 IS I would go for the former, no question. Also I believe that ILIS has a minuscole negative effect on image quality, therefore I am ok to not have it in lenses shorter than 85mm

Edit: actually happy to not have it up to 200mm, with the exception of special ILIS units like the one in the 100 macro (which I assume has the same special capabilities as the EF latest 100 macro, but I do not remember if that's the case or not). E.g. the Nikon Z 135mm f/1.8 Plena does not have ILIS like the RF version, but seems to have slightly better sharpness in the corners (which may or may not matter, especially if you use those lenses for portraiture).

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
Once owned the EF 35 mm f1.4, but rarely use it so while this is a great lens I don't think it is one I am personally interested in using. I actually own the 35 mm f1.8 STM lens for the 1:2 Macro feature which I do use for wide angle close up photography.

I really do appreciate the wideness of 35 mm and 1/2 macro as a lot more is in focus vs 100 f/2.8 1:1 or 1:1.4.
I also have the RF 24 f/1.8 but there is a lot more distortion at close focus.

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
With a 35mm, I would be happy with trusting IBIS. So between a 1.2 and a 1.4 IS I would go for the former, no question. Also I believe that ILIS has a minuscole negative effect on image quality, therefore I am ok to not have it in lenses shorter than 85mm

Edit: actually happy to not have it up to 200mm, with the exception of special ILIS units like the one in the 100 macro (which I assume has the same special capabilities as the EF latest 100 macro, but I do not remember if that's the case or not). E.g. the Nikon Z 135mm f/1.8 Plena does not have ILIS like the RF version, but seems to have slightly better sharpness in the corners (which may or may not matter, especially if you use those lenses for portraiture).
I have real use for IS at shorter focal lengths. It comes real handy when walking down streets/landscape at low light without a tripod. Real handy. :)
I would be delighted with a 1.2 with IS lens.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012

I want to learn about the minuscule negative effect of IS on image quality. Could you post links, please? Thx. [I have heard about the possibility of negative affect with IS on a tripod - even that is not confirmed]. Thx.

Upvote 0