High-resolution EOS R Camera, Where are you?

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
Welcome to a world with progress in technology. There are still people using older technology and some of the prefer it obsolete or not.
Indeed. (As a current 5DS user) when Canon announce that they have officially discontinued the 5Div I’m going to snap one up at the inevitable heavily discounted price.
Then when in a few years time people realise that a mirror and prism is quite a neat way of shooting digitally with little power I’ll be ahead of the curve ! :censored:

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Go to the DXO website, you will see that our 100mm F2.8 L Macro IS USM, mounted on a 5DS R 50 MP body, are not capable of going beyond 24 MP. It's an optic that dates from 2009 and needs to be updated not only in RF but in EF too !!!

Ahh yes, DxOMark. Where dynamic range is a big part of how they rank lens performance.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
You said it!
Shouldn't we start trolling Sonyrumors and complain A9-III's DR being lower than Canon's? :devilish:
Clearly you don’t understand. This camera is built for speed so it’s ok to sacrifice a little DR. Of course, it wasn’t ok when the 1D X came out. But it’s ok now. Understand?

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
Clearly you don’t understand. This camera is built for speed so it’s ok to sacrifice a little DR. Of course, it wasn’t ok when the 1D X came out. But it’s ok now. Understand?
Thanks, now I've got it!
Less DR is good for a brand new Sony, not for Canon. Absolutely logical!
Same for 24 MP, bad for the R3, good for the A9.
I should have known...:rolleyes:

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
I've always found this anthropomorphizing of companies quite silly...;)
A company wants and needs profits, anything else is (expletive deleted).
There's certainly worse things to worry about than any camera company's business stratagy. Most people aren't going to put any of Canon's products in their body, for instance.

Upvote 0
The Sony a9 III seems to be the new benchmark in terms of housing.

Concerning myself, I bought a 5D MK IV with lenses a few years ago and all this equipment became obsolete with the change from the EF to RF mount.

I consider myself wronged by Canon's commercial policy which in this case is not respectful of a customer such as me.
As others stated, EF lenses only perform better on RF bodies, so it isn't obsolete. I was coming from EOS 100>10>1V>80D> R6&R50 now. The EF-RF adapter with ND/CPL and 0.71x speedbooster is massive improvement from EF.

Unless form factor is your main concern. Jumping ship to Sony Nikon Panasonic Fuji isn't a good solution.

Ahh yes, DxOMark. Where dynamic range is a big part of how they rank lens performance.

DXO overrates MP at low ISO. And they aren't updating frequently anymore so it's not worthy of reference. And they contribute to the founding of Sony CMOS cult, where every non-CMOS equipped camera is being slander for no good. And bloating BSI is more advanced than FSI

Upvote 0
Pixel count is really overestimated, I am with you, 24 MP is perfect for full frame for most applications - if you do not need to crop severely. In fact I was really happy with the 22 MP of my 5D3 back then. Only in wildlife photography with tele lenses more resolution really makes sense, so you can crop. I decided to go for an R7 which gives me even more "reach" than a 45 MP FF camera, when I shoot wildlife. For other settings, my 5D4 with 30 MP is even more than I need. My wife still uses some of her old 12 MP Nikons. A3 photo prints from those cameras show rich details, so you could easily sell them to spec fanatics as prints from a 60 MP camera - they would believe it.
I think that your opinion about lots of pixels is just as wrong as that of the pixel enthusiasts. It depends on what you are recording and why. The narrative of the printed photo is often used, but in 2023 it has already become a rare case of photo exploitation. Today, high-resolution photos are processed digitally and used in many different media. With only 12Mpixels, you no longer need to deliver photos there.
But it doesn't always make sense to work with a high-resolution sensor. Low light works better with fewer pixels and larger ones. The lower resolution requires less computing power, saves energy and is faster when saving serial images. It just depends on what you want to photograph and who is processing your image.
Another popular narrative is that the lens has poor resolution. Yes, if you reach into your retro drawer, it may actually be the case that your lens is already at its limit at just 30 MP FF. In the last 10 years, the quality of lenses in terms of resolution, contrast and edge sharpness have become significantly better than most bodies can capture. I just want to remind you of the very good ART lenses from Sigma. Example Sigma 50mm Art f1.4 or Sigma 105mm f/2.8 EX OS HSM Macro, Sigma 180mm f/2.8 EX OS HSM Macro.
Some Canon Ls are incredibly good - for example EF16-35 L f/2.8 III or EF70-200 L f/2.8 IS USM III.
These all resolve easily, including the 50MPixels. I use these and a few other lenses on an EOS 5Ds, EOS R5, EOS 80D, EOS 5DM4 and EOS-R. No one can take anything away when it comes to resolution. Anyone who takes an EOS 5Ds to a concert has not understood the essentials.

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
Anyone who takes an EOS 5Ds to a concert has not understood the essentials.
Really ? I compared my 5DS to a Sony A7S - same 2015 generation, and in low light at ISO 3200 I found little difference when the 5DS files were reduced to 12mp. Granted, the Sony was slightly better if I really analysed the images, but nowhere near enough difference to make me want to buy one at the time.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Really ? I compared my 5DS to a Sony A7S - same 2015 generation, and in low light at ISO 3200 I found little difference when the 5DS files were reduced to 12mp. Granted, the Sony was slightly better if I really analysed the images, but nowhere near enough difference to make me want to buy one at the time.
Perhaps 'understanding the essentials' means pixel peeping?

Upvote 0
Concerning myself, I bought a 5D MK IV with lenses a few years ago and all this equipment became obsolete with the change from the EF to RF mount.

I consider myself wronged by Canon's commercial policy which in this case is not respectful of a customer such as me.
There is no way that your equipment is obsolete.
You can still buy a replacement 5Div if you want to. I am sure that you can still make wonderful images with what you have.
Even if you want to upgrade from the 5Div to the R5, it is only a couple of hundred dollars (B&H from USD3000 vs USD2700) and all your lenses will work as is or better with the latest AF advances.
I can't see how you were "wronged" or being "disrespected"

Upvote 0
So no, for me it is not possible to be in paradise when I buy Japanese brands that behave like this towards me !!!
Feel free to buy from any French brand of camera then or even Leica but if you don't like Japanese brands then Sony/Nikon/Canon/Panasonic/Olympus/Fuji etc will make buying decisions more difficult.

• Haha
Upvote 0
Indeed. (As a current 5DS user) when Canon announce that they have officially discontinued the 5Div I’m going to snap one up at the inevitable heavily discounted price.
Then when in a few years time people realise that a mirror and prism is quite a neat way of shooting digitally with little power I’ll be ahead of the curve ! :censored:
it is only USD300 difference between new 5Div vs R5 at the moment. World's apart in performance (except for battery life).

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0