High RF lens color accuracy and consistency

Mar 17, 2020
Ran RF lens color tests in Lightroom using a R6 with a custom dual illuminate color profile made for the camera. Tests included shots in bright sunlight and shadows. For each shot I took a separate neutral grey shot to have the same white balance across all shots.

The test included the EF 35mm L II (for reference), RF 70-200 f/2.8, RF 100-500mm, RF 28-70mm f/2.0 and RF 50mm f/1.8. As I expected the results showed excellent color accuracy and consistency across all lenses - including the EF 35mm L II (which has some of Canon's newest lens coatings).

My conclusion is that swapping R-lenses will not lead to color inconsistencies and there is no need to repeat neutral grey shots unless your light changes - if using a proper color profile to process your files.

I will test more RF primes later. But expect the same results.

Dec 13, 2010
Thanks for sharing! I had serious issues with color and to make a long story short, I returned my Datacolor Spyder X pro and got the i1 Display Pro instead and order was restored. If you want correct calibration, X-rite is the way to go.

I’m very happy with the new Color Checker Passport v2 and can finally get the colors I want. I’ve noticed too that the R5 with RF-L’s are seriously good and requires less correction.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Mar 17, 2020
Thanks for sharing! I had serious issues with color and to make a long story short, I returned my Datacolor Spyder X pro and got the i1 Display Pro instead and order was restored. If you want correct calibration, X-rite is the way to go.

I’m very happy with the new Color Checker Passport v2 and can finally get the colors I want. I’ve noticed too that the R5 with RF-L’s are seriously good and requires less correction.
Use X-rite myself, but should normally not make any difference. Like the ease of use. Good it workes for you too.

Color correction is so much better: better highlights, better shadows, more DR, more consistent colors. Think too many just use the built-in profiles and swap a very small convenience and pocket money for optimal results with their $$,$$$ equipement. I bought a new X-rite recently after the last one started falling apart after maybe 8 years of heavy use.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
Use X-rite myself, but should normally not make any difference. Like the ease of use. Good it workes for you too.

Color correction is so much better: better highlights, better shadows, more DR, more consistent colors. Think too many just use the built-in profiles and swap a very small convenience and pocket money for optimal results with their $$,$$$ equipement. I bought a new X-rite recently after the last one started falling apart after maybe 8 years of heavy use.
I agree it absolutely should not make a difference. I went through an whole ordeal back and forth with Datacolor, sent them raw images, pictures of the screen and my calibration profiles made with the Spyder and they said the profiles were correct, everything in order. X-rite told me my Color Checker profiles were very good, perhaps a tad warm, which was the opposite my screen showed. So since I’ve used a ColorMunki Display for a decade that has been great I saw no other way than trying a new X-rite one. Ran the 461 patch calibration and it matches prints flawlessly.
I can’t understand how Datacolor said the profile was correct... and I tried at least 50 calibrations, some varied, but all was way too magenta.

such a relief it’s great now.

Upvote 0
Mar 17, 2020
The color inconsistencies between my Sigma and Canon lenses have me finally transitioning over to Canon glass entirely.
If you use color correction, you can avoid this problem. I have a Samyang 14mm and its not a problem to maintain consistent colors after you have built the needed profile - which you only need to do once. I hope myself that Sigma will give some of their better primes an RF-mount. Choice is good. And with mirrorless AF is not the challenge it used to be.

Upvote 0