Hints in the EOS R1 teaser video?

Stig Nygaard

EOS R7, Powershot G5 X II & Olympus TG-5
Canon Rumors Premium
Jul 10, 2013
Copenhagen
www.flickr.com
First, I'm sorry. I haven't read all comments to all posts here on CR. So this might have been mentioned before. But someone on dpreview saw a possible hint of what to come in the little EOS R1 teaser video.

First look at the R3 teaser video. In hindsight it clearly hints the Eye Control AF feature.

Then look at the red pattern "flashed" over the EOS R1 title in the R1 teaser video:

"Quad Pixel" sensor design?

Besides for better autofocus, if true, could such a design also be used for the rumoured dual-gain support?
One pair of sub-pixels with "high" gain, and the other pair of sub-pixels with "low" gain?

I don't know much about dual-gain sensor designs, but I assume the advantage would be higher dynamic range.

/Stig

First, I'm sorry. I haven't read all comments to all posts here on CR. So this might have been mentioned before. But someone on dpreview saw a possible hint of what to come in the little EOS R1 teaser video.

First look at the R3 teaser video. In hindsight it clearly hints the Eye Control AF feature.

Then look at the red pattern "flashed" over the EOS R1 title in the R1 teaser video:

"Quad Pixel" sensor design?

Besides for better autofocus, if true, could such a design also be used for the rumoured dual-gain support?
One pair of sub-pixels with "high" gain, and the other pair of sub-pixels with "low" gain?

I don't know much about dual-gain sensor designs, but I assume the advantage would be higher dynamic range.

/Stig
You can do that today, with some extra processing and this tool: https://www.fastrawviewer.com/DPRSplit

It won't be as impressive as your idea, but a one stop gain is still very nice. I know the R8 supports DP-RAW in CRAW, so the doubling of filesize can be off-set a bit.

Upvote 0