How (and Why) I Took the Shot #1: Overlook

Yep, there's a lot of you in that image -- I saw it before I read a word.

I've done a lot of the kind of work you do, and I always see our brokenness. Yet, off in the distance is always that vague promise of something better. We are all broken people hoping for oneness.

Compositionally, I love the stacked horizontal lines -- and the dark/light contrasts between them.

Thanks for sharing this -- and I'll look forward to more of these.

Upvote 0
distant.star said:
Yep, there's a lot of you in that image -- I saw it before I read a word.

I've done a lot of the kind of work you do, and I always see our brokenness. Yet, off in the distance is always that vague promise of something better. We are all broken people hoping for oneness.

Compositionally, I love the stacked horizontal lines -- and the dark/light contrasts between them.

Thanks for sharing this -- and I'll look forward to more of these.

Insightful and meaningful response. Thank you.

Upvote 0

surapon

80% BY HEART, 15% BY LENSES AND ONLY 5% BY CAMERA
Aug 2, 2013
APEX, NORTH CAROLINA, USA.
TWI by Dustin Abbott said:
Hi everyone! I've been encouraged from multiple sources to start writing smaller pieces that tell the story of what was in my mind while shooting. This first shot is a simple subject that tells a story. Thought you might enjoy reading the piece if you are interested:

http://dustinabbott.net/2014/02/how-and-why-i-took-the-shot-1-overlook/

Dear Dustin , my friend and my teacher.
I love your posts and your links, That make me learn your point of views and " How to " with your great knowledge of photography.
Thank you, Sir.
Surapon

Upvote 0
surapon said:
TWI by Dustin Abbott said:
Hi everyone! I've been encouraged from multiple sources to start writing smaller pieces that tell the story of what was in my mind while shooting. This first shot is a simple subject that tells a story. Thought you might enjoy reading the piece if you are interested:

http://dustinabbott.net/2014/02/how-and-why-i-took-the-shot-1-overlook/

Thank you, Surapon. Glad to share

Dear Dustin , my friend and my teacher.
I love your posts and your links, That make me learn your point of views and " How to " with your great knowledge of photography.
Thank you, Sir.
Surapon

Upvote 0

leGreve

Full time photographer and film maker omnifilm.dk
Nov 6, 2010
Denmark
vimeo.com
Allow me, the always contrast to back padding, to toss in some critique.... Before I read a word, I didnt know didly squat about you, who you are and what you do and I didnt have the faintest idea what you wanted to signify with that shot.

Normally youd say a picture speaks a thousand words, in this case I feel more like the picture needed a thousand words in order to carryit across.

So is it succesful? Within a small back padding community... It might be, but as a work of art or communicative piece it falls very short. It reminds me of some of the shots of my very first film roll I shot.

So yes indeed, photography is a matter of taste and apparently also a lot about knowing the artist in this case.

Sorry, I dont want to be harsh, but it also gets sickening to see thread after thread celebrating mediocraty. For some reason the internet is riddled with the idea that one is not allowed to critize unless its based on something positive.

Upvote 0
I will agree that sycophancy runs rampant. We are also nearly bedridden in mediocrity. The silver lining in all that, I believe, is that more people than ever are taking pictures and trying to get it right. In the right circumstances, it is helpful to provide a useful critique for them, but it has to be done deftly.

This thread does not seem targeted at critique or criticism. Justin said he was going to start explaining how and why he created some of his images. I didn't see that as an invitation to criticism nor did I see it as a statement that any particular image might be noteworthy. That is a very helpful educational endeavor; I'm a big believer in knowing why you're taking a picture as it helps with the how of taking a picture.

Most interesting to me is that no one has yet praised this as a good image. For me, it communicates what Justin said he intended, and it's the kind of image I would attempt to create for the same reasons. As I said I do like the dark/light contrasting bands, especially as they contribute to the overall concept. Otherwise, I haven't said anything about whether it is or is not a good image.

I'm all for honest critique, and I suspect Justin is too. In this case, I'd wait for an invitation -- and if the invitation came, I'd do better than just saying it doesn't work. There have to be factual reasons why pictures succeed or fail. Ironically, the best artists rarely have the knack for providing useful critique; hence we have experts who specialize in criticism of all forms of art.

leGreve said:
Allow me, the always contrast to back padding, to toss in some critique.... Before I read a word, I didnt know didly squat about you, who you are and what you do and I didnt have the faintest idea what you wanted to signify with that shot.

Normally youd say a picture speaks a thousand words, in this case I feel more like the picture needed a thousand words in order to carryit across.

So is it succesful? Within a small back padding community... It might be, but as a work of art or communicative piece it falls very short. It reminds me of some of the shots of my very first film roll I shot.

So yes indeed, photography is a matter of taste and apparently also a lot about knowing the artist in this case.

Sorry, I dont want to be harsh, but it also gets sickening to see thread after thread celebrating mediocraty. For some reason the internet is riddled with the idea that one is not allowed to critize unless its based on something positive.

Upvote 0
distant.star said:
I will agree that sycophancy runs rampant. We are also nearly bedridden in mediocrity. The silver lining in all that, I believe, is that more people than ever are taking pictures and trying to get it right. In the right circumstances, it is helpful to provide a useful critique for them, but it has to be done deftly.

This thread does not seem targeted at critique or criticism. Justin said he was going to start explaining how and why he created some of his images. I didn't see that as an invitation to criticism nor did I see it as a statement that any particular image might be noteworthy. That is a very helpful educational endeavor; I'm a big believer in knowing why you're taking a picture as it helps with the how of taking a picture.

Most interesting to me is that no one has yet praised this as a good image. For me, it communicates what Justin said he intended, and it's the kind of image I would attempt to create for the same reasons. As I said I do like the dark/light contrasting bands, especially as they contribute to the overall concept. Otherwise, I haven't said anything about whether it is or is not a good image.

I'm all for honest critique, and I suspect Justin is too. In this case, I'd wait for an invitation -- and if the invitation came, I'd do better than just saying it doesn't work. There have to be factual reasons why pictures succeed or fail. Ironically, the best artists rarely have the knack for providing useful critique; hence we have experts who specialize in criticism of all forms of art.

leGreve said:

Rightly so. But I'd like to add a couple of words. I want to stay positive and encouraging, but I'm wondering about why he started this thread in the first place. I know he is trying to promote himself as he has clearly stated that at least once, but after a number of posts claiming that the community has asked him to do this review this and that or explain how he's taken a picture etc. to me comes out as a bit presumptuous. I've been around this forum for about two and a half years and have yet to read about someone asking him to. Honesty is important in any kind of marketing. It'd be better to come out as Ivan Muller, I think it was, who just simply shared his thoughts about the 6D after a few weeks of usage.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the feedback all around, everyone. Discussion is good. This image is far from being one of the most glamorous in my portfolio. Of the images I have posted in the past year on Flickr, for example, it probably got the least amount of favorites.

As a few have noted, however, the point of sharing this image and writing the article was to explain, in part, why we take photos that we do. It was to communicate that there is meaning in even the simple (or broken) things. I'm fine with your criticism.

As far as being uninvited, that is patently untrue. I have been asked repeatedly in various threads to write tutorials and to explain my workflow. Not everyone wants that, but not everyone has to read this. It is posted in the appropriate area, I believe.

Upvote 0
Thanks for posting this Dustin! I enjoyed reading the story associated with this image and why it is meaningful to you. I for one am certainly interested in the thought process of other photographers, why they took a particular picture, and composed it the way they did; especially when it comes from a photographer whose work I admire and respect, as is the case here.

Not every image is significant because of its beauty, composition, and artistic elements. Some pictures are significant at a personal level for what they mean to the photographer and the story behind the picture.

I look forward to additional articles along this line!

Upvote 0
I agree with all the previous comments, Dustin's posts are always worth the time to read... thanks for sharing!

I enjoy reading Dustin's posts and typically I feel humbled, empowered or both after I absorb the material.

In this case, I'm humbled. When I shoot the majority of my pictures, it's in the 'heat of the moment' and that is apparently where I thrive. I am more challenged and slightly intimidated when I have to create a thought provoking image like the one Dustin has shared in a quite setting such as this. My normal photography is of a journalistic style focusing on people and events so when I am faced with a 'blank canvas' of sorts, I struggle to create an image that is compelling. Knowing the how and why behind a picture means a lot to me. I'm anxious to see more when you are willing to share it Dustin. Thanks!

Rusty

Upvote 0
Again, thanks for the feedback (whether positive or negative). It helps give me a sense of where I would like to take this series.

BTW, this series is being requested by a certain very large company in the industry, and so I will write them despite opinions on a message board. But I do value your feedback, as I obviously want to make them as beneficial (and enjoyable) as possible.

Maybe the next shot will be a little more glamorous... ;D

Upvote 0

cellomaster27

Capture the moment!
Jun 3, 2013
San Jose - CA
Honestly, I think the image is just whatever. For me, when I look at something (ie a gallery), I do not read the caption first before looking at the photo. If the photo intrigues me, then I will look at the caption/description and then say aha! Your description is alright, but I feel like it's trying too hard to make something out of the photo from your perspective/invoked intentions. I'm just trying to state what I feel as a viewer. No hard feelings. ;) Keep shooting~

Upvote 0