How are you setting up your EOS R

Jun 12, 2015
Am I doing something wrong? I don't have small hands, but I find that when using my right thumb, I have to release my right hand grip on the camera to get the AF point to the left side of the EVF. This is with either 'top right' or 'bottom right' selected.

I am used to having a solid grip on the camera, so this turns the shooting process into a two-step process. First, set the AF location, and then re-grip the camera and depress the shutter release.

I wish I could use a smaller area of the touch screen.

I have the same problem. I decided to use the bottom left part of the screen for touch and drag focus. On my M5 it is easy to use the upper right part of the screen.

Anyway, bottom left seems ok. I am not sold on it, but I use the face detection in AI Servo mode most of the time, and it works very well. I rarely need to use the touch and drag focus.

The hit rate I get with large apertures is fantastic! However, if the camera focuses on the wrong face I haven’t found a simple way for it to switch between faces.

I am not shure I wish for a joystick. A joystick is fine when you have a limited amount of AF points. When you get to a point, more AF points makes it a hassle to get to where you want. I think a joystick will be slower than the touch screen on the R cameras. Let’s hope they improve the touch and drag focus in a firmware update.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SereneSpeed

CR Pro
Feb 1, 2016
I have the same problem. I decided to use the bottom left part of the screen for touch and drag focus. On my M5 it is easy to use the upper right part of the screen.

Anyway, bottom left seems ok. I am not sold on it, but I use the face detection in AI Servo mode most of the time, and it works very well. I rarely need to use the touch and drag focus.

The hit rate I get with large apertures is fantastic! However, if the camera focuses on the wrong face I haven’t found a simple way for it to switch between faces.

I am not shure I wish for a joystick. A joystick is fine when you have a limited amount of AF points. When you get to a point, more AF points makes it a hassle to get to where you want. I think a joystick will be slower than the touch screen on the R cameras. Let’s hope they improve the touch and drag focus in a firmware update.

The theory of using 'Relative' touch and drag on a quadrant of the screen was great. But 'Relative' made the AF point laggy with area limited to any quarter of the screen. At one point I switched to the full screen and 'Relative' and I found a setup that works very well for me. I also set the touch screen sensitivity to 'Sensitive'. The AF point now moves smoothly and accurately. I just need to learn some new muscle memory.

I would like a reduction in the number of AF points. I always used 41 of the 61 on my 5D4. I don't have any problem framing my intended composition a bit loose and having to direct the camera/lens at an AF point that is very close to where it needs to be. The result in the end - for me - is the same as framing and moving the AF point to the exact spot I want critical focus. But right now, the latter takes longer.

Their are a lot of ways to improve AF point selection. Canon must want to convert it's professional users and sport/wildlife/action photographers to the RF system, so I have complete confidence that they will make a very capable system in the next couple of years.

In the mean time. I love the EOS R. For professional work I'm still using it for any shot that's not mission critical. I'm just carrying two cards and swapping them often. While I use one, I backup the other and create previews to ensure nothing is corrupt. For the very important shots and the wedding I'm shooting next week, I'll mostly be using my 5D4. But with a week of EOS R ownership behind me, I adore this little camera and it's mirrorless ways... Canon has another silent winner here - I'm confident of that. This camera will sell a lot of units. Maybe not to spec sheet enthusiast. But this camera is very capable.

Upvote 0

SereneSpeed

CR Pro
Feb 1, 2016
I would be grateful for a couple minutes of someones time...

Could someone please go to the playback menu - tab 3, and set "Magnificatn (apx)" to "Actual size (from selected pt)".

Please let me know if that works. What is supposed to happen is when you press the playback button, and then the magnification button, the image is supposed to be magnified to 100% and centred on where the AF point was when the photo was taken.

What is happening is that it always goes 100% to the centre of the image. Regardless of where I AF'd from (which is the behaviour that is expected if AF was disabled).

I shoot a lot of my images at f1.4-2.0 and checking is important. It's part of my workflow and this is slowing me down. This might be an easily documented bug - if it's repeatable on multiple cameras...

Thanks in advance!

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
I would be grateful for a couple minutes of someones time...

Could someone please go to the playback menu - tab 3, and set "Magnificatn (apx)" to "Actual size (from selected pt)".

Please let me know if that works. What is supposed to happen is when you press the playback button, and then the magnification button, the image is supposed to be magnified to 100% and centred on where the AF point was when the photo was taken.

What is happening is that it always goes 100% to the centre of the image. Regardless of where I AF'd from (which is the behaviour that is expected if AF was disabled).

I shoot a lot of my images at f1.4-2.0 and checking is important. It's part of my workflow and this is slowing me down. This might be an easily documented bug - if it's repeatable on multiple cameras...

Thanks in advance!

It’s not a bug. It doesn’t work with single point, it only works when using multiple points, auto select...

I’ve used this method for a decade and was seriously dissapointed it didn’t work with single point, so what I do is double tap where I focused instead, it’s a habit already .

It’s also stated in the manual that it might not work in all focus modes.

Upvote 0

SereneSpeed

CR Pro
Feb 1, 2016
It’s not a bug. It doesn’t work with single point, it only works when using multiple points, auto select...

I’ve used this method for a decade and was seriously dissapointed it didn’t work with single point, so what I do is double tap where I focused instead, it’s a habit already .

It’s also stated in the manual that it might not work in all focus modes.

I believe it is a bug.

The manual is clear as to the proper function.

It works as I described it - in single point - on the 1DxII, 5D3 and 5D4. Its a valuable tool.

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
I believe it is a bug.

The manual is clear as to the proper function.

It works as I described it - in single point - on the 1DxII, 5D3 and 5D4. Its a valuable tool.
Of course it’s valuable, I would love to have it, but when it works in other modes, and is stated it doesn’t work with every mode, I think it’s just the way it is, kind of a big thing to miss for Canon in case of a bug...

But maybe later firmware can actually make it happen anyway...

Upvote 0

SereneSpeed

CR Pro
Feb 1, 2016
Of course it’s valuable, I would love to have it, but when it works in other modes, and is stated it doesn’t work with every mode, I think it’s just the way it is, kind of a big thing to miss for Canon in case of a bug...

But maybe later firmware can actually make it happen anyway...

Well then... I'm just going to be completely stubborn and keep calling it a bug! ;-)

That will be a hard feature to live without. I was so excited with the EVF playback. I've already got the muscle memory to review and zoom the image without moving my eye from the EVF. But, the d-pad really slows things down and in that case, you are correct, the double tap on the screen is much quicker.

I'll just be in the corner pouting...

...silly canon.

That and making the RAW files transferable to the app (like JPEGs are) while still writing to the card, would make me very happy. Not to mention if RAW files could be transfered to the app (and written to the card), the lack of a second card slot becomes an inconvenience, not a dealbreaker. It only takes 4 seconds to transfer a RAW... Canon, are you listening?

(PLEASE)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

caMARYnon

EOS R
Mar 23, 2011
Does anyone know why sometimes or quite often I can’t see the AF point, then discover it’s smashed into a corner or at the very bottom when I wake the camera up? It’s VERY annoying when something happens fast and I can’t find my AF point... happens in all modes afaik...
click the trash and it will come to center

Upvote 0

SereneSpeed

CR Pro
Feb 1, 2016
I've had that happen and just assumed I touched the screen inadvertently. The sensor that detects when your eye comes close to the EVF works too far out (in my opinion) and the touch and drag AF becomes active too soon.

I've definitely experienced what you describe. Although, I'm not 100% certain of the cause.

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
I've had that happen and just assumed I touched the screen inadvertently. The sensor that detects when your eye comes close to the EVF works too far out (in my opinion) and the touch and drag AF becomes active too soon.

I've definitely experienced what you describe. Although, I'm not 100% certain of the cause.
Fingers crossed it’s a bug.

I agree with the VF sensor, I tried to use the flip out with the screen and initially thought it was a bad connection and that the hinges caused it, because the screen blacked out every time I flipped it, but turned out I was too close to my sweater:LOL:

Upvote 0
Oct 26, 2013
Well then... I'm just going to be completely stubborn and keep calling it a bug! ;-)

That will be a hard feature to live without. I was so excited with the EVF playback. I've already got the muscle memory to review and zoom the image without moving my eye from the EVF. But, the d-pad really slows things down and in that case, you are correct, the double tap on the screen is much quicker.

I'll just be in the corner pouting...

...silly canon.

That and making the RAW files transferable to the app (like JPEGs are) while still writing to the card, would make me very happy. Not to mention if RAW files could be transfered to the app (and written to the card), the lack of a second card slot becomes an inconvenience, not a dealbreaker. It only takes 4 seconds to transfer a RAW... Canon, are you listening?

(PLEASE)

No, Canon is not listening to this site, but if you really care, please use the contact page on Canon's website. Then you will actually be contacting Canon. This site has no connection or affiliation with Canon.

Upvote 0
Jul 31, 2018
Some here seem to be rather delusional how large corporations observe, follow and try to impact and shape internet content and relevant-to-them public opinion. Even more so when it is about B2C / consumer goods. Market Research and Corp Communication Depts would be fired on the spot if they did not.

DPR and CR rumors are the most visible and prominent English-language internet portals and forums as far as Canon imaging products are concerned. products. Canon is watching them, that's for sure. And not all, but quite some of our opinions, wishes, complaints and rants will have direct influence on their product strategy and on specific (future) product's specs.

I am convinced that a few threads and postings on a specific topic have much more (potential) impact and achieve much more with companies like Canon than many 1000 direct contacts via the useless black-hole "contact us" forms on their own websites.

Brand product companies shun nothing more than highly visible, widely distributed "negative vibes" on the net / in public.

Good example is the turning direction of focus and zoom rings on 3rd party lenses. For many decades Sigma, Tamron, Tokina did just as they pleased. But soon after i launched a consequent campaign, massively critizising "wrong turning rings" in many relevant internet portals' comments / forum section with every single new lens announcement, these companies started to match turn direction to mount. They did not care to do so before, although i am sure they also received a good bit of direct feedback on the issue - but only "in private". So they simply ignored it. I called them out in public and they fairly quickly changed things for the better. Just one of my many successful "consumer rights initiatives on the net". No, i am not Russian, don't use fake news and am not responsible for Donald being POTUS ...

We have a lot of power as customers. First and foremost with our wallets / purchasing decisions. And in addition to a similar degree by publicly sharing what we think of companies' products, services, strategies and business practices. It does have enormous influence, even when it often may not immediately lead to noticeable action. Corporations can ignore it, but only at their own, considerable risk. Smart companies take it seriously, see the business opportunities in internet feedback and take adequate steps to "pacify and please" their (potential) customers.

For example: the 3 useful EF to RF adapters. Not least thanks to our "incessant whinging and whining about all the EF glass owned" on the great CR forum. Let's keep it up! :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jun 12, 2015
I have an issue with the ISO settings with my EOS R.

When using a flash in auto ISO, I am used to the camera setting the ISO to 400, and adjust the exposure with ETTL in the flash. The EOS R doesn’t. When I used it this morning, the camera chose ISO 1600 even though the flash was on. No big deal? I set the ISO to 100 using the control ring. Problem solved? No! The EOS R jumped back to Auto ISO after taking one shot (or after approximately 15 seconds).

This really bugs me. I wonder if I have to use one of the custom settings for flash use, and disable auto ISO, and set the selectable ISO range from 100-400.

Has anyone experienced this, and found another solution?

Upvote 0