Canon EF-EOS R mount adapters are going up in price

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Yes, this does seem like a calculated move by Canon to induce people to buy RF lenses instead of using their old EF lenses or buying used ones, neither of gives revenue to Canon.
I am probably not a typical customer, but in the years since the EOS R was introduced I have pretty much replaced all my EF lenses with R lenses. The only EF lenses I have left are the 100 Macro and the 8-15 fisheye. I still get Canon Price Watch notifications for the adapters, but don't need more than the two I already own.

My point? I wonder how many customers there are left that still need to get the adapters. It seems like most people who own EF glass already have adapters and most new R system customers are probably going straight into the RF system.

Upvote 0

HeavyPiper

EOS R5
CR Pro
Aug 1, 2018
Oregon
My point? I wonder how many customers there are left that still need to get the adapters. It seems like most people who own EF glass already have adapters and most new R system customers are probably going straight into the RF system.
Agree, I'm still using my EF lens with the adapter. I only have the R5 and can only use one lens at a time anyway, but now thinking of getting another adapter, but why, my next lens would be the RF type.

Upvote 0

mdcmdcmdc

EOS R7, M5, 100 (film), Sony α6400
CR Pro
Sep 4, 2020
I think a modest price increase is reasonable to "nudge" EF holdouts toward the RF system. It's been nearly five years since the original EOS R and RF lens announcement (October, 2018). The RF body and lens lineup has been pretty well filled out. The writing has been on the wall for years, with Canon and third parties discontinuing EF lenses.

Anybody who has lots of EF lenses and has already moved to an RF body probably already has at least one adapter. For those who don't, it's a $50 increase. Canon isn't discontinuing it, they're not taking legal steps to force the third parties off the market, they're not disabling it in firmware. This isn't an evil conspiracy. It's $50.

Looking at history, by the time we were this long after the original EOS/EF lens announcement in 1987, the Canon FD-EOS converter was long discontinued. And that only fit select big whites, and was only available directly from CPS. And, at that time, you had to be a nationally published pro to qualify for CPS membership. I'd say Canon enthusiasts in 2023 have it pretty good by comparison.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Johnw

EOS R8
Oct 10, 2020
Wrong direction Canon!
What is your evidence that this is the wrong business decision for Canon?

I don’t know all of the details but just based on the fact that I’ve noticed a consistent problem with keeping these adapters in stock at various stores, it seems like a price increase might be the right move to lower demand a bit and maintain a more reliable stock.

Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
Complete rip off. Already an overpriced item. I’ve the ring one and never use the ring. I’ve the adjustable filter which is useful as a rear filter 11-24mm etc. very expensive and filters for it are are overpriced. I don’t mind paying for tech but these things are simple . I think it doesn’t help people switch. It does raise the price of adapter plus EF lens closer to RF prices.

Upvote 0

ashmadux

Art Director, Visual Artist, Freelance Photography
Jul 28, 2011
New Yawk
photography.ashworld.com
I am probably not a typical customer, but in the years since the EOS R was introduced I have pretty much replaced all my EF lenses with R lenses. The only EF lenses I have left are the 100 Macro and the 8-15 fisheye. I still get Canon Price Watch notifications for the adapters, but don't need more than the two I already own.

I've always thought i should get at least one more with the ring just for future proofing. Ah well.

I would still guess there are a lot of people who dont have it and / or took advantage of falling prices to get that dslr they always wanted (and may now be in the mirrorless market). Especially for crop users, they didnt have much choice but to wait out the RF transition.

Feels like a clear shot to the ribs to those who havent bought into RF lenses yet. I haven't bought a single one and nonse are in the plans until black friday for a 24-70 deal. I hope those price increases make them go look for third party. Canon has really been showing its ass lately, hasn't it? Like they are in IDGAF mode (especially, again, with crop lenses, yuck).

My 2c

Upvote 0
In the mother land Japan, cheapest pricing is the following:
standard version is $81.20.
Control ring version is $163.59.
Drop in PLC is $245.42.
All prices including tax, often available with 8-10% points back.

New bodies however are basically same as overseas. Sometimes more.
Exchange rate makes used lenses very affordable at the moment if you changing usd to yen.

Upvote 0

mdcmdcmdc

EOS R7, M5, 100 (film), Sony α6400
CR Pro
Sep 4, 2020
Maybe some think that $50.00 is just a drop in the bucket, but others might disagree.
Everybody's finances are different. My observation has been that many--I daresay most--of the photography enthusiasts who are active on equipment forums gravitate toward high-end equipment, many with pro-level bodies and multiple "L" lenses, indicating that they are willing and able to spend the amounts needed to acquire these items. That's not a judgement, just an observation.

For people whose photo budgets are more constrained, I agree that the timing of this is unfortunate. It has only been in the last year that Canon has introduced a number of highly capable R-series bodies at more budget-friendly prices, such as the R10, R50, and R100.

There are still economical alternatives to the Canon adapters. A quick search on Amazon shows many inexpensive third party options. I would personally trust an adapter from Neewer, Viltrox, Fotodiox, and maybe Meike (I've heard good things about their grips). I have a Fotodiox EF/EF-M adapter for my M5 that works great.

The EF-RF adapter appears to be very simple, with no optics and likely very simple electrical connections. Any manufacturer with reasonable quality control should be able to make them reliably. I haven't heard a single first-hand account of an EF lens that worked with Canon's adapter but not with a good quality third party adapter.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
It depends on what you call high-end.
I see a lot of R6, R6 II, and R5 users.
Not so many R3 users.
I think most people would say that any camera that it is in the $1,500 or more range is high-end.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
It depends on what you call high-end.
I see a lot of R6, R6 II, and R5 users.
Not so many R3 users.
A number of users have second body/systems eg M and R7 for pixels-on-duck. Not so many with higher volume bodies with kit lenses for instance. Then again, those aren't normally tech or gear connoisseurs that would be on this forum. We are happy to comment on those bodies though :)

Upvote 0
Here in the UK, we have already been paying over inflated prices for the ef-rf adapter. In the US, you also get the refurbished lens options. Here inthe UK, there are no deals and it's full RRP all the way. Only places like HDEW and DigitalRev offer some cheaper variation in the market place. Canon have keep demand high in the UK (and thus prices high) by stemming availability. Any shop that actually has stock wants full price for it because they don't know if they can get a replacement from Canon for their shelves.
Canon's issue in the UK is that Meike sell an excellent range of adapters that exactly replicate the Canon three offereings for way less money. I can buy a straight adapter, a control ring adapter AND a drop in filter adpter for less that the cost of the Canon Drop in filter adapter alone . The canon version then requires me to buy a speerate clear drop in filter on top of this. Curiously, the Meike dopin VND is optically superior the the Canon variant too and offers more of a range of drop in filters too. I have the polariser, the VND and the clear filter. I also have just ordered the 10 stop ND filter to try out.
So would I buy the Canon adapter? Probably not...not unless the Meike suddenly falls apart to to poor enginnering (which I'm not seeing at the moment!).
I think the only bonus that the Canon adpater has ove rhte Meike is the weather sealing gasket.

Upvote 0