Canon EF-EOS R mount adapters are going up in price

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
We have been told that the Canon EF-EOS R mount adapters will be going up in price very soon, possibly by the first week of July. Both the standard EF-EOS R and Control Right EF-EOS R mount adapters will go up by $50 USD. If you’re in the market for one of these adapters, this

See full article...

• Angry
Reactions: 1 user

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Got three of the simple ones, and one drop-in filter variant with Canon C-PL / V-ND and Meike Black Mist 1/4 filters.

Meike has a number of other rather excentric filters on top of that.
Thanks for that tip! I've started using black mist filters for family videos, they do a great job at making the footage look a lot better without spending a second more behind the computer :)

I'm also curious what a BM filter would do when filming dragonflies with a 180L, time to plan a few more outings :)

Upvote 0
Wrong direction Canon! This should be almost free, this should be a plus to why people are coming from their DSLR to keep on Canon. In the meantime you are going to get rid of your EF lenses to get RF it is way too expensive, but if you get an E-mount camera, you can get all fast or a better set-up thirty-party lenses combination right now for less. Why is only Adorama seen it giving a free EF-RF adapter?

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
And €100 for the clear drop-in filter, which you need to use after removing the CPL/VND.
IIRC, the clear DI filter was $129 when I bought it. The DI CPL filter-only was $250 and the DI vND filter-only was $360, meaning buying the vND adapter and the separate CPL filter was the cheaper option (but only by $10).

Worth noting that you don't actually need the clear filter for the adapter. When I was investigating the Commlite mount adapter that I bought to modify for EF extender use (which was well after I bought the clear DI filter), I discovered this little $15 cover (Amazon link) that does the job, and more importantly for me saves space in the camera bag since I only need one of the DI filter canisters, not two, when bringing both the CPL and vND drop-ins. Unlike the supertele lenses that reportedly include the clear filter in the optical design and thus require something to be in the slot, the EF-RF adapter has no such need so a simple cap for the opening is fine.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
IIRC, the clear DI filter was $129 when I bought it. The DI CPL filter-only was $250 and the DI vND filter-only was $360, meaning buying the vND adapter and the separate CPL filter was the cheaper option (but only by $10).

Worth noting that you don't actually need the clear filter for the adapter. When I was investigating the Commlite mount adapter that I bought to modify for EF extender use (which was well after I bought the clear DI filter), I discovered this little $15 cover (Amazon link) that does the job, and more importantly for me saves space in the camera bag since I only need one of the DI filter canisters, not two, when bringing both the CPL and vND drop-ins. Unlike the supertele lenses that reportedly include the clear filter in the optical design and thus require something to be in the slot, the EF-RF adapter has no such need so a simple cap for the opening is fine.
There's a 0.7mm difference in adapter height, which implies there's an optical difference between the two:
Simple adapter.pngFilter adapter.png

I measured it 3 times, paying close attention to how the weather sealing rubber squishes. The callipers had solid metal-to-metal contact each time.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
There's a 0.7mm difference in adapter height, which implies there's an optical difference between the two:
View attachment 209907View attachment 209908

I measured it 3 times, paying close attention to how the weather sealing rubber squishes. The callipers had solid metal-to-metal contact each time.
Thanks!! Shows the difference between theory and practice. I have used the DI adapter several times but have never traveled with it, so I have not had occasion to use the cover. I opened the package to try them out with the TS-E 17 (that was on my to-do list before leaving on my upcoming trip), and it turns out that without the filter in place, the lens doesn't achieve correct focus.

Makes me feel better about paying the $129 for the clear drop-in, and means more to carry.

I came to the conclusion that my planned bag (Lowepro Fastpack BP 250 AW III) would be too small for use as a carryon (we're trying to minimize checked luggage pieces because we'll be renting a car during a portion of the trip and even the largest available vehicle where we're going won't fit much checked luggage, at least not when carrying 5 people). I ordered a Peak Design Travel Line 45L and a Camera Cube (two, actually – the small and medium so I can decide whether to use one bigger one or the smaller one and lens cases). I haven't used PD bags before (mostly Lowepro with a couple of Think Tank), but the design looks good so I'll give it a try.

Thanks again for pointing out the difference!

Upvote 0

angelisland

Commercial Photographer
Mar 30, 2021
CA and NY
Yes, this does seem like a calculated move by Canon to induce people to buy RF lenses instead of using their old EF lenses or buying used ones, neither of gives revenue to Canon.
I wouldn't go with the conspiracy theories.
These adapters were already sold at the higher prices...they just came down for a bit, now back up.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I wouldn't go with the conspiracy theories.
These adapters were already sold at the higher prices...they just came down for a bit, now back up.
The Canon Mount Adapter EF-EOS R launched in October 2018 at $99. Since then, it’s been…$99.

IMG_8245.jpeg

The control ring version launched at $199, and dropped to $149 earlier this year, a $50 increase just returns it to the ‘normal’ price. But a 50% price increase on the cheapest version is a significant increase. We can speculate on the rationale for that increase, but the price increase relative to the past cost is fact, not theory. Also, who (besides you) said anything about conspiracy theories? My point was that this is a business decision.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
[...] I ordered a Peak Design Travel Line 45L and a Camera Cube (two, actually – the small and medium so I can decide whether to use one bigger one or the smaller one and lens cases). I haven't used PD bags before (mostly Lowepro with a couple of Think Tank), but the design looks good so I'll give it a try.[...]
If you're happy with the PD travel line, have a look at their travel cubes for future trips. We're slowly getting more packing cubes now that the kids don't require diaper infrastructure anymore. And check if it comes with the hip extension, if you're used to hip support.

The rotator way of fixing the straps isn't for everyone, I rate them "OK, not great", but other people have a more polarized opinion on them :)

Upvote 0