Canon EF-EOS R mount adapters are going up in price

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Here in the UK, we have already been paying over inflated prices for the ef-rf adapter. In the US, you also get the refurbished lens options. Here inthe UK, there are no deals and it's full RRP all the way. Only places like HDEW and DigitalRev offer some cheaper variation in the market place. Canon have keep demand high in the UK (and thus prices high) by stemming availability. Any shop that actually has stock wants full price for it because they don't know if they can get a replacement from Canon for their shelves.
Canon's issue in the UK is that Meike sell an excellent range of adapters that exactly replicate the Canon three offereings for way less money. I can buy a straight adapter, a control ring adapter AND a drop in filter adpter for less that the cost of the Canon Drop in filter adapter alone . The canon version then requires me to buy a speerate clear drop in filter on top of this. Curiously, the Meike dopin VND is optically superior the the Canon variant too and offers more of a range of drop in filters too. I have the polariser, the VND and the clear filter. I also have just ordered the 10 stop ND filter to try out.
So would I buy the Canon adapter? Probably not...not unless the Meike suddenly falls apart to to poor enginnering (which I'm not seeing at the moment!).
I think the only bonus that the Canon adpater has ove rhte Meike is the weather sealing gasket.
Panamoz, as entoman has talked about a lot, is another reliable source for grey market. The only good thing here is that I have got good prices offloading EF-R adapters that get bundled with the bodies. :)

Upvote 0
Canon probably noticed Nikon was getting $250 for their plain Jane F to Z adapter and got jealous. Or maybe they saw Sigma getting around $250 and Metabones nearly $400 to adapt Canon EF to Sony E-mount. (But they are starting to see some much less expensive competition.)
Last time I looked, the Canon VND drop-in adapter with separately sold clear drop-in filter would set you back about $560. Or the Meike VND drop-in adapter that includes the clear drop-in costs $160. Besides the massive price difference, reviewers who tested both report the Meike VND works better than the Canon VND (less color tints). Not to mention, Meike offers a bunch of other drop-in filters Canon doesn't.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
Canon probably noticed Nikon was getting $250 for their plain Jane F to Z adapter and got jealous. Or maybe they saw Sigma getting around $250 and Metabones nearly $400 to adapt Canon EF to Sony E-mount. (But they are starting to see some much less expensive competition.)
Last time I looked, the Canon VND drop-in adapter with separately sold clear drop-in filter would set you back about $560. Or the Meike VND drop-in adapter that includes the clear drop-in costs $160. Besides the massive price difference, reviewers who tested both report the Meike VND works better than the Canon VND (less color tints). Not to mention, Meike offers a bunch of other drop-in filters Canon doesn't.
The Meike filters work in the Canon adapter.
The only real issue that I have is that Canon does not sell the adapter at a lower price without any filters.
Kolari Vision and Breakthrough also have a bunch of filters.

Upvote 0