How can we improve on 5D3 to 5D4?

tomscott

Photographer & Graphic Designer
Although it is currently Canons largest MP camera I don't think it was always meant to be. The 5D has always been the event/photo journos camera aka the main commercial area of photography. Therefore I highly doubt they will add a 50+mp sensor.

Saying they should add a 50+mp sensor for the landscapers, ye fine but landscape photography is a niche, you might enjoy it but very few make money from it. Anyone who is shooting billboard size advertising etc won't even look at FF it is MF all day long.

The high MP sector was always the 1DS but canon maybe doesn't see the need for a large mp count sensor camera otherwise one would be out now, or they are really struggling with sensor tech. The two main sectors as said are event (including sport) and journo and Canon already fills these sectors with the 1DX and 5DMKIII.

Upvote 0
my list:
=====

- better DR or higher resolution (i'd vote better DR though in RAW and NOT JPEG ::) )

- fast SD slot

- some better ergonomics like assigning autoISO to a button, or even when the SET button when is assigned to adjust the ISO value by holding it and rotate the front dial, in the current condition/firmware it doesn't go to the autoISO, and you have to set it manually each time from the ISO button.

- PLEASE please! assign a button to custom WB, rather than taking an image, set the wb to custom, load the image.. DAMN! one click thats it! RATE and magnify buttons are useless assign one of them at least!
who uses RATE and JPEGs in such a beasty camera anyway..

- Restore magnification buttons in live view like its been in mark II or any other model. (hard to find the magnification button in the night which is in the other side of the camera)

well actually most of my requests can be done with a firmware upgrade :D

in two words?, more button customization
but an upgraded sensor with higher DR is a must for 5D IV

Upvote 0

davidcl0nel

Canon R5, 17 TSE, RF35+85 IS, RF70-200 4 IS, EF135
Jan 11, 2014
Berlin
www.flickr.com
- Builtin WLAN, not for pic dump, for remote controling with a phone. DSLRController is nice.
- Builtin Magic Lantern Features, a lot of it... ;) Intervalometer with Ramping, Fokus Peaking, RawVideo, DualIso, ...
- Two or more additional custom buttons.
- CF and SD card is nice (you always have one of them), but SD should be capable of the highest transfer rate
- Microprism/Split Focussing Screen from Canon, no custom-made-vendors
- Transparent LCD in view finder, not only ruler/lines and the current settings - I want additional a live histogram. The light goes trough the mirror to the AF sensor. There is also place for a wide splitted 40 x 30 pixel sensor (every pixel separately), which gives the current picture in lowest resolution, but it should be enough to display a histogram...
- A little bit more dynamic range for shadow recovery would be nice
- ISO performance and megapixels are enough, maybe a easy to handle panorama mode, which helps to create a multiline-panorama - this technique give a lot more details than a 36/48/whatever megapixel sensor...

Upvote 0
May 30, 2013
123Photog said:
Iron Man said:
Orangutan said:
You're asking Canon to make you a custom camera, and to change the 5D market position. Unless you have many millions to throw at Canon, that ain't gonna happen.

No I'm not - the original 5D did not have video functionality, so I would like to go back to that. People who want high quality video has the 1D C available (and that already supports 4K shooting).

or Canon could make it film camera and include a drum scanner....

+1

nice…i'd buy it

Upvote 0

Khalai

In the absence of light, darknoise prevails...
May 13, 2014
Prague
3kramd5 said:
Quest for Light said:
for years canon has not done much (nothing) for the studio/landscape shooter. :(

TS-E 17mm
Or TS-E 24mm, or recently 16-35/4L, or lightweight 6D, ideal for travelling and treking, or sharp primes such as 24/2.8 IS USM for very light travelling... :) If you really find Canon so much hindering your performance, go for Nikon, go for medium format, go for whatever makes you happy...

Upvote 0

lintoni

Good grief!
Mar 18, 2012
3kramd5 said:
Quest for Light said:
for years canon has not done much (nothing) for the studio/landscape shooter. :(

TS-E 17mm

Iron Man said:
5. GET RID OF VIDEO FUNCTIONS, that's the domain of video recorders.

Why? As long as they don't hinder stills functions, what's the big deal? Just don't toggle the switch.
I accidentally did just that, yesterday. Thought I'd somehow broken the camera and it was stuck in Live View. :D First time it's been in video mode since I bought it... ;)

Upvote 0
lo lite said:
I also hope for 4K but I doubt it will come, because the Nikons don't have it and because I think, the CF card interface is to slow for a decent quality.

CF cards can handle 1080p RAW so I'd think they should be able to handle a pretty decent quality 4k compressed. RAW is an utter bandwidth pig, it's gotta be more than 4x worse than moderately compressed 4k I'd think.

Upvote 0
tculotta said:
Quoting lo lite: "When do you really need such a resolution? Maybe as a landscape photographer this would be nice to have. But that's a niche. Please don't sacrifice a good all-round camera for this!"

Niche? I would venture that a fairly high percentage of users of a 5D Mk. IV shoot enough scenics and landscapes to relish the idea of ~36 MP. However, a split or divergence in the Canon line to support landscape/ high MP users vs. the crowd you advocate for may not be out of line.

More MP also help sports and wildlife shooters since you get more reach, so it helps more than just the ultra-detailed landscape shooters.

(of course it also makes it tougher to get full sensor reads for video and to keep speed up)

Upvote 0
The main thing I'm looking for is Dynamic Range that can match the DR in Nikon's D810. I would also like to have autofocus track a moving subject in a frame without me having to use the joystick (Nikon can do this as well). I don't really need a bump in megapixels, but I'm sure we'll get that anyways. I wouldn't mind an ISO improvement like that found on the Sony A7S. Also, if they could figure out away to keep the body as solid and robust as the Mark III, while having it weigh substantially less, I'd be on board with that as well.

Upvote 0
-increased iso100 dynamic range
-wifi to perform remote monitoring and shooting. also tethered shooting
-articulating screen to ease low/high-angle shooting
-lower noise in high ISO
-high native flash sync speed like 1/500 or 1/1000 to overpower the sun :)
-real HDR jpg output like an iphone
-face detection AF in viewfinder. Exposure/Ettl based on face alone
-touch screen LCD and dual pixel sensor for easy focus racking from one subject to the next.
-built-in sensor IS (don't think canon marketing guys would allow this!)

Upvote 0
My 2. Not very scientific or technical or marketing oriented.

Canon will do a modest upgrade with the 5D4. They will not try to have the 5D4 compete with the Nikon D8xx series, there's no need to. They will reserve the big MP body for another model. Canon will sell far more 5D4's than Nikon will sell D8xx's. Like the 7D2, refine what they have operationally and with a modest bump in MP's. That's all they need.

I've shot with the 5D2/3, C300 and C500...... There's a reason why there's a sea of white lenses at sporting events and there's a reason why the 5D series and C300/C500 cameras are requested on shoots by DP's....... it's the look.

Canons have the look and the Nikon's do not. Sometimes it is not all about mega megapixels and matching spec for spec. There is a visual quality that Canon has. I don't know if it's the way Canon imagers process the information vs Sony/Nikon imagers. But in the end it's all about the look.

DP's love the look of Canons and Canon glass. It's that simple.

Upvote 0
-carbon fiber or Ti body. hell my inexpensive tennis racket from Walmart is made from a Ti carbon weave. it cost like $30-40 weights nothing, is super tough. really, get it done canon.
-better DR (cause, i don't know if you guys have heard, but it sucks to the point of making the camera a paperweight)
-red Af confirmation"squares" in the viewfinder
-a battery that can give it that 1D speed, even if shooting rate stays at whatever it is. 6.5 or something. i never know what to do with that .5 a frame anyway actually so you could just make it 6 fps.
make the second card slot, whatever it is just as fast as the main, you know, so i could actually use it for backing up my RAW files as i work. i mean, jpg back ups are better than nothing, but really?
- eye control AF, or at the very least make the af points cover the areas around the 1/3rds marks. the center is good to, sometimes it is like i'm having target practice at the range, but most of the time, i don't put the "target" in the center of the frame.
-i'm out

Upvote 0