How do you print your photos for those who still do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I realize a lot of people don't print as much as before, but when you do how do you do it? Do you print at home or you go to the store? I used the printer at the pharmacy stores and i got so mad looking at the quality. I dont need magazine quality but I don't need garbage either. I am thinking about canon pixma pro printer but then I'm worried I'm not going to be using it enough to justify the cost. Please share your experience. I'm especially interested to know if there's any online services that can produce decent prints at okay price. Thx in advance.

Pro lab preferably, but that said I just I did just get one yesterday just from a consumer lab in a shopping centre just for fun. It's an acceptable print actually all things considered.

There's a pro lab not far from me I've used periodically for years dating back to film days. Damn good lab called bond colour here.

Upvote 0
I gave up on the idea of home printing a couple of years ago, simply because of cost and, in many respects, it's a whole world unto itself :) My little 'ol brain has enough time absorbing details about taking digital pic's as it is.

However, I do use a high end Epson A4 sized printer for proofing some of the prints before I take/send them to a pro lab for printing. I've found the cost and results to be very acceptable.

Danielle said:
There's a pro lab not far from me I've used periodically for years dating back to film days. Damn good lab called bond colour here.
I take it, it's the one in Richmond. If so, I used to use them back in my film days. A good lab, not many around now.

Upvote 0
I use an Epson R3000. This allows me to make 13" x 19" high quality prints. For large prints, using the Epson printer is less expensive than using a "lab." Also, most "labs" only print from jpeg. If I want to hang something on my wall or sell it, I want to print from tiff in a pro photo colorspace. These prints can be breath taking.

Upvote 0

eml58

1Dx
Aug 26, 2012
Singapore
privatebydesign said:
I print myself for the fun and enjoyment of it, I had a darkroom for years and this is so much more fun and productive, I am a working pro and very little of my pro output is printed, but my fun stuff is my hobby.

I have an Epson 4900 at home, it cost $1,250 dollars new from B&H one time when they had a crazy promotion going on. Printing costs me around $2.00 per linear foot on 16" roll paper.

Whilst the magic and allure of seeing a wet print develop before your eyes in a tray might be a little more satisfying, there is no doubt that watching the ink get laid down through the clear plastic window does evoke the same emotions, I still create photographs.

Hi quality inkjet printers are very cheap, they make their money on the ink, look around and see what is popular and give it a go, they are often very reduced in "bundles" with a camera or lens too. If it doesn't work out you haven't thrown away too much money, but if it does work out you might find an amazing outlet for your photographs.

Agreed completely, for me an integral part of Photography IS the Print, why do it if you don't exhibit ?? I'm not a Pro, I'm retired and would class myself as a "Keen Amateur", maybe, excessively Keen, but I absolutely Love to Print for myself, Family, Friends, the Guy next door, I own the Epson 4900 for my "Standard" 17x22 and purchased the Epson 9900 6 months ago as people were always asking for Bigger prints, now I still use the 4900 90% of the time but the 9900 allows me to print up to 44" wide (Bought the Proofing Edition). I used to Print with Canon Printers some years back, but glad I changed to Epson, much better output I feel.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
CTJohn said:

+1.

I tried Adorama Pix once. Side by side comparison with MPIX and MPIX color rendition was clearly superior. After that experience I haven't tried any other printer, although I'm sure there are other good ones out there.

Besides the super-fast service, what I particularly like about MPIX is that they seem to know exactly what I have in mind when they calibrate the color. Not sure how else to explain it, but if I apply an effect, they print it just the way I see it onscreen. With shots without any special effect, they do an excellent job. Their "true black and white" prints are beautiful.

The cost to have them print an image is less than what it would cost me in paper and ink, not even considering the cost of the printer itself.

Upvote 0

RGF

How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
Jul 13, 2012
I have an Epson 4880 (got a really good price several years ago, after selling my old 13" Epson to a friend and giving him a good price) the 4880 only cost around $800!

I love printing my own work - picking the paper, getting vision to come alive. I believe Ansel Adams said something to the effect "the negative is the score, the print is the symphony".

I started out with Cibachrome in grad school (many years ago) and was about to get a wet darkroom when I got married and bought a house. However I did not like the idea of chemicals and when digital printing came along, ... the rest is history.

In the end, the capture is only the start of the image making process - the print completes it.

Upvote 0
I normally print at one of the warehouse clubs for anything smaller than an 8 x 10. I used to work at a photo center and we would often have professionals use us for their prints. The quality is very good as long as you use a calibrated monitor for your corrections. You should also know that photo labs often have their image correction turned on by default and if there is not an option online or at the store to turn it off, you can call ahead to ask them to turn it off for your order. Most of them will not have a problem working with you. That being said I did recently print a 16 x 20 family photo using bayphotos competition print and it is amazing. I love to look at it. I had it framed using museum glass that really helps eliminate reflections and you can barely tell it is there. I really enjoy prints but do not print nearly enough.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
privatebydesign said:
The cost to have them print an image is less than what it would cost me in paper and ink, not even considering the cost of the printer itself.

That was true in the days of darkrooms too, so what? I am no puritan but for a group of people who are keen on photography I am amazed, though truthfully not surprised, by how few of you actually print your own images.

All these heated arguments about gear, how sharp lenses are, the colours and rendition, megapixels, dynamic range etc etc, it all pales to insignificance if you don't print your own images.

Why do you insist on taking things out of context and then insulting people?

Printing today is far different today than in the darkroom days – of which I have plenty of experience. Today, most of the work that I used to do in the darkroom is done on the computer in RAW and Photoshop, using other programs when needed. I spend quite a bit of time getting the look I want and I take great pains to get it right.

But, I know the value of paying a professional to handle the mechanical aspects that I have no desire to do myself.

Even in the film days, professionals sent their color work to labs. When I worked as a newspaper photographer I did my own four-color separations for print. But, for exhibition and contest quality work I used a lab. Hell, even Cartier-Bresson had someone else print his pictures. And, news flash, so did Ansel Adams (whom so many people here treat like a God). I know because he hired my college photography professor to print for him.

It's one thing to send your images off to the corner drug store, it's quite another to use a professional lab that knows how to extract the best prints from your digital negatives.

I you want to disagree with people, that's fine. That's what this forum is for. But don't take statements out of context and distort what people are saying.

Upvote 0

Krob78

When in Doubt, Press the Shutter...
Aug 8, 2012
The Florida Peninsula
distant.star said:
I sold my printer for that reason -- wasn't printing enough to justify the crippling cost of ink.

Bay Photo (used by SmugMug) has been my go to pro for years now. I understand Adorama does a good job too.
+1 for Bay Photo. I'm always very happy with there work and there turn around time is great!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.