How do you sell your gear?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all.

New to the forum, but I've been a long time visitor to the site. I'm sorry if this has been discussed before, but I'm having a tough time selling some gear. I'm trying to sell my canon ef-s 17-55. I've had it up on Craigslist for a few weeks with about 1 or 2 interested in buying that have backed out of at the last minute. I really don't want to put it on ebay to avoid fees.

I was just curious if anyone knew of any other outlets to sell used gear.

Thanks for any suggestions.

The FredMiranda buy/sell forums are pretty awesome, a lot of very active users. There is a small fee to be able to upload and sell, but I've purchased a bit of gear there, no bad experiences.

If you want to stick with Craigslist, try taking really awesome pictures of the gear and insist on dealing with people over the phone instead of email. That usually get's rid of anyone who isn't serious about buying.

Upvote 0
I've sold all my gear on Craigslist and had great results so far. Usually I get a good quantity of replies, some serious, some not just lowballing. I posted my Canon 50D and within 5 minutes got a call from a guy who wanted to meet up and purchase it. I was at work but had him meet me at a local Starbucks, sold the camera and was back with a pocket full of cash all during my work break! I am not sure where you are located. I'm located in Los Angeles. Location likely does play a part in the supply and demand, not only in buying but in selling. Ebay isn't all too bad sometimes for convenience/less hassle.

Good luck! :)

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I use CL exclusively. You need to decide what you're willing to take. Personally, I only buy for 70% or less of the current new item price. I've had good luck selling at 75-80% of new. Include good pics in your ad, product -type pics ('seamless' white background, a piece of paper works just crop tight). Ask for a phone number in the reply.

Upvote 0
A tip: When selling your gear through CL or any other such source, choose to meet somewhere public. I personally choose Starbucks and insist they come in to meet once they arrive because there is security video feed for authorities in case someone chooses to do something crazy like make a run for it once they've inspected your gear. You have to be covered when you're selling a body or an L lens etc.

Upvote 0
Tammy said:
A tip: When selling your gear through CL or any other such source, choose to meet somewhere public. I personally choose Starbucks and insist they come in to meet once they arrive because there is security video feed for authorities in case someone chooses to do something crazy like make a run for it once they've inspected your gear. You have to be covered when you're selling a body or an L lens etc.

Good advice. Craigslist is full of bargain hunters (like me :). I've done well buying and selling on craigslist, but some things take longer than others. Unless you're dumping, you may need to wait a month or more (assuming you are in or close to a major metro area - rural could be even harder and force you to a national market). Took me almost 2 months to get someone who actually followed through to sell a 50mm 1.4.

Agreed on a phone number... also gives you a little more of a "solid contact" in case someone is trying to scam you. There are some things I only post a phone number for, no email - definitely filters out the tire kickers.

Upvote 0
Oct 18, 2011
zwilliamson said:
The FredMiranda buy/sell forums are pretty awesome, a lot of very active users. There is a small fee to be able to upload and sell, but I've purchased a bit of gear there, no bad experiences.

If you want to stick with Craigslist, try taking really awesome pictures of the gear and insist on dealing with people over the phone instead of email. That usually get's rid of anyone who isn't serious about buying.
Yep, I've done both. Personally I prefer buying my gear of FredMiranda (I think every lens I own was bought there) because I generally trust other photographers to rate their gear accurately.

For selling, I've done both, but I've gotten faster turnaround on CL. But, that's what being near a big city (DC) will do for you. If I was more rural, I'd probably have to rely on Ebay or FM.

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
I use CL exclusively. You need to decide what you're willing to take. Personally, I only buy for 70% or less of the current new item price. I've had good luck selling at 75-80% of new. Include good pics in your ad, product -type pics ('seamless' white background, a piece of paper works just crop tight). Ask for a phone number in the reply.

LOL. Now I know why I feel the resell value of my gears were so bad.

Upvote 0

MARKOE PHOTOE

Photography is a love affair with life.

I use the same method as Neuro above: CL all the way. Ebay works if you're patient and don't mind shipping, paying Ebay fee and Paypal fees...and maybe getting less for your items.
Craigslist has its inherited security concerns with selling expensive items:
I use these guidelines for CL:
1. Never bring a buyer to your home. Meet at a local busy business like Starbucks, etc.
2. Never ship any item and expect to get paid.
3. Talk to the buyer on the phone before you meet.
4. Be honest about the condition of your item.
5. Be realistic about what your fair price is and what the market will bare.
6. Cash only or trade, never a check, cashiers check or money order.
7. Bring a friend if possible to witness the transaction.

Good luck.

Upvote 0
bykes said:
Hello all.

New to the forum, but I've been a long time visitor to the site. I'm sorry if this has been discussed before, but I'm having a tough time selling some gear. I'm trying to sell my canon ef-s 17-55. I've had it up on Craigslist for a few weeks with about 1 or 2 interested in buying that have backed out of at the last minute. I really don't want to put it on ebay to avoid fees.

I sold my 17-55 a couple months ago on Ebay and netted about 750. The fees may be higher, but the market is a lot bigger too.

Upvote 0
bykes said:
Hello all.

If you have no luck with Craigslist, go to this forum site: http://photography-on-the.net/forum/. Just read the forum rules, and get yourself established - no fees or charges.
I would say 90-95% of the members are canon users (from amateurs to pros), so you should be able to sell you lens quick as long as you price it fairly. Payment wise, you'll have to set up a paypal account.

I mostly sell on this website, if not CL.

Upvote 0
Oct 18, 2011
Random Orbits said:
I sold my 17-55 a couple months ago on Ebay and netted about 750. The fees may be higher, but the market is a lot bigger too.
Yeah, the beauty of Ebay is you tend to get the highest selling price...but, the fees cut into that. That's why its down the list for me unless I need to move something quickly.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
I usually end up selling on ebay, but sold my 5D Mark II on Craigslist a couple of days back.
A tip for selling on ebay ... Set a fair price, have awsome photos and a description that shows you know the lens.
Then, sell for a fixed price. The fees are much lower. I am normally able to sell for enough extra on ebay to cover their fees and then some. If you follow the Paypal Rules, you are covered from scammers.
Fred Miranda sellers typically get a lot less than ebay sellers, and end up paying the Paypal fees. There is no protection from scammers, so its the riskiest way to sell.

Upvote 0

bp

Jun 1, 2011
JPL_1020 said:

I'll second this. Have bought and sold a LOT of gear there, with great success. I just sold my 100-400 yesterday, for the same price I paid for it (listing was up for less than a day). While back, I sold a 50L (again, for the same price I'd paid about a month earlier), in 22 minutes.

When you're brand new to the forum marketplace, people can be a bit wary of you. Once you've built up some feedback, it's no longer an issue. Also, on the buying side, it's very important to check their feedback - I've never been ripped off, but every now and then of course, you hear stories

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.