How many years before we see a 50L II

It's a tough world out there for lovers of the 50mm focal length. There is a new Sigma 50 Art, but it has outer-edge focus problems, is somehow too contrasty for some, and for videographers, there are focus breathing issues. On top of that, it's supposedly a bit heavy for a prime.

On the other hand, the well known Canon 50L isn't as sharp as some would hope wide open and also has focus breathing problems. On top if that, it's slow to focus, despite having USM.

So the question is... When will Canon respond to the Sigma 50 Art with an update to the 50L?

I would be thrilled if the updated lens was quick to focus, tack sharp wide open, and rendered colors the same way it does on the current 50L.

Of course it's all speculation at this point, but it doesn't hurt to pose the question.

Thoughts?

drmikeinpdx

Celebrating 20 years of model photography!
I could certainly use a replacement for my Sigma 50 Classic, which is known for it's Timeless Rendering. Unfortunately none of the other alternatives looks very attractive. It is indeed a dark time for lovers of 50mm primes.

I am actually waiting for Canon to bring out a stabilized 50 of modest aperture to expand their line that includes the well-reviewed 35mm F/2 IS.

Upvote 0
ryebread said:
many years.
there is nothing wrong with the 50L.

it's a people lens. it's plenty sharp.
it's f/1.2 - so if you're not nailing focus, you need to work on your technique.
+1 and you might want to visit the many "where is the 35L II" threads for some perspective on long waits...

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Canon seems to be focusing on video lenses. They generally do not need wide apertures, but do need silent AF motors and IS. I suspect that the only reason for a upgrade would be bragging rights, certainly sales volumes will not pay for the 10's of millions of dollars to design, tool, build, stock, and advertise a replacement. DSLR and lens sales are sharply down, so that means that Canon will only invest where they see a big profit, ... or for bragging rights.

Upvote 0
Fatfaso said:
It's a tough world out there for lovers of the 50mm focal length. There is a new Sigma 50 Art, but it has outer-edge focus problems, is somehow too contrasty for some, and for videographers, there are focus breathing issues. On top of that, it's supposedly a bit heavy for a prime.

On the other hand, the well known Canon 50L isn't as sharp as some would hope wide open and also has focus breathing problems. On top if that, it's slow to focus, despite having USM.

So the question is... When will Canon respond to the Sigma 50 Art with an update to the 50L?

I would be thrilled if the updated lens was quick to focus, tack sharp wide open, and rendered colors the same way it does on the current 50L.

Of course it's all speculation at this point, but it doesn't hurt to pose the question.

Thoughts?

Hopefully right after 14-24 release ;) :p

Upvote 0
3-5 years. The Otus was the first with a non-gaussian design. Is there any indication that Canon has been working on a similar design 1-2 years ago? If there were working on another modified guassian design, then it will not do well against the Otus or Sigma A, and they might as well start from square one. And if it's new product development, then will take years...

Upvote 0
Axilrod said:
ryebread said:
many years.

it's f/1.2 - so if you're not nailing focus, you need to work on your technique.

Can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not...

Exactly. It's not the f/1.2 aperture that causes the focus problems on this particular lens. It's actually the field of curvature and is especially prominent at close distances from about f/2.8 to f/4.5. The lens will back-focus and there is pretty much nothing you can do about it. I thought it was pretty underwhelming for $1699.

Upvote 0
May 31, 2011
bdunbar79 said:
Axilrod said:
ryebread said:
many years.

Exactly. It's not the f/1.2 aperture that causes the focus problems on this particular lens. It's actually the field of curvature and is especially prominent at close distances from about f/2.8 to f/4.5. The lens will back-focus and there is pretty much nothing you can do about it. I thought it was pretty underwhelming for $1699.

You could manually focus... but I think the presumption is that those who struggle with f1.2 are using bad technique, like focus and recompose... which will all but guarantee the subject is out of focus.

Upvote 0
You could manually focus... but I think the presumption is that those who struggle with f1.2 are using bad technique, like focus and recompose... which will all but guarantee the subject is out of focus.

I focus and recompose all the time…Even with the 5DM3. No issues here with the 50L nailing focus at f/1.2. But then again there are different ways to "focus and recompose."

Upvote 0
jdramirez said:
bdunbar79 said:
Axilrod said:
ryebread said:
many years.

Manual focus (even with the super precision matte screen) is almost impossible with the 50L at f/1.2 just like f/1.4 with the 24L, but things get a little easier with the 85L and 135L because of the focal length.

The 50L is the ultimate love/hate lens for Canon shooters, I think, and to me, it's part of why it's so satisfying to use. If you nail a photo with it at f/1.2 it feels like an achievement instead of a gee I pressed the shutter moment. On the other hand, many people have tried the lens and hate it. I see it as a very specialized tool for unique looking portraits, but similar results can be achieved with other lenses.

Upvote 0
mackguyver said:
jdramirez said:
bdunbar79 said:
Axilrod said:
ryebread said:
many years.

Manual focus (even with the super precision matte screen) is almost impossible with the 50L at f/1.2 just like f/1.4 with the 24L, but things get a little easier with the 85L and 135L because of the focal length.

The 50L is the ultimate love/hate lens for Canon shooters, I think, and to me, it's part of why it's so satisfying to use. If you nail a photo with it at f/1.2 it feels like an achievement instead of a gee I pressed the shutter moment. On the other hand, many people have tried the lens and hate it. I see it as a very specialized tool for unique looking portraits, but similar results can be achieved with other lenses.

The part about loving it because good focus is rare and hard to achieve is a masterpiece in spin doctoring. :)

Upvote 0