How to clean lenses ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lastcoyote

5D Mark III
Sep 19, 2012
Brighton, England
arcanej said:
Rocket Blower + Lenspen are an awesome combo. I use the blower to remove dust, the brush on the pen to get anything else off and the pens' carbon dust to clean the lens.

exactly what i do. it's the best solution in my mind.
i have the kit of three lenspens. normal lens one, filter one and small viewfinder one.
vital to use rocket blower first to avoid rubbing small damaging particles of stuff around with the lens pen. as long as you make sure you do this the lenspens are perfect.

Upvote 0
The best thing to do is to avoid needing to clean them. Make sure you never touch the glass on either end of the lens. Use a lens hood to prevent contact on the front element.

Use a blower to remove dust. Don't wipe the lens with any cloths or fluids unless you have to.

I don't baby my lenses, but it's extremely rare that I need to do anything other that blow dust off.

And avoid shooting in places with lots of cigarette smoke or similar stuff if you can help it.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Normally I end up cleaning my lenses in the field and I have found the best and most cost effective solution is as follows.

First of all blow fiercly on the glass to remove larger particles, then take a deep breath and breath on the glass, make sure it looks nice and foggy. Shake your t-shirt to ensure it is free from sand and dirt, think about using a sleeve if too dirty. Make small circular motions over the glass; repeat for persistant marks.

Upvote 0
Salah Yousef said:
Still no one answered my question lol. Is it safe to clean the lens and LCD screen with alcohol wipe ?

alcohol should be used sparingly. On glass it should be fine, although I am not sure how the coatings react over long term use. On plastic, alcohol can leach things or alter the plastic, depending on the plastic. Perspex becomes turbid after long term use. Given that one does not know how the plastic of the lens or the body reacts, it's probably better to avoid it. Also, the LCD screen, I am not sure if that is actually glass or plastic.
I have a screen protector on my LCD, so just wipe it with a cloth (and some breath) if necessary.
For the lens elements, first rocket blower to remove dust as much as possible. You don't want to wipe the lens when scratchy dust particles are on it. A brush can help release particles. Only then I use microfiber cloth or clean cotton cloth to wipe, again with some breath if necessary. If there are some persistent grease spots, only then some lens cleaning fluid.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.