I got defeated :(

May 15, 2014
Don Haines said:
It is very possible to buy your Canon camera, yet at the same time to wish that it had other features and different specs. The two are not mutually exclusive.

For example, I go a 6D2..... I wish it was better, I wish it had a bit more dynamic range, I really wish that they could come up with a good WiFi application for remote control, yet at the same time I can confidently state that it was the best camera out there for my requirements.

Have you tried bluetooth yet? I've never used a smartphone wifi camera app that I've liked yet. I was hopeful maybe using bluetooth would give a quicker connection, better experience. I just haven't gotten around to trying it yet and am genuinely curious if the experience was any better.

Upvote 0

ethanz

1DX II
CR Pro
Apr 12, 2016
ethanzentz.com
neuroanatomist said:
ahsanford said:
I cannot wait for folks to be shocked and devastated when yet another year goes by and the EXIF data of WPP awards shows that the best pics continue to be taken on antiquated sensors with modestly-spec'd bodies.

Oh, Sony...where art thou?

Why should we trust WPP as our source of a good camera? I bet Canon pays off the committee and all the photographers to use their gear. Sony cameras are too nice to be used by PJs anyways. ::) ;)

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
Luds34 said:
Don Haines said:
It is very possible to buy your Canon camera, yet at the same time to wish that it had other features and different specs. The two are not mutually exclusive.

For example, I go a 6D2..... I wish it was better, I wish it had a bit more dynamic range, I really wish that they could come up with a good WiFi application for remote control, yet at the same time I can confidently state that it was the best camera out there for my requirements.

Have you tried bluetooth yet? I've never used a smartphone wifi camera app that I've liked yet. I was hopeful maybe using bluetooth would give a quicker connection, better experience. I just haven't gotten around to trying it yet and am genuinely curious if the experience was any better.
I tried it and all it seemed to do was add in an extra step to connecting over WiFi.... I probably did it wrong :). I should give it a try again to see what happens when my home WiFi is off.

Upvote 0
CanonGuy said:
.I shoot over 25 weddings each year and a single wedding pays me more than that. So yah I think I can afford to spend on things which I'm not a fan of.

With that kind of money I say use the money from three or four weddings and you can replace all your gear with gear that makes you happy.

The new equipment would not limit the dynamic range of your work as much and you would probably get more jobs.

Upvote 0
takesome1 said:
CanonGuy said:
.I shoot over 25 weddings each year and a single wedding pays me more than that. So yah I think I can afford to spend on things which I'm not a fan of.

With that kind of money I say use the money from three or four weddings and you can replace all your gear with gear that makes you happy.

The new equipment would not limit the dynamic range of your work as much and you would probably get more jobs.
You're right of course ... every bride's first question (or her mother's, at least) ... "How much DR have you got?"

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
Mikehit said:
BasXcanon said:
+The feature: lens drive when AF impossible was set ON by default, which mades my older Canon EF lenses 28-85mm and 400mm F5.6 failed focus too much. Should have been OFF by default in my oppinion.

If preferring not having to change a menu preset counts as a 'failing' then I'd say Canon has got it pretty much spot on.
A crazier one for me is always shipping cameras with 'shoot with out card' set to 'yes'.
+1 I change both of these settings as soon as I get a new Canon DSLR.

Upvote 0
unfocused said:
CanonGuy said:
unfocused said:
tomscott said:
Jesus... what a first world problem to have...

Pull yourself together.

+1.

I don't know which is more ridiculous. That someone would spend $3,000 on a camera they don't want, or that they would be so self-absorbed that they feel compelled to post about it on a forum and expect sympathy.

I DO NOT NEED SYMPATHY FROM CANON FANS LIKE YOU...
And you aren't getting any. So I guess we are all happy.

CanonGuy said:
...I am here to share my opinion in the hope that someone from Canon will see how their customers feel and will try to improve their product...

If that's why you are here, you are sadly mistaken about how forums work. As others have pointed out, if you want to communicate with Canon why not do it directly? If you are such a successful photographer, surely you must be a Platinum CPS member. Have you tried to contact them?

CanonGuy said:
...And can you be a civilized person and not call someone 'self-absorbed' in a forum just because there is a difference of opinion?

You are not self-absorbed because we have a difference of opinion. You are self-absorbed because you think your opinion is so important that you started a thread to whine and because, as Tom Scott said, it's pretty much the epitome of a first world problem.

CanonGuy said:
...3k is nothing to me. I shoot over 25 weddings each year and a single wedding pays me more than that. So yah I think I can afford to spend on things which I'm not a fan of.

I actually was feeling a little bad saying you seemed self-absorbed. But then, reading the above comment pretty much killed any empathy I had.

Honestly, I did feel bad enough to go back and re-read your initial comment and your responses to others and I cannot for the life of me see what your complaint is.

I can find no specifics about any weaknesses in the 5DIV. No mention of what it cannot do that you need for your work...just some vague complaining about how you think it is somehow behind competitors' products. The impression is certainly that it simply isn't "whiz bang" enough for your tastes.

I'm actually kind of stunned that a working professional would feel this way. I understand enthusiasts who have a fascination with cameras and feel the need to have the newest gizmo. But, usually professional photographers are focused on the results, rather than the technology.

A sincere suggestion: In the future, when you feel the need to rant on a forum, you might get a bit more sympathy if you provide some specifics and explain how it affects your shooting, rather than simply go off on a tangent.

Really? It is "a first world problem"? Unlike all the other problems discussed in this forum, which I guess are about the hungry and the homeless. Give me a break.

And no, he is not "sadly mistaken about how forums work". Not in principle anyway. A serious company with a PR department should be paying attention to forums. Surely, no individual opinion matters to a company the size of Canon, but if a whole bunch of people "whine" about the latest products the company should get a different message than when a whole bunch of people are excited about the latest products.

And if you want a specific list of features that the Canon cameras do not have while other do, don't ask that guy, go to dxomark.com, click on "CAMERAS" and then scroll down the long list of most successful cameras until you find the first Canon one that made it in the list (I'm kidding, it's not that long, there are only 16 cameras that rank better than the best Canon) and then read the individual comparisons.

Oh, oh, and about being "stunned that a working professional would [...] feel the need to have the newest gizmo", this IS a forum about the newest gizmos. Sure, a good photographer does not *need* the newest gizmos, look what Adams shot with, right? But c'mon now. ;-)

You all just set the guy ablaze because he complained about the precious little brand we've all be spending our fortunes on and you just don't want to hear it. And on that note, I'm ready for the fires coming my way!

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
DaviSto said:
takesome1 said:
CanonGuy said:

You're right of course ... every bride's first question (or her mother's, at least) ... "How much DR have you got?"

I thought that the mother’s first question was “is he a DR.”

Upvote 0
Really? It is "a first world problem"? Unlike all the other problems discussed in this forum, which I guess are about the hungry and the homeless. Give me a break.

And no, he is not "sadly mistaken about how forums work". Not in principle anyway. A serious company with a PR department should be paying attention to forums. Surely, no individual opinion matters to a company the size of Canon, but if a whole bunch of people "whine" about the latest products the company should get a different message than when a whole bunch of people are excited about the latest products.

And if you want a specific list of features that the Canon cameras do not have while other do, don't ask that guy, go to dxomark.com, click on "CAMERAS" and then scroll down the long list of most successful cameras until you find the first Canon one that made it in the list (I'm kidding, it's not that long, there are only 16 cameras that rank better than the best Canon) and then read the individual comparisons.

Oh, oh, and about being "stunned that a working professional would [...] feel the need to have the newest gizmo", this IS a forum about the newest gizmos. Sure, a good photographer does not *need* the newest gizmos, look what Adams shot with, right? But c'mon now. ;-)

You all just set the guy ablaze because he complained about the precious little brand we've all be spending our fortunes on and you just don't want to hear it. And on that note, I'm ready for the fires coming my way!
No 'fires coming your way' ... no need to pretend this is some kind of battlezone. We're just talking about our preferences in camera systems.

But it's simple ... CanonGuy didn't 'need' a new camera but liked the idea of having one. He chose to buy a 5Div because, overall, Canon was the best option available to him. What more is there to say?

He was free to make any choice. He figured what was best value for him and he made his decision ... but still felt the need to rant, whine and moan. Why go on so? Why get so upset?

And you full well know, camera manufacturers have far superior ways of understanding customer preferences than monitoring troll-infested internet forums. Internet fora are mainly for entertainment and must be just about the worst possible place to look for reliable feed back on camera performance/design.

Upvote 0

brad-man

Semi-Reactive Member
Jun 6, 2012
S Florida
DaviSto said:

No 'fires coming your way' ... no need to pretend this is some kind of battlezone. We're just talking about our preferences in camera systems.

But it's simple ... CanonGuy didn't 'need' a new camera but liked the idea of having one. He chose to buy a 5Div because, overall, Canon was the best option available to him. What more is there to say?

He was free to make any choice. He figured what was best value for him and he made his decision ... but still felt the need to rant, whine and moan. Why go on so? Why get so upset?

And you full well know, camera manufacturers have far superior ways of understanding customer preferences than monitoring troll-infested internet forums. Internet fora are mainly for entertainment and must be just about the worst possible place to look for reliable feed back on camera performance/design.

Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. You're new here so I'll cut you some slack on your ignorance. I'll have you know that we have several people here who know far far more than Canon, Nikon and Sony combined. It's only a matter of time before they start their own companies and make the big three go the way of the Dodo. Lesson over...

Upvote 0

scottkinfw

Wildlife photography is my passion
CR Pro
neuroanatomist said:

Hey Neuro.

I was waiting for, and greatly disappointed that you didn't make a snarky and inscrutable argument. Then I realized that you must be sick and tired of typing the same, cogent points time and time again.

Scott

Upvote 0
Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. You're new here so I'll cut you some slack on your ignorance. I'll have you know that we have several people here who know far far more than Canon, Nikon and Sony combined. It's only a matter of time before they start their own companies and make the big three go the way of the Dodo. Lesson over...
OK ... I get it. I see the light! How could I have been so easily fooled?

I understand now that these fine upstanding people are working diligently on their theories, plans and blueprints. Before my children's children's grandchildren pass from this world, they will no doubt have come up with their first tentative proposal.

I stand happily admonished.

Upvote 0

scottkinfw

Wildlife photography is my passion
CR Pro
CanonGuy said:
unfocused said:
tomscott said:
Jesus... what a first world problem to have...

Pull yourself together.

+1.

I don't know which is more ridiculous. That someone would spend $3,000 on a camera they don't want, or that they would be so self-absorbed that they feel compelled to post about it on a forum and expect sympathy.

I DO NOT NEED SYMPATHY FROM CANON FANS LIKE YOU. I am here to share my opinion in the hope that someone from Canon will see how their customers feel and will try to improve their product. And can you be a civilized person and not call someone 'self-absorbed' in a forum just because there is a difference of opinion? 3k is nothing to me. I shoot over 25 weddings each year and a single wedding pays me more than that. So yah I think I can afford to spend on things which I'm not a fan of.

No offense, spending money on things you are not a fan of is just foolish.

Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
Yep. You could have got the Nikon. You would have more MP and slightly better Dynamic range but you would have had to put up with Nikons horrendous user interface. Maybe you could have had a Sony. Again better DR but unbelievably uncomfortable in the hand and as you said, not many lenses and likely a body that is prone to overheating. What you got is a camera that will take brilliant photos in 99% of situations, is incredibly comfortable to use and hold, has by far the best user interface of any camera and a native lens selection that all other brands would kill for. And is also a camera that is unlikely to let you down. Canon do not make spec sheet wonders. If you want that go to Sony. They make cameras that do the job, do it well and do it day after day after day. And they are a pleasure to use unlike other brands. You didn't get defeated. You bought a fantastic camera. I wish I had the bucks to get one. Enjoy it.

Upvote 0
Nov 17, 2011
CanonGuy said:
I am a 5d3 and 6d user. The bodies were due for an upgrade but I wasn't sold on 5d4/6d2. After taking a hard look at d850 and a7rii I finally ended up buying a 5d4 today :( Just couldn't make myself sell my huge lens collection and buy new ones :'(

I feel like I am defeated. But I am absolutely at the edge of my tolerence limit. if Canon doesn't step up the game, this is positively going to be my last Canon body. I bought 5d4 but I am not a happy camper.

Sorry I had to rant a little as I am too sad tonight lol. Now back to exploring my new toy

My friends are Wedding Pros, with 5K sq-ft studio in Orange County, California. After 20yrs plus with Canon they made a switch to Sony few months back. They now shooting with A9(6units), a7r II(2 units) and a7sII(2units) plus all the GM lenses and fast FE primes. According to them, best decision ever ;)

Upvote 0
Dylan777 said:
CanonGuy said:
I am a 5d3 and 6d user. The bodies were due for an upgrade but I wasn't sold on 5d4/6d2. After taking a hard look at d850 and a7rii I finally ended up buying a 5d4 today :( Just couldn't make myself sell my huge lens collection and buy new ones :'(

I feel like I am defeated. But I am absolutely at the edge of my tolerence limit. if Canon doesn't step up the game, this is positively going to be my last Canon body. I bought 5d4 but I am not a happy camper.

Sorry I had to rant a little as I am too sad tonight lol. Now back to exploring my new toy

My friends are Wedding Pros, with 5K sq-ft studio in Orange County, California. After 20yrs plus with Canon they made a switch to Sony few months back. They now shooting with A9(6units), a7r II(2 units) and a7sII(2units) plus all the GM lenses and fast FE primes. According to them, best decision ever ;)
Thank you - it is always interesting to hear real life experiences.
What was their main reason for switching and, having used both systems, what do they consider to be the key advantages of the Sony system?

Upvote 0
anthonyd said:

Yawn. The OP was deliberately inflamatory from someone who's used this forum long enough to know precisely what response he would get. Maybe read around here and hopefully you'll see that the regulars offer help and constructive advice when it is warranted. But if someone posts the thousandth topic 'I'm gonna whine about some unspecified failing that Canon needs to address NOW' then they will be met with the reponse that deserves.

Maybe the sentiment was heartfelt, but somehow I feel 'professional with money to burn', 'I couldn't change systems', 'Nikon is so much better', and 'I went with a 5D4 anyway' don't all add up. I have CanonGuy muted, and there's a reason for that.

Upvote 0