IBIS coming to EOS M in 2020 [CR1]

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
It may not be called an M5 mark II. But if it improves on the M5, it basically is for all intents and purposes.

If it does what my M6-II does, plus has a viewfinder and a full articulated screen, it's all I was hoping for from the M5-II that never happened. Adding IBIS to that would be a bonus.

I don't see them putting IBIS into the M50. Contrary to what someone above wrote, it wouldn't be free for them to do so; the mount for the sensor would have to change, and it might force a change to the depth of the body to accommodate a mount that lets the sensor move. The mount itself would be more expensive, too. The M50 is pretty much the "one up from the entry level" mirrorless at this point (I believe there's still an M100 out there as the true entry level), similar to the Rebel "i" models, and adding IBIS would add to the cost. Better to put it in more expensive models.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Danglin52

Wildlife Shooter
Aug 8, 2018
RP body or similar would be great for the higher end model. The point and shoot sizes of the current crop of M bodies is just too small...and get a bigger battery in those things!!
Give me the M6 II capabilities, high performance / refresh rate EVF, weather sealing - I will place my order on announcement. Give me RP size body & IBIS and I will be even happier. I want to use this camera as a backup for my 1dx II when I am weight restricted on gear during wildlife trips. I also get benefit from the 1.6x crop if necessary.

Upvote 0
The Sigma FP shows us what is possible albeit without some of the things we wish for in Canon lines.

no matter what they say, Sigma fp is a video cam, without viewfinder, no mech shutter and no global electronic shutter either. epic fail as a stills camera.

But for sure FF-sensor R-mount camera with all the goods (excellent sensor and AF, state of the art pop-up EVF, IBIS, 500 shot charge battery and dual SD UHS-II slots) would be possible in a somewhat more compact form factor than RP. Even more so, if ut was a pure stills camera without having to cater for excessive video cooling, mics, speakers, audio amps and darn headphone jacks.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Philrp

Waiting patiently for my APS-C EOS R
Sep 2, 2018
What a way to create confusion in the marketplace!

If it uses an RF mount, it's an EOS R camera; if it uses EF-M, it's an EOS M. There's no way Canon would create a muddle by mixing them up!

People survived the confusion EF-S caused. I'm not worried.

Canon may indeed want to sell all that nice R glass to M7 owners, and, unless they change the mount, R can't be adapted to M, as far as i understand

Upvote 0

If it uses an RF mount, it's an EOS R camera; if it uses EF-M, it's an EOS M. There's no way Canon would create a muddle by mixing them up!

The things is, that the Muddle already exists and is called an EF-M, along with the zero upgrade path towards the RF mount.

Upvote 0
Mar 4, 2020
Give me the M6 II capabilities, high performance / refresh rate EVF, weather sealing - I will place my order on announcement. Give me RP size body & IBIS and I will be even happier.

I agree! I would like the RP size body with a battery grip. A little more to hold on to when using longer lenses, like 100-400, etc.

Upvote 0

Andy Westwood

EOS R6
CR Pro
Dec 10, 2016
UK

Agreed! Nikon did this with the crop sensor Z50 mixing it with FF Z6 & Z7 models not a good idea in my opinion. The EOS M Series should stick to crop senor and the EOS R with FF.

I like the M Series because of its very compact size and light weight bodies and lenses.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
no matter what they say, Sigma fp is a video cam, without viewfinder, no mech shutter and no global electronic shutter either. epic fail as a stills camera.

But for sure FF-sensor R-mount camera with all the goods (excellent sensor and AF, state of the art pop-up EVF, IBIS, 500 shot charge battery and dual SD UHS-II slots) would be possible in a somewhat more compact form factor than RP. Even more so, if ut was a pure stills camera without having to cater for excessive video cooling, mics, speakers, audio amps and darn headphone jacks.
thus me writing, albeit, yadda yadda yadda.....It was a size comment.

Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
People survived the confusion EF-S caused. I'm not worried.

Canon may indeed want to sell all that nice R glass to M7 owners, and, unless they change the mount, R can't be adapted to M, as far as i understand

Nope. That won't happen. No M7 owner is going to buy $3000 glass.

I think that Canon would be crazy to launch an APS-C R camera. Right now they are avoiding confusion by having the APS-C and FF mounts separate. I didn't think originally that's what they would do, but hey, they did it, and now they're making it work.

It's no different to how it was before.

If you had an APS-C DSLR and bought EF-S lenses you couldn't use them at all when you upgraded to full frame ("But! EF-S 10-22!" - yes I know, but shut up) however if you bought EF lenses you can still use them on the new camera.

Now. If you have an APS-C M series and buy EF-M lenses you can't use them at all when you upgrade to full frame however if you bought EF lenses you can still use them on the new EOS R series camera.

It used to be that you couldn't have fast frame rate and a high dot pitch full frame sensor, so the EOS 7D series were essential for giving photographers faster frame rates and a high dot pitch but smaller sensor. That's not an issue so much these days.

The EOS R5 (or possibly is successors) will be the real EOS 7 series replacements. There's no need for an APS-C 'R' series camera.

IF you want a high performance APS-C camera, then the EOS M series will do you nicely.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Andy Westwood

EOS R6
CR Pro
Dec 10, 2016
UK
But can they make an EOS R almost as small as an M5? Almost certainly yes.

It's called an EOS RP

RP = 440g M5 = 427g the only challenge is keeping down the weight of the RF glass, there are some already, the RF 35mm f1.8 = 305g and the coming Canon RF 24-105mm f4-7.1 = just 395g whereas the EF-M glass is generally between 100g to 250g relatively cheap and plastic yes but super lightweight and perfectly designed for current EOS M bodies.

Upvote 0
The things is, that the Muddle already exists and is called an EF-M, along with the zero upgrade path towards the RF mount.

2 different sensor sizes, 2 optimized mount, 2 optimized sets of lenses. APS-C has only 2 reasons to exist: 1. significantly smaller than FF gear, 2. significantly less expensive. Canon is 100% there with both lines: M and R.

upgrade path no problem. anybody able to afford R / RF glass has no problem to lose a few bucks selling an M body and 1 or 2 or 3 EF-M lenses.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
2 different sensor sizes, 2 optimized mount, 2 optimized sets of lenses. APS-C has only 2 reasons to exist: 1. significantly smaller than FF gear, 2. significantly less expensive. Canon is 100% there with both lines: M and R.

upgrade path no problem. anybody able to afford R / RF glass has no problem to lose a few bucks selling an M body and 1 or 2 or 3 EF-M lenses.
Totally agree. Don’t think it makes sense to buy expensive and big ff glass and a cheap APS-C body just because you may want to upgrade in the future, specially when the M apsc bodies are designed for portability and high value for money.

Upvote 0

Danglin52

Wildlife Shooter
Aug 8, 2018
I agree! I would like the RP size body with a battery grip. A little more to hold on to when using longer lenses, like 100-400, etc.

Agree for exactly the reason you stated. Even with a grip, a m6 II format would still be very small and hard to hold with a 100-400 II. I actually shoot that combination occasionally but I need a little more camera to hang onto. I think Canon would find that people committed to the M line might buy both camera for different purposes, same situation that happens with he EOS EF line when people want a full featured body plus a lighter spec backup. I am realistic and expect that the camera I want would be slightly north of $1,500. As I stated on another post, a Fuji X-T4 spec/style camera by Canon, maybe even slightly larger. Basically, the 7d II replacement people want in a mirrorless format. This is also attractive from the standpoint it would give you a strong mirrorless option that can pair with a traditional DSLR and shoot common EF glass.

Upvote 0
Agree for exactly the reason you stated. Even with a grip, a m6 II format would still be very small and hard to hold with a 100-400 II. I actually shoot that combination occasionally but I need a little more camera to hang onto. I think Canon would find that people committed to the M line might buy both camera for different purposes, same situation that happens with he EOS EF line when people want a full featured body plus a lighter spec backup. I am realistic and expect that the camera I want would be slightly north of $1,500. As I stated on another post, a Fuji X-T4 spec/style camera by Canon, maybe even slightly larger. Basically, the 7d II replacement people want in a mirrorless format. This is also attractive from the standpoint it would give you a strong mirrorless option that can pair with a traditional DSLR and shoot common EF glass.

luckily Canon also has a good selection of large and very large camera bodies for your 100-400. :)

EOS M lineup caters to the essence of crop gear: 1. small size and 2. low price.

100-400 L glass is a different use case. Although i myself have also been shooting with a (tamron) 150-600 attached to a tiny EOS M (1st gen). of course the lens - just like the 100-400 - had a tripod foot which i used to put the combo on a tripod. no problem with camera body or grip being too small.

is it really so hard to understand Canon's product lines? if you got the money and dont mind or want things big, get a big FF camera and big FF lenses. and if you want things small, light and affordable, get a crop camera and crop lenses. if you want both, get both.

where is the problem?

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

LSXPhotog

Automotive, Commercial, & Motorsports
CR Pro
Apr 2, 2015
Tampa, FL
www.diossiphotography.com
Do I smell an M1 coming? Once the R5 and R6 come out, that may leave more room for a high-end M camera. But, as it sits right now, the M6 Mark II is a significantly more capable camera than either the EOS RP or R. Had the M6 Mark II come with a built-in EVF it would have really trounced on the EOS R.

• Wow
Upvote 0