IBIS is coming to select next generation Canon DSLRs [CR2]

Feb 28, 2013
I guess not. The guess around the Canon rumors community seems for the moment to ba a 1DX mkIII (2020) and probably a 5D mkV later (2021?). But who knows?. If they can make a 90D by now - they could also make a 6D mkIII in some years. However - I don't think so my self.
Canon has obviously not left the DSLR development yet, and they have also released new EF lenses (2018). But I guess we will the end of the DSLR era in 5 - not more than 10 years from now.

(I am having a 6D classic myself wonderful camera - but I am not upgradeing whithin the 6D line. My next upgrade will be a 5DmkIV or a upcoming mkV - and in 10 years time - when current EF lenses and bodies are very well used - then jump ship to EOS-R line and some few RF-lenses, and adaptor for the less used ones. I don't sell much of my used equipment. I use it a lot, and it gives scratches and so. So I tear most of it down, and keep it for good memories.
I have the 6D and the 6D MKII, I also have the EOS R. In my mind the EOS R is the R series version of the 6D MKII. Whilst it may have an almost identical sensor to the 5D MKIV its no 5D camera the biggest issue being lack of joystick and the feeble joypad (don't get me onto the crap rear screen drag to focus). Its also not weather sealed to 5D levels. The RP is really a full frame rebel camera with the 6D MKII sensor (its like Canon have tried to up sell). Dont get me wrong the EOS R produces great pictures, but the user control set is deeply flawed by Canon standards and between the 5DS, 6D MKII and the EOS R the EOS R is my third choice camera. RF lenses however are a marked improvement over EF optics so far.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I have the 6D and the 6D MKII, I also have the EOS R. In my mind the EOS R is the R series version of the 6D MKII. Whilst it may have an almost identical sensor to the 5D MKIV its no 5D camera the biggest issue being lack of joystick and the feeble joypad (don't get me onto the crap rear screen drag to focus). Its also not weather sealed to 5D levels. The RP is really a full frame rebel camera with the 6D MKII sensor (its like Canon have tried to up sell). Dont get me wrong the EOS R produces great pictures, but the user control set is deeply flawed by Canon standards and between the 5DS, 6D MKII and the EOS R the EOS R is my third choice camera. RF lenses however are a marked improvement over EF optics so far.

drag to focus is better for me in almost every situation. any other situations, I use the directional keys in conjunction with the rear screen drag to focus.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
I don’t think that a patent implies that there will be a camera using the technology.
Canon is clearly showing that DSLR is over without making it official, and there will be no 90D or 1DxIII... but only mirrorless next gen camera with RF mount.
In the last 16 months canon released the m50, the R and RP, and now focusing on the RF lenses.
Does anybody really believe that L mount mirrored DSLR cameras are coming??? Lol guys wake up this is over !! Look at the competition and the market: this is OVER.
What’s coming imo are the EOS “R+” with 60mp to compete with A7r4, S1, Z7, GFX100, the EOS “Rx” with top features to replace 1DxII, the EOS M5ii with top features to replace the 80D and compete with a6400 and X-T3 in APS-C, all with RF mount (and EF adaptor to keep customers happy).
Let’s turn the page. I’ve never been happier since I replaced my 5D4 by the fantastic EOS R, and I’m excited with the better ones coming :)
I wonder how can 60Mp 35mm camera compete with the 100MP GFX. I own 5DS R and Phase One IQ3 100 and can say the purpose of these cameras are absolutely different. But I’m mostly agree with you

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Keyboard warriors call it crippling, Manufacturers call it differentiating. Crippling always makes me think that the complainer wants all or most high end features in a low end sale. Do you get pissed at the Ford Dealer that the Focus doesn't have the features of the Mustang?

I know, I know, all you want is a mic jack right?

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I had a Olympus OMD EM1 MKii and a Canon 1DXII. Both are well built cameras, but the Canon is a whole different ball game in terms of quality. Just look at the on/off switch on both the cameras for a start. The Olympus is a flimsy flap and the Canon much more solid. Both a really nice cameras, but everything on the Canon is built to be rugged.

I have noticed that a lot of Canon 1DXiis are starting to appear on the used market. I think people are selling them in expectation of the new one and getting what they can before the price drops...

I shot the E-M1/E-M1ii alongside the original 1DX for quite some time and I would agree that the E-M1ii has a few lower quality switches like you mentioned and the memory card slot door isn't quite up to the standard of the 1DX/D5 but the E-M1X is every bit at the build level of the 1DX/D5.

Upvote 0

FramerMCB

Canon 40D & 7D
CR Pro
Sep 9, 2014
Yeah, but how well would it cope with a 14fps mirror shock?
Well, in Olympus models they are fast buggers, shooting-wise, and are built like small tanks. Very rugged, especially the EM-1, EM-1 Mk II, and the new EM-1X. These models have very high frame rates. Of course they are also mirrorless and 4/3d's. The Pentax models are also built like tanks with the K-1 and K-II probably being the best built/most-rugged FF cameras available at this time. However, the Pentax models, while mirror-slappers, do not have high frame-rates.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
It's way more than that, the sensors usually have a range of motion around 10-15% the sensor height.

and here's a demonstration of the system in the Sony mirrorless bodies.

That’s a 4/3 sensor. Ten percent movement of that sensor is the same as 5 percent of a FF sensor, but even at 5 percent, we are still talking about 300 pixels, and that is way more than 3 pixels

Upvote 0
Keyboard warriors call it crippling, Manufacturers call it differentiating. Crippling always makes me think that the complainer wants all or most high end features in a low end sale. Do you get pissed at the Ford Dealer that the Focus doesn't have the features of the Mustang?

I know, I know, all you want is a mic jack right?
Crippling is what loan sharks do to you if you don’t pay them back. :rolleyes:

• Haha
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I would have zero qualms about taking a Pentax anywhere on the planet. The one exception - a volcano. But then I wouldn't go there either.
You can take any camera to a volcano. It's leaving that causes problems.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
That’s a 4/3 sensor. Ten percent movement of that sensor is the same as 5 percent of a FF sensor, but even at 5 percent, we are still talking about 300 pixels, and that is way more than 3 pixels

Look at the second video showing the Sony IBIS RoM, it's also moving something like 10% of the sensor height.

Upvote 0