I'm making a 4:4:4/4:2:2 16/14/12/10-bit codec for Canon DSLR's

bhf3737 said:
HarryFilm said:
===

NOT EVEN CLOSE!!! I'm already running 55 inch screens at 4 x 4k for the small system and 4K x 8 screens using 83 inch screens for a battlespace management system. Plus I'm running REAL-TIME processed and compressed video at multi-gigabyte bandwidths at 500 km wireless ranges which this guy AIN'T EVEN CLOSE TO ACHIEVING!

So I now understand that you have access to alien technology, too. I didn't know on this planet we have wireless with 500 km range. On planet Earth, even beam wireless cannot go beyond a couple of miles maximum.
I'd be grateful if you implement in your codec some kind of interstellar teleportation technology running on Canon 5D models, so that I can bring back to Earth the rolling hills and tranquil waterfalls of planet Naboo recorded by your 4K 4:4:4 codec, as a proof.
Beam me up Scotty!!

===

I HATE having to explain to you that we are on quite a bit of a different budget level than you and with our drone-based aerial repeater systems and satellite repeaters we are getting Across the Entire-Earth ranges of wireless signal --- please tell me EXACTLY how multiple Reaper drones can be controlled from Nevada on POV mode while the drone is in Afghanistan --- We do Same thing except at GIGABYTES per second bandwidths! A 300 to 700 MHZ signal (not that we use those frequencies for high bandwidth video signal download just drone control and smaller proxy video!) at high power is giving us as much as 7000 km at 300 MHz to about 600 KM at 700 MHz line of sight!

Here is the BASIC pseudocode equation:
Loss in dB := 32.4 + 20 Log( d ) + 20 Log( f );

At those frequencies we get useful 960x540 proxy video and use satellite and drone repeaters at 10 GHz to 60 GHz frequencies for the 4k/8k/16k video streams.

Our budget for gear and cameras is simply quite a bit more than yours...We have 20 cm x 20 cm CCD chips on some of our cameras at resolutions up to 16384 by 16384 pixels. You ain't getting that sort of gear at your local Best Buy!

Upvote 0
Don Haines said:
bhf3737 said:
HarryFilm said:
===

NOT EVEN CLOSE!!! I'm already running 55 inch screens at 4 x 4k for the small system and 4K x 8 screens using 83 inch screens for a battlespace management system. Plus I'm running REAL-TIME processed and compressed video at multi-gigabyte bandwidths at 500 km wireless ranges which this guy AIN'T EVEN CLOSE TO ACHIEVING!

So I now understand that you have access to alien technology, too. I didn't know on this planet we have wireless with 500 km range. On planet Earth, even beam wireless cannot go beyond a couple of miles maximum.
I'd be grateful if you implement in your codec some kind of interstellar teleportation technology running on Canon 5D models, so that I can bring back to Earth the rolling hills and tranquil waterfalls of planet Naboo recorded by your 4K 4:4:4 codec, as a proof.
Beam me up Scotty!!

At the risk of coming to the defense of Harry....

We do have wireless links of 500Km at gigabit speed.... and we even have a 2X10 array of 4K displays...

All you need are a pair of X-band groundstations with multiple experimental modems and 14.5 meter dishes (with the associated gear and control systems it shouldn't cost you more than 3 million dollars for each groundstation) and permission to take over the entire bandwidth of a military X-band satellite and easy-peasy, you have a gigabit plus wireless link....

That said, there are only two such groundstations in Canada capable of such operation, and I am pretty sure that I didn't see Harry there today...

P.S. One of my co-workers is Harry :) but not this Harry, another one!

===

Actually, you don't need a 14.5 metre dish...With Milstar and the newer sats, you're only getting 1 to 10 gigabits per second anyways which is why we use in-atmosphere aerial repeaters at 10 GHz to 60 GHz. Bandwidths are MANY GIGABYTES per second. My compression isn't a miracle worker which is why we are limited to realtime 60 fps broadcast/narrowcast and use 10,000 fps for the onboard recorded media unless we go into the Line-of-Sight Optical and UV+ frequency communications range. AND for videoprocessing, YES you actually CAN stuff a 256 GPU Microway system onto a plane!

For POV flying, we found that 60 fps compressed 960x540 pixels video when downsampled sampled from 4k/8k/16k then broadcast live to the surround-view video system you saw earlier and re-expanded to 4K using Lanczos-5 resampling algorithm is more than adequate for POV flight control. That JUST FITS in a one gigabit satcon or a 300 MHz to 700 MHz in-atmosphere connection. LATENCY is only one or two seconds when using satcom which the pilot is trained to compensate for. When using in-atmosphere repeaters, we can get down to 2 or 3 FRAMES of latency (48 milliseconds or less!).

And it actually does NOT cost 3 million PER station using our systems. GaAs or GaN MMC (Monolithic Microwave Circuits) chips attached to COTS workstation GPU's and decent antennae work wonders at a MUCH CHEAPER PRICE!

Upvote 0
Don Haines said:
HarryFilm said:
we use in-atmosphere aerial repeaters at 10 GHz to 60 GHz.

That has to be the most outstandingly stupid thing that I have heard in my 35 years of working in the field.

If you are going to make up stories, could you at least take the time and effort to come up with a plausible one? Now, as an educational exercise, can you figure out where you went wrong?

===

Hmmmm....How about 6-axis Gyroscopically-controlled dishes attached to an SDR (Software Defined Radio) going at say 90,000 ft drone to drone. The K, X, V and W-band problems with tropospheric and ionic scintillation, cloud attenuation, gaseous absorption, fade, rain attenuation, etc. issues are not the Big Deals you are making them out to be. It's call DSP (Digital Signal Processing - aka probablistic signal state determination) -- SO WHY NOT USE IT to recover your signals! You can also Transmit at a Higher Power Level too!

Just because YOU haven't done it...doesn't mean we haven't !!!

In fact, we've been doing this for quite sometime now...

I think OUR MSc EE's and PhD's (Physics/Math) have a combined experience level of like 300+ years! Some of them INVENTED the signal recovery techniques you've read in your textbooks!

Upvote 0
Don Haines said:
HarryFilm said:
Don Haines said:
HarryFilm said:

That has to be the most outstandingly stupid thing that I have heard in my 35 years of working in the field.

If you are going to make up stories, could you at least take the time and effort to come up with a plausible one? Now, as an educational exercise, can you figure out where you went wrong?

===

Hmmmm....How about 6-axis Gyroscopically-controlled dishes attached to an SDR (Software Defined Radio) going at say 90,000 ft drone to drone. The K, X, V and W-band problems with tropospheric and ionic scintillation, cloud attenuation, gaseous absorption, fade, rain attenuation, etc. issues are not the Big Deals you are making them out to be. It's call DSP (Digital Signal Processing - aka probablistic signal state determination) -- SO WHY NOT USE IT to recover your signals! You can also Transmit at a Higher Power Level too!

I think OUR MSc EE's and PhD's (Physics/Math) have a combined experience level of like 300+ years! Some of them INVENTED the signal recovery techniques you've read in your textbooks!
I stand corrected. That was not the most outstandingly stupid thing that I have ever heard.

===

;-) How about just because I sound like an A$$ doesn't mean I actually am one....or in other words.....I'm not bad, I'm just drawn that way! ....OR.... I ain't the RF and Microwave+ expert, our engineers are. I just do video software! I will defer to their expertise. I just read the script I'm given!

Actually AM NOT kidding about some of them being pioneers in modern RF and Microwave+ signals processing !!! I have enough understanding to be dangerous but of course I should temper that with -- I DO VIDEO SOFTWARE -- NOT RF and MM wave ASP/DSP! I'm not the expert -- YOU tell THEM what can and cannot be done!
cuz evidently what you say is impossible THEY HAVE ALREADY DONE!!!!

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
neuroanatomist said:
Mariandvd said:
Any Eta on the codec is welcome? Soon Canon can release C200 with XAVC and 10bits support and the codec functionality is reduced. Maybe Canon is heading to C100 Mk iii with 10bits support. Time will tell.

The ETA is April 1st or the sixth Tuesday in May, whichever comes later.

I think I know who will be the first target of the drone strike.

Upvote 0
HarryFilm said:
Don Haines said:
HarryFilm said:
Don Haines said:
HarryFilm said:

===

I stand corrected. That was not the most outstandingly stupid thing that I have ever heard.

===

;-) How about just because I sound like an A$$ doesn't mean I actually am one....or in other words.....I'm not bad, I'm just drawn that way! ....OR.... I ain't the RF and Microwave+ expert, our engineers are. I just do video software! I will defer to their expertise. I just read the script I'm given!

Harry, don't jump the shark!!

Upvote 0
Here is a screenshot of the Windows, iOS, MacOS, Android and Linux CODEC control program which can be run in almost ANY video editor, video player and transcoder application that is Windows Direct-X/Apple/Linux/iOS/Android compatible (i.e. BM Resolve, Adobe CC, Corel Video Studio, Vegas, Avid, Lightworks, FCP-Pro, AVI-Synth, Virtual Dub).

AND YES the CODEC itself works on the Canon 7D Mk1/2, 6D mk1/2, 5D mk 2/3/4, 1Dx mk1/2, XC-10/XC-15, M5/M6, C100, C200, C300, C500 and C700 cameras NOW!

I will likely also be able to to install the codecs on the G-series/Powershots and Ti/Rebel series too but I haven't tested those yet!

The screen capture you see controls the system from WITHIN your editor/player/transcoder and the CODEC itself is set via on-screen menus that contain ALL the options noted in the screen capture but are specially fitted for the menu screens and buttons on the cameras themselves!

In terms of output image sizes and frame rates, whatever your hardware supports will be allowed to be forced by the user using the menu screens. The codec tries to sample from the ENTIRE sensor at whatever resolution you specify but if necessary in order to attain the desired frame rate, it will use a middle-of-sensor crop. Obviously a 7D can't do 60 fps 4K...BUT...it CAN do 24 or 25 fps at 4K resolutions! It can ALSO do much FASTER frame rates at lower resolutions AND it can do 4:2:2 10 bit ! IN ADDITION if your camera has the horsepower and card space, you can export/save MULTIPLE output file formats, pixel resolutions, colour sample types and bit rates AT THE SAME TIME !!!!!!

EVERYTHING is BUILT INTO the codec ITSELF --- You DO NOT NEED ANYTHING ELSE other than your normal video editor/player/transcoder and your normal Canon Camera model!

You can also burn-into the imagery of ONE or MORE output files ALL timecode, GPS location, other user-defined metadata and on-screen overlays

AND HERE IS THE FINAL SUPER-DUPER FEATURE THAT MANY HAVE REQUESTED !!!

Every Video Frame and ALL METADATA can NOW BE ENCRYPTED using user selectable TwoFish and/or AES-256 bit encryption so that ALL your still images
AND video files are now FULLY ENCRYPTED to the highest level of security on your local flash media cards AND on any external storage devices AND network IP streams!

ONLY THOSE WHO HAVE THE CORRECT PASSCODE will be able to decode the
images AND EACH still image/video folder set can have a DIFFERENT passcodes
so clients are allowed to open ONLY their OWN files and folders!

SO YEAH !!!! I've made a working Canon Still Photo and Cinema EOS camera codec!

So TOUCHE Canon!

Bon Appetit!

Attachments

• Gamma_Quadrant_Codec_By_DJ_StargateSG7.jpg
    Gamma_Quadrant_Codec_By_DJ_StargateSG7.jpg
    372.3 KB · Views: 248
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
JBSF said:
HarryFilm said:

The secret decoder ring is available by sending cash only to my account in Bermuda.

I’m wondering what clients are supposed to do with their super secret encoded pictures.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
unfocused said:
JBSF said:
HarryFilm said:

The secret decoder ring is available by sending cash only to my account in Bermuda.

I’m wondering what clients are supposed to do with their super secret encoded pictures.
They will just not be able to view their imaginary pictures! No problem! This is what imagination is for after all ;D

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
I tried loading the screenshot on my 1D X and it bricked my camera. What do I do now, Harry?!?

===

Tsk Tsk! YOUR SARCASM I actually DO understand and will brush off because obviously you are technically inclined but simply skeptical which is understandable. It's the OTHER posters I am kinda annoyed at! Anyways it's not too long now! YOU try programming a codec that does all that you saw in the screen capture!

And you should know better in your 1Dx dig....in that you need some VERY special programming skills to upload code into a camera that NORMALLY MUST be sent into Canon for BIOS upgrades/fixes. THAT ONE took some time to figure out! Even Magic Lantern couldn't figure that one out!

Not an impossible task JUST A VERY VERY DIFFICULT ONE TO FIGURE OUT!

I didn't even have to reverse engineer it! Pure long-lived coding expertise!

Canon hasn't exactly made it EASY for any of us to use our gear THE WAY --WE-- want to use it NOT THE WAY CANON WANTS --- WHAT WE THE PEOPLE WANT --- !!!!!

So I am giving people what WE THE PEOPLE WANT --- And if you have ANY feature requests you can email me them using the user interface contact information which will be embedded into the program itself.

Upvote 0
tron said:
unfocused said:
JBSF said:
HarryFilm said:

They will just not be able to view their imaginary pictures! No problem! This is what imagination is for after all ;D

===

I use Private/Public Keys and Secure Key Exchanges! Your clients can decode YOUR SPECIFIC images because you encrypt using their public encryption key and they have their private keys OR you can encode with a single symmetric key that is specific to your client. They key issue Is I use TWO algorithms, TwoFish and AES-256 so that the user can choose which key strength to use from 256 bits (AES) up to 8192 bits for a multi-layered variation of TwoFish.

If you lose your keys or someone steals your camera they can't SEE or READ the photos since I wipe the key from the camera's on-board cache (overwritten many times to prevent bitwise recovery by state-level agencies). I would memorize your keys or at least store them somewhere safe and NOT PERMANENTLY on the camera! You can reload the keys via an ALSO-passcode-encrypted XML file from a separate memory card.

Reporters and other Security-conscious People have been wanting this feature on cameras for a LOOONG TIME --- Now they can have it!

Upvote 0