In a shocking development, Canon adds the EOS R3, RF 16mm f/2.8 & RF 100-400mm f/5.6-8 IS USM to its list of products with a supply issue

Mar 20, 2015
While I can't speak for the camera industry in particular, the chip shortage on a wider scale is most definitely true. Chip shortage has affected a wide range of products, even appliances.

There's not so much a 'shortage' as a displacement of supply. For example, car manufacturers massively reduced their production requirements for 2020 onwards so the chip fabs switched to other contracts for other industries.

Bosch has brought its own fab online for internal use, there's no shortage of raw materials.

Upvote 0
There's not so much a 'shortage' as a displacement of supply. For example, car manufacturers massively reduced their production requirements for 2020 onwards so the chip fabs switched to other contracts for other industries.

Bosch has brought its own fab online for internal use, there's no shortage of raw materials.
Sure, there are plenty of raw materials for making chips: around 30% of the surface of the earth is Silicon, but that's not manufactured, tested, and packaged chips. Bosch might have supply enough for their (and their customers) use, but they aren't the industry.

One customer I work with atm has been told there was a 9-12 month leadtime on some of the chips (e.g. MCU) they are using as well as on the LiIon battery. This is not for automotive.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
When I look in the store it's all Sony. Canon - is that a gag?
I walked through my local Best Buy a couple of days ago, there was plenty of Canon stock. R/RP/R6/R5, 90D, a couple of Rebel DSLRs and a couple of M-series bodies. Several RF lenses: 24-105/4L, 24-105 non-L, 50/1.8, 70-200/4L, along with some EF lenses (I noticed the 70-200/2.8 III, but there were others). There was plenty of Sony stock too, but personally I don't put much stock in Sony stock.

Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
I walked through my local Best Buy a couple of days ago, there was plenty of Canon stock. R/RP/R6/R5, 90D, a couple of Rebel DSLRs and a couple of M-series bodies. Several RF lenses: 24-105/4L, 24-105 non-L, 50/1.8, 70-200/4L, along with some EF lenses (I noticed the 70-200/2.8 III, but there were others). There was plenty of Sony stock too, but personally I don't put much stock in Sony stock.
The Best Buy nearest me only had a rebel and an 80D (about a month ago). There's one across the river like yours...

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
A little depressing and shocking to see Amazon tonight has the 100-500mm L series in stock for $600 over MSRP. I can't remember seeing this before. NOT a third party merchant, but "sold by Amazon."

I'm lucky I got mine back at the beginning of the year. (I only saw the price because I was buying a card-reader and Amazon's algorithm just wanted to show me a lens I already bought from them over seven months ago.)

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
A little depressing and shocking to see Amazon tonight has the 100-500mm L series in stock for $600 over MSRP. I can't remember seeing this before. NOT a third party merchant, but "sold by Amazon."

I'm lucky I got mine back at the beginning of the year. (I only saw the price because I was buying a card-reader and Amazon's algorithm just wanted to show me a lens I already bought from them over seven months ago.)
I’m betting that’s an error, as it violates Canon’s policy for authorized dealers. If not, that is some bull-sh!t.

I ordered mine from Amazon on 15-Aug, for the normal price (and before that normal price went up by $100 on 01-Sep).

Upvote 0

allanP

Contax/Canon and medium format
Jan 3, 2014
We have a different market here (Germany).
In the local trade there are now some R5 and R6 in stock, but the RF optics are rare.
Also online. The German Canon dealer No. 1 (as he calls himself) offers currently only primes in STM segment 35.50, 85 and both telephoto lenses 600 / 800mm f11.
No primes L in stock.
And zoom? There is only the 24-105 STM. That's all.
Everywhere only:
-next incoming goods uncertain
-goods ordered, delivery date unknown
-goods receipt expected at the beginning of September (I thought it's end of September now...)

Upvote 0
I'm more surprised that there have been that many orders for the RF600 f/4 - or did they just not make many in the first case??
I ordered one of these in April - paid a fortune for it and still don't have the item in my hands. All I get from Canon is the BS that they had too many orders for it. Any further info from Canon & the retailer I have purchased from is just silence, no ETA nothing! Not happy about this. Instead of putting putting out new products, Canon should focus on supplying their current inventory to the market.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Upvote 0

shadow

M50
Sep 20, 2022
Hi Everyone, I joined after lurking for months. Sorry in advance if dredging this up from 2021. This old thread is similar subject about R3 supply issues. This is my 1st post, and only here since I cannot find the September 17 2022, Canon Supply issue thread.

Evidently the Sept 17 thread it was a deleted thread with 100 comments?

Anyone interested in buying an R3 from stock?, I know of a supplier but outside the USA. Thanks.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Hi Everyone, I joined after lurking for months. Sorry in advance if dredging this up from 2021. This old thread is similar subject about R3 supply issues. This is my 1st post, and only here since I cannot find the September 17 2022, Canon Supply issue thread.

Evidently the Sept 17 thread it was a deleted thread with 100 comments?

Anyone interested in buying an R3 from stock?, I know of a supplier but outside the USA. Thanks.
You joined and made your first post a sales pitch?

Upvote 0