Indoor Volleyball

Crapking

"Whatever you are....be a good one." AL
Nov 9, 2011
jjlabella.photoshelter.com
If you check the EXIF data, you can see I shoot with a variety of lenses - depending on lighting / distance and my mood :)

While many claim the 50 and 85 1.2's autofocus too slow, I use them quite a bit with both the 1dIV and 1DX w/o too many misses. A few more misses with my 5d and overall a touch slower/less consistent with the 7d, but still useable with practice.

Upvote 0
I use 5D Mark III and different kind of lenses. That ain't sport camera because of slow frame rate, but you can compensate it by knowing the game. 70-200/2.8 IS II might be the best lens for indoor volleyball. Only issue is 2.8 aperture - I must use ISO 6400 with that to reach 1/1000 shutter speed. Other lenses I have been using are 135/2L, 85/1.2L and 35/1.4L. It really depends what you want and if you know the game, 85's slow focus isn't big issue. Of course, with 70-200 and 5D III or 1Dx you get instant (and I mean instant) focus which you cannot get with 85/1.2.

Good places to shoot are back corners (from seats or something else up from court) to shoot blocks and attacks, both sides (from court) to get feelings and reception shots and from backside to get blocks/attacks. 5D's focusing system is amazing and it can take a while to find optimal focus methods based from where you shoot, but when you find correct one, even the toughest situations are easy to shoot. It doesn't matter if middle blocker stands in front of place 6 player while hitting pipe, focus keeps rocking :)

Upvote 0
May 31, 2011
markojakatri said:
I use 5D Mark III and different kind of lenses. That ain't sport camera because of slow frame rate, but you can compensate it by knowing the game. 70-200/2.8 IS II might be the best lens for indoor volleyball. Only issue is 2.8 aperture - I must use ISO 6400 with that to reach 1/1000 shutter speed. Other lenses I have been using are 135/2L, 85/1.2L and 35/1.4L. It really depends what you want and if you know the game, 85's slow focus isn't big issue. Of course, with 70-200 and 5D III or 1Dx you get instant (and I mean instant) focus which you cannot get with 85/1.2.

Good places to shoot are back corners (from seats or something else up from court) to shoot blocks and attacks, both sides (from court) to get feelings and reception shots and from backside to get blocks/attacks. 5D's focusing system is amazing and it can take a while to find optimal focus methods based from where you shoot, but when you find correct one, even the toughest situations are easy to shoot. It doesn't matter if middle blocker stands in front of place 6 player while hitting pipe, focus keeps rocking :)

I am upgrading to a 5d mkiii and I shoot sports both indoor and out. I realize ten shots per second is much better than 6, but outside of that, I am guessing its performance is close to being on par with the 1dx. or am I wishful thinking.

Upvote 0

Crapking

"Whatever you are....be a good one." AL
Nov 9, 2011
jjlabella.photoshelter.com

I am upgrading to a 5d mkiii and I shoot sports both indoor and out. I realize ten shots per second is much better than 6, but outside of that, I am guessing its performance is close to being on par with the 1dx. or am I wishful thinking.
[/quote]

Not wishful thinking at all - I used the 5d3 all last spring and was generally happy with its' performance (c/w the 7d I used the past 2 yrs). I did use concurrently with the 1d IV last yr, with different lenses on each to add to my flexibility / readiness. With knowledge of the game, nailing focus on a serve, dig, or block was rarely a problem for the camera. Planning the background (when possible) and controlling DOF is more 'operator-dependent'. :)
While I clearly prefer my 1-series now, I'd easily be able shoot all day with my 5d3 and my client's would probably not notice much difference. But as for all the conveniences / customization / durability of the 1-series, shooting matches 2-3x/wk is more pleasant (? reliable) over the long season.

Upvote 0