Industry News: Fujifilm Introduces the flagship X-H2S

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Press Release:
Valhalla, N.Y., May 31, 2022 – FUJIFILM North America Corporation today announced the launch of its next flagship X Series mirrorless digital camera, FUJIFILM X-H2S (X- H2S). The most advanced X Series mirrorless camera yet, X-H2S includes advanced features for both still photography and video. It is also the first APS-C digital camera of its kind to feature Fujifilm’s 26.16MP X-TransTM CMOS 5 HS imaging sensor, a stacked, back-side illuminated imaging sensor with a signal reading speed up to four times faster than Fujifilm’s previous X-TransTM CMOS 4*1.
Preorder the Fujifilm X-H2S $2499
X-TransTM CMOS 5, combined with the newly minted X-Processor 5...

Continue reading...

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
For folks who did not find the R7 to be high-end enough, this should make you happy. Plus a new 150-600 lens!
Don't tempt me!
But I hate the Fuji menus, fortunately.
Edit: just noticed they have a new cutie: 150-600mm tele zoom...$1999 !
Do I still hate Fuji's menus???

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 9 users
Upvote 0
Jun 27, 2013
Pune
For folks who did not find the R7 to be high-end enough, this should make you happy. Plus a new 150-600 lens!
That lens is highly desirable at its asking price. Though Fuji hasn't specified Max mag ratio of that lens and compared to RF 100-500(or EF 100-400) its not particularly close focusing so its strictly a wildlife/birding lens and might not be suitable for butterflying.
Looks like a nice camera with full of features but does it worth $1000 over the R7?
Stacked CMOS Sensor, Full featured video modes including support for ProRes RAW, info panel, faster CF express slot, 7 user custom modes, weather sealing, full sized HDMI port, X- sync port, 20,30,40 fps in electronic shutter mode and RAW buffer depth of over 150 frames in 40fps and 400 RAW files in 15fps mechanical shutter mode, option to add battery grip. So yeah it looks like a good upgrade over R7.CleanShot_2022-05-31_at_09.42.44.jpeg
CleanShot_2022-05-31_at_09.55.02.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

joseph ferraro

5DM4/R5 Macro
Apr 16, 2020
Anyone notice the active cooling fan in the Recommended Accessories https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1708267-REG/fujifilm_16757344_x_h_fan.html I'm not hating on it or anything, think its a smart addition to keep a device working longer, and it's kind of nice they added the mounting holes right behind the screen. I'm still happy with my R5, though I am really only using it for my macro work at the moment which is mainly stills.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

DBounce

Canon Eos R3
May 3, 2016
Fujifilm had the good sense to include 3:2 video shooting mode on this camera. @Canon 3:2 and 4:3 full sensor height shooting mode are very important in this day and age of social media. Please add this feature to your mirrorless bodies via firmware update. It’s no longer just a “nice to have” for people that shoot content for social media… it’s pretty much a “must have”

I honestly can’t understand why so many camera companies have such a poor understanding of the direction that the market is trending? It’s a real freaking mystery to me.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

LSXPhotog

Automotive, Commercial, & Motorsports
CR Pro
Apr 2, 2015
Tampa, FL
www.diossiphotography.com
I sold all my EOS-M stuff last year and switched to Fujifilm for my APS-C vacation/recreational cameras. The area Fuji has struggled the most and by an enormously obvious margin was with their autofocus. This camera has made some giant leaps in their AF and the ability to, at the very least, track a subject on the screen from great distances. However, I've now seen nearly every review point out the fact that it's not actually tracking the subject confidently and is missing a lot of shots that are "just out of focus" and not sharp... Chris Nichols from DPReview did their simple "Jordan zig-zag toward the camera" AF test and at 40fps it didn't exactly do well in release priority mode. They put the camera into focus priority shooting and every single shot was in perfect focus...buuuuut the camera dropped to 13fps to make that happen.

So it's sounding like this is a very excellent camera and will be a great piece of gear and hardware into the future - if supported by Fujifilm better than their cameras have been in recent times. The sensor readout is said to be 5.6 milliseconds in 12-bit mode, which is 1/180 - the same as the full frame Canon R3. Not sure that's really so impressive from a smaller APS-C sensor. I'm just trying to talk myself out of the idea I have to sell my R6 and XT-4 and have this join my work fleet...I just don't think Fujifilm is there yet with their system for my work needs.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
Looks like a nice camera with full of features but does it worth $1000 over the R7?
If the R7 had pro build quality, 40fps, BSI sensor and all the other goodies offered by this Fujifilm machine, would you have been willing to pay USD 2500 for it?

Canon are not truly interested in producing the "best" cameras, what they really want is to produce the *best selling* cameras. They know that the market for a pro-grade APS is pretty small, which is why they brought out a prosumer R7 at a bargain price. It'll sell like hot cakes, but in most regards the Fujifilm appears to be the "better" camera.

Reactions: 9 users
Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2014
If the R7 had pro build quality, 40fps, BSI sensor and all the other goodies offered by this Fujifilm machine, would you have been willing to pay USD 2500 for it?

Canon are not truly interested in producing the "best" cameras, what they really want is to produce the *best selling* cameras. They know that the market for a pro-grade APS is pretty small, which is why they brought out a prosumer R7 at a bargain price. It'll sell like hot cakes, but in most regards the Fujifilm appears to be the "better" camera.

I would rather pay $1500 for the R7 because it has 90% of what I need. The only thing I would like from the Fuji is the better viewfinder and higher quality 4K60.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I sold all my EOS-M stuff last year and switched to Fujifilm for my APS-C vacation/recreational cameras. The area Fuji has struggled the most and by an enormously obvious margin was with their autofocus. This camera has made some giant leaps in their AF and the ability to, at the very least, track a subject on the screen from great distances. However, I've now seen nearly every review point out the fact that it's not actually tracking the subject confidently and is missing a lot of shots that are "just out of focus" and not sharp... Chris Nichols from DPReview did their simple "Jordan zig-zag toward the camera" AF test and at 40fps it didn't exactly do well in release priority mode. They put the camera into focus priority shooting and every single shot was in perfect focus...buuuuut the camera dropped to 13fps to make that happen.

So it's sounding like this is a very excellent camera and will be a great piece of gear and hardware into the future - if supported by Fujifilm better than their cameras have been in recent times. The sensor readout is said to be 5.6 milliseconds in 12-bit mode, which is 1/180 - the same as the full frame Canon R3. Not sure that's really so impressive from a smaller APS-C sensor. I'm just trying to talk myself out of the idea I have to sell my R6 and XT-4 and have this join my work fleet...I just don't think Fujifilm is there yet with their system for my work needs.
Although there were many things I liked about Fuji, and a surprising number of ways in which Fuji's OS is more sophisticated than Canon's, I left Fuji after 7 years and came back to Canon. AF was one of the big reasons, and there's nothing I've seen so far that suggests the X-H2S has closed the gap. AF in the X-H2S may be better than previous Fuji bodies but progress seems incremental. From what I've seen it remains unreliable in video and still not Canon or Sony-like in stills when it comes to tracking. Their best "red badge" zooms are just as big as RF glass (in some cases, bigger), their telephoto zooms go soft at the long end, and their less expensive zooms have a nervous bokeh that can be obnoxious in certain scenarios. Add to this the fact that the company has basically abandoned the kaizen philosophy that engendered so much loyalty and it becomes harder to make the case for the X-Series in 2022. The notable exception is if you shoot primes. Here Fuji remains an attractive choice.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

mdcmdcmdc

EOS R7, M5, 100 (film), Sony α6400
CR Pro
Sep 4, 2020
Wow. Less than two weeks ago, I assumed if anybody was going to break the $2000 barrier in APS-C, it would be Canon.

Nice to see another high-end APS-C body announcement. Fuji has always been serious about APS-C. They've got a great line of lenses, especially if you like primes.

One area where I understand Fuji has lagged Canon and Sony in the past is in action AF speed, accuracy, and tracking. It will be interesting to see how the additional processing and "evolved" AF pans out.

I hope it's a big seller for them!

Upvote 0

Stig Nygaard

EOS R7, Powershot G5 X II & Olympus TG-5
CR Pro
Jul 10, 2013
Copenhagen
www.flickr.com
Would I be ready to pay $1000 extra for the R7 if Canon added stacked sensor, CFExpress, larger buffer and a higher resolution EVF? YES, I most definetely would! (and especially if Canon also added a builtin GPS ;-)).

But the EOS R7 - even if it doesn't feel like a true 7DII succesor - also seems to be a nice camera. And the more details I learn about it, the nicer it becomes. But in the long run, it looks like Canon have a new serious competitor in the high-end "action ready" APS-C market to look out for. Looking forward to hear how Fuji's updated AF works in practice on a final release camera.

But Dear Canon! Launch an "R7x" next year, and you will get my money twice :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Jun 27, 2013
Pune
Would I be ready to pay $1000 extra for the R7 if Canon added stacked sensor, CFExpress, larger buffer and a higher resolution EVF? YES, I most definetely would! (and especially if Canon also added a builtin GPS ;-)).

But the EOS R7 - even if it doesn't feel like a true 7DII succesor - also seems to be a nice camera. And the more details I learn about it, the nicer it becomes. But in the long run, it looks like Canon have a new serious competitor in the high-end "action ready" APS-C market to look out for. Looking forward to hear how Fuji's updated AF works in practice on a final release camera.

But Dear Canon! Launch an "R7x" next year, and you will get my money twice :)
Personally not a big fan of built-in GPS as they suck too much battery(Some MS employees had published an interesting paper about offloading GPS calculations to cloud and how it would benefit with battery drain on cell phones) even on DSLRs that had built-in GPS they made battery life worse and in case of MILC they would bring cameras to their knees. I would much rather carry a dedicated receiver in my bag(since I have a habit of getting lost in forests) and these days thanks to Bluetooth LE and Camera apps connected to phones having GPS built-into camera bodies is not as much of a necessity.

Upvote 0

Stig Nygaard

EOS R7, Powershot G5 X II & Olympus TG-5
CR Pro
Jul 10, 2013
Copenhagen
www.flickr.com
I would much rather carry a dedicated receiver in my bag(since I have a habit of getting lost in forests) and these days thanks to Bluetooth LE and Camera apps connected to phones having GPS built-into camera bodies is not as much of a necessity.
Okay, lets make it short, because discussion have been up a 100 times before.
I happily take the extra battery use. App/bluetooth solution also costs battery, and for both camera and phone. Plus it just works like shit in practice. The dedicated tracker in my bag (and sync in post-processing) is also my fallback solution today, but it feels like going 10 years back in time :-(

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jun 27, 2013
Pune
Okay, lets make it short, because discussion have been up a 100 times before.
I happily take the extra battery use. App/bluetooth solution also costs battery, and for both camera and phone. Plus it just works like shit in practice. The dedicated receiver in my bag (and sync in post-processing) is also my fallback solution today, but it feels like going 10 years back in time :-(
fair enough, found the paper from Microsoft just sharing the link here:

Upvote 0