Industry News: Leica announces their first true hybrid mirrorless camera, the Leica SL2-S

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
This is the way.

(Real photographers don't need autofocus.)

I've started to have a LOT of fun adapting older lenses and focusing manually.

My eyesight isn't the best, but the focus aids on the mirrorless cameras really help that, and when you're doing this, you're not generally shooting sports, etc...you have time to compose, focus.....

I DO believe there is something to it, with regard to slowing down with photography again. I found this when shooting old Medium Format film and old fashioned view cameras with ground glass and all.

Its a different way of shooting, but pleasurable.

And you can scoop up some amazing deals on some old lenses that were of quite high quality, and the fact that many have "character" is a plus.
No, they aren't clinical sharp as the more modern lenses are today.

But I"m finding that clinical sharp isn't always the best tool depending on what imagery I"m trying to create at the time.

LOL, there's times I don't want to count the pores on a models face...but would rather have a softer skin texture and maybe a more swirly bokeh in the background that really isn't readily recreated digitally in post.....and you can score that for as low as $50.

I think the mirrorless body is really opening up a lot of old quality glass for new use.

Just my rambling $0.02,

cayenne

Upvote 0

Atlasman

EOS R6 MKII
CR Pro
May 14, 2020
I've started to have a LOT of fun adapting older lenses and focusing manually.

My eyesight isn't the best, but the focus aids on the mirrorless cameras really help that, and when you're doing this, you're not generally shooting sports, etc...you have time to compose, focus.....

I DO believe there is something to it, with regard to slowing down with photography again. I found this when shooting old Medium Format film and old fashioned view cameras with ground glass and all.

Its a different way of shooting, but pleasurable.

And you can scoop up some amazing deals on some old lenses that were of quite high quality, and the fact that many have "character" is a plus.
No, they aren't clinical sharp as the more modern lenses are today.

But I"m finding that clinical sharp isn't always the best tool depending on what imagery I"m trying to create at the time.

LOL, there's times I don't want to count the pores on a models face...but would rather have a softer skin texture and maybe a more swirly bokeh in the background that really isn't readily recreated digitally in post.....and you can score that for as low as $50.

I think the mirrorless body is really opening up a lot of old quality glass for new use.

Just my rambling $0.02,

cayenne
I went through that phase when Sony first released their NEX 5n. I went out and bought a ton on old glass and had a blast!

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
And yet not one person mentions it is 24mp.

Can you imagine the furor if Canon were to suggest a 24mp $5,000 camera nowadays? Just look at any R3 thread, R1 thread etc etc...
Whenever I look at a Leica camera and think the price seems reasonable for a Leica I find a Panasonic camera which is practically the same for less money.
Then I end up buying another Canon.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0