Industry News: Leica officially announces the Leica M11

I suppose there are some out there that use Leica as a status symbol.
I doubt that is the majority. To people that have enough disposable cash, they don't really need status symbols like a camera....to those type folks this is pocket change.

I'm not rich, but, but right now with no kids (that I know of)...and not having to deal with WAF on anything, I have disposable income.

I bought the M10M...because I was very facilitated with shooting digital without the color array and the images it produces with increased low light performance and the better graduations of luminance that you really can't seem to get out of a regular color digital camera.

It has been a life changer for my photography, I'm learning now, how to try to "see" scenes in shades of luminance, without color and its really fascinating. I'm often finding that images that would be boring in color, can be fascinating in B&W. And I dunno what the deal is, but many times, my M10M images seem to have almost a medium format look to them.
I have a medium format digital and it's strange how a full frame camera seems to have that look some times.

I don't need status symbols. In fact, one of the reasons I bought the M10M, is because it has no red dot...no perceptible branding at all. Likely as not, most people that see me out, thing I'm carrying some old fashioned point and shoot.

[. . .]
Just to add something to your very well crafted and perfectly reasonable argument.

I'd say most people fall for buying "status symbols" in some way, it's just the price barrier is different. It may be a car, a bike, a computer, a phone, a kitchen appliance, clothing, you name it, but I'm pretty sure we all have that one thing that, all things being equal with other options, we bought because it is a "enter brand name". I can't afford a Leica nor would buy one even if I could, but I do have overpriced Patagonia , Fjalraven , and other outdoor brands items for which I paid more than it is reasonable just because I enjoy them and I feel cool wearing them. Probably even more stupid in my case when I'll probably only be seen by birds and foxes with no sense of fashion :ROFLMAO:

I genuinely don't see where the problem is with people spending their hard earned cash in whatever the heck they want, as long as that money is earned legally and morally, and spent on things that are mostly legal and mostly moral, but that is a completely different can of worms that shall stay sealed.:LOL:

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
Just to add something to your very well crafted and perfectly reasonable argument.

I'd say most people fall for buying "status symbols" in some way, it's just the price barrier is different. It may be a car, a bike, a computer, a phone, a kitchen appliance, clothing, you name it, but I'm pretty sure we all have that one thing that, all things being equal with other options, we bought because it is a "enter brand name". I can't afford a Leica nor would buy one even if I could, but I do have overpriced Patagonia , Fjalraven , and other outdoor brands items for which I paid more than it is reasonable just because I enjoy them and I feel cool wearing them. Probably even more stupid in my case when I'll probably only be seen by birds and foxes with no sense of fashion :ROFLMAO:

I genuinely don't see where the problem is with people spending their hard earned cash in whatever the heck they want, as long as that money is earned legally and morally, and spent on things that are mostly legal and mostly moral, but that is a completely different can of worms that shall stay sealed.:LOL:
What is overpriced, what does it actually mean?
Commercial companies want and need profit, otherwise they'd go bankrupt.
Isn't a mass-produced Canon or Sony overpriced too? Their production cost is obviously lower than for a camera produced in a far more limited quantity. Besides, why should I pay Euro 5000+ for a fully automatically produced Rolex, even without a date and chronograph function? A quartz Timex being more precise, is a Rolex an idiocy or simply a beautiful watch???
Simple answer: because I want and like it, as you correctly wrote, partly for the brand-appeal and status. But also for different "reasonable" reasons. Just compare, in a street-photography situation, an EOS 1 DX plus 1,4/35 and an M 10 plus its tiny 1,4/35 Summilux...
And the possibility to fit your M 240-10-11 etc... with some of the best lenses available, even 50 years old ones. Our choices are often dictated by emotions, is this wrong if reason participates?
PS: I too buy Patagonia and Fjällräven, and the birds and foxes are happy.;)

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jul 30, 2010
When I bought my M4 in 1968, I was not aiming at statue symbol or prestige. It was only $15 more than a Nikon F. Before that, I own a Exakta VX IIb, with all Ziess ( Easten Germany) lenses. at that time, the Japanese lenses are not as good as my Estern German lens. Since I already have a SLR. I want a ranger finder. Leica and Ziess ( Western Germany) are the BEST at that time. Ziess did not make any range finder camera at thet time either. So the M4 becomes my only choice. Additional benefit of the M4 is the smaller size for both the body and the lenses. with the Elmar 2.8/50 on the M4, I can put them in a coat pocket comfortably by collapsing the lens into the body. I can even put the M4 with 2.0/35 Summicron into the coat pocket.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
I've been dabbling in film the past few years....mostly 120 MF in various aspect ratios from 6x6 to 6 x17....but also some 35mm, especially lately with a Nikon I had custom done in Canada to shoot through a 50mm Mamiya Press MF lens in an aspect ratio a touch wider than a Xpan camera.

I have been looking at one of these early LeicaFlex 35mm cameras....wanting as full mechanical as possible...to shoot normal 35mm aspect.
They seem to be built like tanks....

Ugh...I gotta save up for my next Canon....so, need to keep head on track, I have enough niche film cameras, need to think of my next serious digital one for shooting concerts and fast moving stuff with AF.

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
Just to balance things out...
I'm still nosing around eBay to at some point by a Fed 3 or a Zorki 4....to play around with.

Often you can just buy these cheap more for the lens than anything else.

That's one thing I love about mirrorless and my M10M was my first mirrorless.....and that is, adapting lenses. I've had a ton of fun playing with old Russian glass, I love the swirls.

And as far as film I like mostly different aspect ratios you can't get with digital (without cropping)....I got a good copy of the HorizonT swing lens camera from Russia. It's the older all metal one, again, built like a tank.

Lots of fun to just carry around. I find that like with the M10M being only B&W...with film cameras with different aspect ratio sizing...I start to think about compositions differently too.

Doing these kinda makes me "see" my world a bit differently, which can't do anything but help a little.
;)

cayenne

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
Just to balance things out...
I'm still nosing around eBay to at some point by a Fed 3 or a Zorki 4....to play around with.

Often you can just buy these cheap more for the lens than anything else.

That's one thing I love about mirrorless and my M10M was my first mirrorless.....and that is, adapting lenses. I've had a ton of fun playing with old Russian glass, I love the swirls.

And as far as film I like mostly different aspect ratios you can't get with digital (without cropping)....I got a good copy of the HorizonT swing lens camera from Russia. It's the older all metal one, again, built like a tank.

Lots of fun to just carry around. I find that like with the M10M being only B&W...with film cameras with different aspect ratio sizing...I start to think about compositions differently too.

Doing these kinda makes me "see" my world a bit differently, which can't do anything but help a little.
;)

cayenne
I once had a Zorki 4.
The best about the camera, apart from the lens, was the owner's manual in French.
Quote: "The camera you dare not put in the side of great sun, shutter could get burning" (sic).
Nasdrowje!:rolleyes:

• Haha
Upvote 0