Industry News: Nikon Announces Development of Next Generation Full-Frame Mirrorless Camera and Nikko

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Nikon is stringing this out as long as possible, but this is a big day nonetheless:

https://nikonrumors.com/2018/07/25/official-press-release-nikons-develops-the-next-generation-full-frame-mirrorless-camera.aspx/

It’s full frame.

It’s a thinner than FX mount.

FX lenses are compatible with an adaptor.

Those are not trivial pieces of news. We’ve been waiting for that sort of clear tell for Canon for years here.

- A

lb

Aug 1, 2014
Re: ** Nikon announces FF mirrorless ** without many details

Yep another Mirrorless camera out there and Canon sits back trying to
CATCH THE MICE WHILE THE ELEPHANTS ARE GALLOPING PAST
I believe at present Canon are so far behind designing our mirrorless generation camera that we all are hanging on and our bias remarks to other camera makers is showing our present concerns about the future of Canon cameras will our products turn into Vapourware never to be seen again

Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<strong>MELVILLE, NY (JULY 25, 2018 at 12:01 A.M. EDT)</strong> – Nikon Inc. is pleased to announce the development of a next-generation full-frame (Nikon FX-format) mirrorless camera and NIKKOR lenses featuring a new mount.</p>
<p>The new mirrorless camera and NIKKOR lenses that are in development will enable a new dimension in optical performance with the adoption of a new mount. The system is the result of Nikon’s unsurpassed optical and manufacturing capabilities gained through more than a century of imaging expertise. Proven reliability and trusted performance are core traits of Nikon Digital-SLRs, and decades of feedback from professional creators around the world has further contributed to the development of this system.</p>
<p>Through the development of this new mirrorless camera, Nikon reaffirms our commitment to providing photographers with the ability to capture images that are richer and more vivid than ever before.</p>
<p><!--more--></p>
<p>Additionally, an F-Mount adapter is being developed that will enable the use of a wide variety of F-Mount NIKKOR lenses with the new camera.</p>
<p>Nikon will continue to lead imaging innovation with the launch of the new mirrorless camera and the continued development of Nikon Digital-SLR cameras as well as the impressive NIKKOR lens lineup. Soon, Nikon users will have two industry-leading camera systems to choose from, giving consumers the choice to enjoy the unique values that each system offers.</p>
<p>Content relating to this product is available for viewing at the following URL: <a href="http://www.nikonusa.com/mirrorlessiscoming" target="article-null">http://www.nikonusa.com/mirrorlessiscoming</a>. Please stay tuned for more information.</p>
<p>Details, including the release date and suggested retail prices, will be shared at a later date.</p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

Upvote 0
Feb 28, 2013
Re: Industry News: Nikon Announces Development of Next Generation Full-Frame Mirrorless Camera and N

To be clear IB both Nikon & Canon have played down mirrorless the companies that led the way were Panasonic and Olympus, then Fuji and Sony.
I have had the Olympus cameras from the first 4/3rd camera and the only reason I bought them were the size & weight which improved again with micro 4/3rds.

It will be interesting to see what Nikon flange depth will be the sweet spot seems to be 18 - 26mm. Canon EF-M is 18mm, the Sony E mount is 18mm but in the past the Nikon S mount was 34.85mm whilst the FX mount is 46.5mm (Canon EF/EF-S is 44mm)

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Re: Industry News: Nikon Announces Development of Next Generation Full-Frame Mirrorless Camera and N

snoke said:
Want EF adapter.
They might happen eventually from a third party, but Nikon encrypts its data channels in camera, so after we get quantum computers in 5 or 10 years, the code can be broken. Until then, you will have manual focus, and a klutzy method of changing the aperture size.

Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2016

ahsanford said:
Nikon is stringing this out as long as possible, but this is a big day nonetheless:

https://nikonrumors.com/2018/07/25/official-press-release-nikons-develops-the-next-generation-full-frame-mirrorless-camera.aspx/

It’s full frame.

It’s a thinner than FX mount.

FX lenses are compatible with an adaptor.

Those are not trivial pieces of news. We’ve been waiting for that sort of clear tell for Canon for years here.

- A

I was surprised, though, to read that the adapter “Is in development.” What does that mean? The camera will be officially announced no more than about a month from now, with the lenses and accessories, going by the timing of Nikon’s Pre-announcements and the later actual ones.

But I would think that before lenses are out, an adapter would be available. I’m not saying that adapters are a development walk in the park, but they’re much simpler than lenses. Certainly, if I’m a Nikon owner, and I’ve got lenses, I would want to run out and use them, as new lenses will be limited for some time.

If it’s a few weeks, that would be odd, but ok. But if it’s several months, that’s just odd.
I wonder if Canon will do the same, with the adapter coming out after the basic system.

Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2016

jeffa4444 said:
To be clear IB both Nikon & Canon have played down mirrorless the companies that led the way were Panasonic and Olympus, then Fuji and Sony.
I have had the Olympus cameras from the first 4/3rd camera and the only reason I bought them were the size & weight which improved again with micro 4/3rds.

It will be interesting to see what Nikon flange depth will be the sweet spot seems to be 18 - 26mm. Canon EF-M is 18mm, the Sony E mount is 18mm but in the past the Nikon S mount was 34.85mm whilst the FX mount is 46.5mm (Canon EF/EF-S is 44mm)

What’s interesting about all the companies that did mirrorless before Canon, is that none of them had any market share to talk about. 1%, 2%, 3% and even Sony’s 5% were meaningless. So they had no real choice. Either remain at losing levels, and going out if the business entirely as Samsung did, or try something that no large company e.g. Canon, Nikon, was doing, as thereby gaining first mover, and hopefully a market share that will be high.

Only Sony achieved that goal, but mirrorless, until recently, wasn’t all that popular outside of Japan. Once Canon decided that the market was there, and the time was right, they entered the market. Apparently Canon knows the market better, because in a few short years, they leapt to the top of the mirrorless market, and their current line is now number one, with a high growth rate.

So when I read about all the other companies who are struggling with their lines, I just have to shake my head. Very often innovating isn’t enough, you have to convince the potential customer that the innovation is a significant step forwards. That’s not all that easy to do. With the camera market consisting mostly of entrenched users, it’s hard to convince most that what they’re using isn’t good enough. It’s not always true either.

The fact is that until recently, mirrorless hasn’t been all that great, as we see with the mostly terrible viewfinders, or even the total lack of same. Going back to a little glass opening to look through isn’t what most people expect, or want.

I think that both Canon and Nikon are going to knock the mirrorless market on its head, and these small makers will be back where they’ve always been - on the bottom.

Upvote 0

josephandrews222

Square Sensors + AI = Better Images
Jul 12, 2013
Midwest United States

melgross said:
jeffa4444 said:

What’s interesting about all the companies that did mirrorless before Canon, is that none of them had any market share to talk about. 1%, 2%, 3% and even Sony/s 5% were meaningless. So they had no real choice. Either remain at losing levels, and going out if the business entirely as Samsung did, or try something that no large company e.g. Canon, Nikon, was doing, as thereby gaining first mover, and hopefully a market share that will be high.

Only Sony achieved that goal, but mirrorless, until recently, wasn’t all that popular outside of Japan. Once Canon decided that the market was there, and the time was right, they entered the market. Apparent,y Canon knows the market better, because in a few short years, the leapt to the top of the mirrorless market, and their current line is now number one, with a high growth rate.

Our family of 4 each own an 'M' (both children love theirs)...and I look forward to Canon's full-frame mirrorless body. I have delayed purchase of the (in my mind) still-new 5DMk4 because the combination of 5DMk3 and M6 currently serve my needs quite well.

I will look forward to the new Canon mirrorless more if they go all out with forward-looking features worthy of the most successful camera company in the world.

To me, those features will include a new mount.

Upvote 0

melgross said:
sdz said:
Nikon announces vaporware!

No!

Yes!

Eventually, Nikon will announce a camera, a few lenses and an adapter. But these are mist today. Nikon will eventually ship these items. Nonetheless, Nikon has promised us very little with their announcement, and nothing more than what we already knew.

Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2016

sdz said:
melgross said:
sdz said:

No!

Yes!

Eventually, Nikon will announce a camera, a few lenses and an adapter. But these are mist today. Nikon will eventually ship these items. Nonetheless, Nikon has promised us very little with their announcement, and nothing more than what we already knew.

Please, just stop it! All camera companies do a bit of preannouncement. We know that Nikon will make an official announcement in about a month, of real products. Vaporware was coined a long time ago when Grid came out with a tablet using their own OS. Microsoft announced that people should wait until theirs, which was in development, came out. Microsoft had no tablet OS in development at the time, and it was labeled as vaporware. Grid failed as a result of people holding back.

That’s not the case here.

Upvote 0

Well, interesting... But how will Nikon adapt their existing lenses to the new mount? I know, I know. With an adapter. But will that adapter contain the mechanical parts to drive aperture? Cos most Nikon lens still use mechanical aperture control. Only the newest lenses have electronic control. What about the millions of manual Nikon lenses? MILC guys just love playing with old manual lenses. And the new shiny Nikon FF MILC won't support them? LMFAO and still possible...

Upvote 0

Jester74 said:
Well, interesting... But how will Nikon adapt their existing lenses to the new mount? I know, I know. With an adapter. But will that adapter contain the mechanical parts to drive aperture? Cos most Nikon lens still use mechanical aperture control. Only the newest lenses have electronic control. What about the millions of manual Nikon lenses? MILC guys just love playing with old manual lenses. And the new shiny Nikon FF MILC won't support them? LMFAO and still possible...

They will probably not support the older lenses with “screw” mechanical autofocus or mechanical aperture control. They say that the adapter “will work with the NIKKOR F mount lenses that are part of the Nikon digital SLR system”. That will probably exclude the older mechanical lenses.

Upvote 0

melgross said:
sdz said:
melgross said:
sdz said:

No!

Yes!

Please, just stop it! All camera companies do a bit of preannouncement. We know that Nikon will make an official announcement in about a month, of real products. Vaporware was coined a long time ago when Grid came out with a tablet using their own OS. Microsoft announced that people should wait until theirs, which was in development, came out. Microsoft had no tablet OS in development at the time, and it was labeled as vaporware. Grid failed as a result of people holding back.

Vaporware refers to every piece of hardware or software that has been announced or has as a rumor supported by company hints that does not yet exist as a shipping product.

Vaporware is marketing blather, as is Nikon's announcement.

So, I'll not stop. Why should I? This announcement was mere BS masquerading as information.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011

Jester74 said:
Nikon has a patent which is seen as the likely method they will use to adopt those non electronic lenses. It will be self contained with AF motor aperture control, and a pellicle mirror which will, of course, reduce the light going to the sensor by some amount. Sony has a similar device.
It will be expensive, have no provision for AFMA, and, IMHO mostly frustrating if not downright useless.
That's where Canon will have a big advantage, their EF lenses will work with a simple adapter that does not require all the claptrap to work.

https://nikonrumors.com/2017/09/03/lets-start-talking-about-the-upcoming-nikon-mirrorless-camera.aspx/

Nikon-patent-pellicle-translucent-mirror-autofocus-adapter-to-use-current-Nikkor-DSLR-lenses-on-a-mirrorless-camera-480x550.gif

Upvote 0
Aug 9, 2016

So it looks like Nikon are finally giving in to the limitations of their current mount, its smaller then Canons EF. Canon left the F-mount back in the 80s or 90s, can't remember, but many people were upset cause their F-mount lenses wouldn't work or needed an adapter. Why did canon do this?

Well the EF mount is larger and allowed Canon to make new exotic lenses which they couldn't do with the smaller F-mount. So Canon bit the bullet and did it. Nikon held off, scared to anger their users. Well from the images, how they light up the opening and mounting point of the camera seem to indicate they finally gave in to a new larger mount. As they state they will start making new lenses which they were limited to before cause of their smaller mount.

Upvote 0
May 11, 2017

sdz said:
melgross said:
sdz said:
melgross said:
sdz said:

No!

Yes!

Vaporware refers to every piece of hardware or software that has been announced or has as a rumor supported by company hints that does not yet exist as a shipping product.

Vaporware is marketing blather, as is Nikon's announcement.

So, I'll not stop. Why should I? This announcement was mere BS masquerading as information.

Maybe you should stop because you are misusing the term vaporware. An uninformative news release does not make the product vaporware. Vaporware refers to a product that is announced as under active development when it is not. The Nikon mirrorless has been in active development for quite a while and at this point is almost certainly in production. Something that is in production is not vaporware.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012

snoke said:
Want EF adapter.

You said this on another thread, that 45 MP Nikon mirorless with an EF adaptor would be great.

Why haven't you been shooting on an A7R2 or A7R3 the past few years then?

- A

Upvote 0