Industry News: Nikon posts another Nikon Z 9 teaser video, showcasing its 8K capabilities

canonmike

EOS R6
CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
I don't know what it is, but I still miss my 5D IV sensor from time to time. Something about that sensor just produced such rich images, as well as RAW files that graded beautifully. Maybe that 30mp sweet spot, idk. I still think that is one of Canon's best.
Considering Canon stills mfgs and sells the 5D iv body, a lot of people out there agree with you. However, if I were considering it, I would prob opt for the bargain priced 5DSr body instead, refurbished version, which one can find on the Canon store periodically, for around $1200.00.

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
I'm one of those thinking about jumping ship....The lack of resolution on the R3 make that a very hard sell to me.

I can certainly understand why you think the 24MP of the R3 is too limiting, although I doubt if you’d notice the difference compared to the 30MP of the 5DMkiv or the 20MP of the 7DMkii.

- The lack of in-body GPS (the only one that works) on the R5 make that a no-go for me as reliable GPS is essential for my work.
It only takes a moment to get a GPS reading on a phone, so why is it so important to you, to have in-body GPS? If you are concerned about matching the camera images to the phone coordinates, why not just take a photo of the phone's GPS readings as soon as you arrive at a new location?

A zoom that works in the other direction, swapped focus and zoom rings on lenses, button positions etc. seems minor in comparison to relearn to be fair.

Some people can adapt to new cameras more quickly than others. Personally I hate changing cameras more often than is necessary, due to muscle-memory issues, and of course the cost.

If you shoot landscapes or other subjects where you can take a bit of time, switching to a different control system probably wouldn’t be a problem. But if you shoot sports, wildlife or other active subjects, you could easily find yourself missing once-in-a-lifetime moments when you turn that zoom ring the wrong way, or fumble to make some other necessary adjustment.

AFAIK there are EF to Z mount adapters just as there are adapters for EF to RF so the very expensive glass should still be usable to some degree. But even with a switch the RF I'd be looking at (eventually) replacing glass over the next years anyway - I don't like adapters at all. The more stuff you have in there, the more that can go wrong.

Adaptors vary hugely, so it’s important to choose a body/lens/adaptor combination that works well enough for whatever subject matter you shoot. EF lenses works perfectly on R bodies, although RF glass definitely offers improvements in AF speed and better stabilisation.

The most recent Metabones EF-Sony adaptors seem to work very well, but I’d say that using EF lenses on a Nikon or even a Panasonic was pushing your luck. Much of course depends on whether you are shooting action or passive subjects.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I'm one of those thinking about jumping ship. I'm deeply invested in the EF ecosystem. But currently the RF offering still lacks any good body to replace my 5DmkIVs and 7DmkII.
The R3 delivers higher resolution than the 5DIV, because of the weaker OLPF.

The way they released the R3: I'm far from impressed: to keep the showstopper (for me anyway) hidden till the last moment: that's a dent in my trust in Canon.
Canon handled the R3 as usual, they have never announced the MP count of a new ILC ahead of the actual launch announcement. Your disappointment in the MP count may be showstopping for you, but probably not for the target market.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
I know Canon's party line is that the R3 was designed for a very specific audience that doesn't need/want more than 24MP but I can't help wondering if having half the resolution of Sony and Nikon isn't going to end up hurting sales among other users. Obviously, people already invested in RF glass are less likely to jump ship over this but anyone transitioning from an older DSLR mount who is planning to replace their lenses anyway may be.
Of course, it will but the people who only wanted 24 M would not have bought it.
Different cameras for different customers.
I fully expect the R1 to be an 8K camera unless Canon runs into difficulty delivering that in time for the Olympics.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
For sure, there will be a small percentage who jump ship, but selling and replacing a complete system is a very expensive move.
Not really.
Most people have not been in the RF system very long.
I am not 100% Canon anyway.
It frankly shocks me when people make such a big deal over switching systems.
Buy whatever gear that suits you.
It is none of my business.
I do not care either way.

Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
Not really.
Most people have not been in the RF system very long.
I am not 100% Canon anyway.
It frankly shocks me when people make such a big deal over switching systems.
Buy whatever gear that suits you.
It is none of my business.
I do not care either way.
It's a big deal because some people have to spend 10s of $1000s to get back to where they were with the old system. If people have a lot of disposable income I guess that is nothing for those people.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
[..]It only takes a moment to get a GPS reading on a phone[..]
In-phone GPS isn't actual GPS, it depends on the phone network providing doing a lot of the heavy lifting. And both the resolution and accuracy are at least an order of magnitude worse compared to stand alone GPS receivers.

The original comment was about reliable GPS, you dropped that qualifier in your response.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
[..]Not quite identical. Yes, the welded adapter provides additional rigidity but there are other advantages:
- compatibility with RF 1.4/2x teleconverters
- increased CIPA image stabilisation
- R mount connectivity allowing faster AF by delivering more power to the AF motors
but I agree that optically there is no benefit to upgrade if you currently have the EF version
[..]
Two users of the RF600mm on the fredmiranda forum say that they feel that the RF + RF2x performs better than the EF + EF2x, but they both admit they haven't done side-by-side comparisons.
Assuming the performance is indeed better, it's likely due to the teleconverter being a better match, not because the lens is different.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Two users of the RF600mm on the fredmiranda forum say that they feel that the RF + RF2x performs better than the EF + EF2x, but they both admit they haven't done side-by-side comparisons.
Assuming the performance is indeed better, it's likely due to the teleconverter being a better match, no because the lens is different.
My experience is that the combination of the RF 100-500mm + RF 2x is significantly better than the EF 100-400mm II + EF 2xTCIII. It might be because the RF lens is better designed to take a 2xTC, but the RF 1.4x and EF 1.4xTCIII seem to have similar effects on the respective lenses. My guess is that the RF 2x is a better extender.

Upvote 0
I know Canon's party line is that the R3 was designed for a very specific audience that doesn't need/want more than 24MP but I can't help wondering if having half the resolution of Sony and Nikon isn't going to end up hurting sales among other users. Obviously, people already invested in RF glass are less likely to jump ship over this but anyone transitioning from an older DSLR mount who is planning to replace their lenses anyway may be.

It was difficult to wrap my arms around the R3 being a mirrorless version of the 10-year-old 1DX and I kept waving my credit card in the hopes I would see a 60-80mp R3. Canon is smart enough to provide a high-resolution camera as Nikon is releasing and why they would trip and fall with the R3 is beyond me. I would be interested in comparing early sales of the R3 vs the R5 to see if other photographers feel the same way that I do?

Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
It was difficult to wrap my arms around the R3 being a mirrorless version of the 10-year-old 1DX and I kept waving my credit card in the hopes I would see a 60-80mp R3. Canon is smart enough to provide a high-resolution camera as Nikon is releasing and why they would trip and fall with the R3 is beyond me. I would be interested in comparing early sales of the R3 vs the R5 to see if other photographers feel the same way that I d

I switched to Nikon because the R lineup was dreadful (R/RP). The Z9 looks like it is coming with the 100-400 and likely the 400 S as well. These are expected by the end of the financial year along with the 600 S. And you can adapt F super tele lenses... or even EF lenses.
About time they ship in any quantity will be well into 2022 or later. And by that time other competition. No advantage at all. Marketing releases don't equal to sales or shipping.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

About time they ship in any quantity will be well into 2022 or later. And by that time other competition. No advantage at all. Marketing releases don't equal to sales or shipping.

The Z9 will last 4+ years until the Z9ii comes out. I fully expect we wont see a R3ii in 2022/2023 so I am not expecting to suddenly have a 'old' camera. I can't get hold of a RF 100-500 or 600 f/4.0 just now ether so the point is mute. If I could get a R3 now, I would be stuck with a 600 f/11 until the middle or end of 2022.

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
It only takes a moment to get a GPS reading on a phone, so why is it so important to you, to have in-body GPS? If you are concerned about matching the camera images to the phone coordinates, why not just take a photo of the phone's GPS readings as soon as you arrive at a new location?
Of course my 6D2 does GPS. But when I am traveling with my G5X II, rather than linking it with the Canon app, I will just take a shot at the new location with the phone, and then use the time and location data of the picture back home to correlate with the time stamps of the pictures. At one spot in Hawaii, I did that, and later when I was picking out photos to print for framing and decorating my guest room, I discovered that one was made on my iPhone 6S.

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
Of course my 6D2 does GPS. But when I am traveling with my G5X II, rather than linking it with the Canon app, I will just take a shot at the new location with the phone, and then use the time and location data of the picture back home to correlate with the time stamps of the pictures. At one spot in Hawaii, I did that, and later when I was picking out photos to print for framing and decorating my guest room, I discovered that one was made on my iPhone 6S.

Yes, that’s exactly what I do, but see the reply from keonkooi, who needs more accurate and reliable data than can be apparently achieved by that method.

I can fully understand his point, as the locations on Google Maps and Apple Maps (which use location data from phones) are frequently wildly inaccurate, as I’ve recently found out when trying to pin down locations in Peru and Kenya.

In-phone GPS isn't actual GPS, it depends on the phone network providing doing a lot of the heavy lifting. And both the resolution and accuracy are at least an order of magnitude worse compared to stand alone GPS receivers.

The original comment was about reliable GPS, you dropped that qualifier in your response.

Upvote 0