Industry News: Nikon posts another Nikon Z 9 teaser video, showcasing its 8K capabilities

Jul 21, 2010
Both cameras have a crazy amount of preorders.
Pretty much every camera Canon makes sells very well.
Pretty much every time people say they are going to bomb.
Like the overheating R5 and the crippled m50.
Yeah, it’s amazing how much smarter this forum is compared to Canon.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
With no end in sight for supply chain issues, dont see any upside in marking releases for an unavailable product. Niche specialty cameras in limited availability.
The a1 and R3 are selling in pretty high numbers.
It is hard to call them niche.
The a1 was never even marketed as a speciality camera.
Sony marketed the a1 as the all-in-one flagship model.
My theory is that Canon is marketing the R3 as a specialty camera just to justify the price tag.
The majority of 1DX users were never sports users.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
The Z9 will last 4+ years until the Z9ii comes out. I fully expect we wont see a R3ii in 2022/2023 so I am not expecting to suddenly have a 'old' camera. I can't get hold of a RF 100-500 or 600 f/4.0 just now ether so the point is mute. If I could get a R3 now, I would be stuck with a 600 f/11 until the middle or end of 2022.
We will almost certainly see an R1 by then.

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
I fully get my use case isn't the typical one. But there are tons of reasons to have good, very reliable GPS tagging in the body of a camera. And Canon made the 7DmkII and 5DmkIV that both do a splendid job at it. I don't think it's too much to ask of Canon to keep that feature for those of us who desperately need it in the replacement body and not be able/willing to deal with a poor mans' solution - even if we have hands-on experience in how (bad) it was before those cameras came to market - and some of us still suffering daily from that lack decades later.
Yes, clearly your use case is very different from mine. I use the phone for geotagging one way or the other when I’m traveling with my small travel camera. Around home, I am using my 6D2, often in walking distance from my house, since I am shooting pictures for the neighborhood website or newsletter and scenic things in nearby woods, including those behind my house. So a lot of the time, the GPS is used for setting the clock in the camera more than location. And if I am driving somewhere to shoot, I know where I went, usually with the destination in mind before I head out. But I’m glad to have the metadata for reference.

It is not a surprise that my G5X II doesn’t have built-in GPS. It can use the phone well enough that I can tell where I was on the Antrim Coast when I shot a picture. But I am shocked that newer and I guess somewhat more expensive R mount cameras don’t all have GPS. Since I’m not in the market for one, I haven’t paid much attention to the features or lack thereof in those cameras.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Yes, that’s exactly what I do, but see the reply from keonkooi, who needs more accurate and reliable data than can be apparently achieved by that method.

I can fully understand his point, as the locations on Google Maps and Apple Maps (which use location data from phones) are frequently wildly inaccurate, as I’ve recently found out when trying to pin down locations in Peru and Kenya.
FWIW, with my Yashica Mat 124G I do something similar, take a picture of the viewfinder, that way I not only get the location, but also the timestamp when I add an EXIF to the scanned photo. I still have to write down the shutterspeed and aperture by hand, though.

Schermafbeelding 2021-10-19 om 09.20.02.png

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
FWIW, with my Yashica Mat 124G I do something similar, take a picture of the viewfinder, that way I not only get the location, but also the timestamp when I add an EXIF to the scanned photo. I still have to write down the shutterspeed and aperture by hand, though.
It’s great that you are still using a Yashicamat - enjoy! I’ve had a few TLRs in my time, including a Rolleiflex, and a couple of obscure brands that you probably haven’t encountered - Weltaflex and Toyotaflex.

I then worked my way through a series of SLRs - Praktica, Chinon, Miranda, Fujica, Konica, Yashica, Contax, Nikon and finally Minolta, before progressing to digital. Happy days!

Upvote 0
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
NikonRumors just posted this on the Z9: https://nikonrumors.com/2021/10/20/...ly-leaked-picture-of-the-z9.aspx/#more-161850
Of the three quotes in bullet points, the third is the one that interests me the most: the price "is going to be a surprise, of the positive one".
I am not sure why Nikon would come out with a lower price on the Z 9 unless they realize they can't pack enough power into a smaller Z 8 body.
Nikon has a pretty arbitrary numbering scheme.
There is nothing saying that Z 9 has to be the flagship just like the R3 is not the Canon flagship.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
NikonRumors just posted this on the Z9: https://nikonrumors.com/2021/10/20/...ly-leaked-picture-of-the-z9.aspx/#more-161850
Of the three quotes in bullet points, the third is the one that interests me the most: the price "is going to be a surprise, of the positive one".
Thanks for the heads up. What interested me most was: "The dual-pixel sensor will allow an EVF near equal to an optical viewfinder, faster frame rates, effectively no blackout, and no significant rolling shutter." Canon's dual pixel technology is a real plus, and if Nikon has it too then it's kudos to them. Maybe Nikon js buying its sensor from Canon ;).

Upvote 0